Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Muzzle Questio

mummummum
April 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Are muzzles required on bullies if they are in a car? I've noticed both muzzled and unmuzzled co-pilots. While I am curious about this generally, I saw a gangbanger I "know" who seems to have gotten himself a pitbull. The dog was unmuzzled when I saw it in his car. Unfortunately, from what I know of this gem of a human being - he doesn't have the bully for it's sense of humour and lovability and if not now, then at some point, the dog will need to be either apprehended or rescued.

Luvmypit
April 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
As far as the law reads your dog can be unmuzzled on private property as long as its enclosed. Car is private property and its enclosed. I wouldn't flaunt it with your dog hanging out the window or anything, but I believe he is safe.

mummummum
April 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Luvmypit - I'll just have to arrange some eyes being kept on the bully (pit - that is).

Luba
April 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't be so sure myself if the vehicle is on public property.

babyrocky1
April 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I personnally think that the law is so poorly written no one knows any of these answers til they are tested in court. The logical thing from my perspective is that the dog is in your car and enclosed. What does logic have to do with Ontario though...????

Schwinn
April 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Inside your vehicle is private property. They'd have an interesting fight on thier hands if they tried to prove otherwise.

mummummum
April 22nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Inside your vehicle is private property. They'd have an interesting fight on thier hands if they tried to prove otherwise.

That's true in terms of search and seizure but I don't think privacy of property as it relates to a vehicle travelling on public thoroughfares would hold up under the legislation. If any of these factors also exist (and they are likely to exist given that this is Toronto and not Los Angeles): the windows are open or the dog is unrestrained or the vehicle is unlocked or the dog has been left unattended; then I'll bet a leaglebeagle would argue that there is a reasonable expectation that the dog may escape, have access to passersby or the vehicle may be entered by a passerby and given these probabilities, to comply with the legislation, the only acceptable step a banned breed owner can take is to use a muzzle any time the dog is outside the confines of it's owners house. It's an ugly and deeply flawed law which we can only hope is dismantled with each victory in court by brave little pitties and their people.

kaytris
April 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
There's a precedent (at least internationally) that a car is not private property: http://www.endangereddogs.com/EDDROtis.htm

babyrocky1
April 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I rememeber hearing about this heart wrenching story, I believe it was one of the reasons that the ban in Britain was abolished and why people there are stiill bitter about the ramifications of such a discusting law!