Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Murphy's Mammory Cancer

.unknown.
April 17th, 2006, 11:39 AM
So, i made a post about 2.5 weeks ago about Muprhy going for surgery to remove a large tumor on her stomach.

Well, the Biopsy results came back and it's cancer. I don't know what type of cancer, but it's super fast spreading and there is nothing they can do. She's been out of surgery for just over two weeks now and another tumor has devloped on the other side of her belly that is larger than the one they removed. She's getting little lumps all over her neck now and she will soon have to be pts. My parents are trying really hard to cope, and there is always the option of more surgery and chemo(sp) but the fact that the cancer is spreading so quickly, they are questioning the point of putting her through the pain of all that if it's not going to help her that much.

I feel so badly for her, she is so sweet and cute and really wants to play and hang out with everyone, but she just can't.

Has anyone dealt with this type of Cancer? I don't know what to do.

Prin
April 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm so sorry! I haven't had a dog with mammory cancer, but I had a dobie with liver cancer and it progressed so quickly, we barely had a chance to say good bye. I'm so sorry your family is going through this.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
April 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Awww, so sorry to hear this.:(

For an 11 yr old dog with cancer rapidly spreading, I agree with your parents and would not do any treatment either.

Beaglemom
April 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm so very sorry. :grouphug: It is extremely hard when a beloved pet falls ill. I know exactly how you and your family are feeling right now. It has been almost a year now that I had our sweet Shandy pts due to cancer. Her cancer was also fast spreading. She underwent surgery and not long after, tumors returned and they grew fast. The only choice we had was to have her pts to end her suffering. It's never an easy decision to make. You will have to weigh the pros and cons. Will her life be improved if she were to undergo more surgery and chemo? Or will this only prolong her suffering? It's never an easy decision.

doggy lover
April 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your doggy. Two years ago I had my dog Travis pts due to bone cancer, yes we could have amputated his front leg and had cemo and so on. I thought about what quality of life he would have, at 9 and a half and 120lbs he would never been able to get up the stairs to our livingroom, spending the rest of his life in the basement. He also loved to run at our cottage this would never happen again. The vet told us that even with everything he might only live another year, so would it be worth putting him through the surgery and all the losses he would suffer if he ever got over the surgery its self. I decided that it wouldn't be fair to him and if I did this to him it was only because I didn't want to let go. Having him pts was peaceful, I stayed with him the whole time, stroking in his ears which he loved and then he was gone, one more kiss and good bye. He was buried at our cottage and my daughter made him a headstone, he shall for ever run where he loved to be.

You and your parents will know what is the right thing to do and when it is the time to do it. My thoughts are with you all.:angel:

Bushfire2000
April 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I'm so very sorry about Murphy. It is a very hard thing to do puting your pet to sleep, but after all the pros and cons are weighed I'm sure you and your parents will do whats best for Murphy how ever hard it might be. Good Luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

.unknown.
April 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thank you everyone.

I don't think at this point there really are any "pros"... the Tumor grew from nothing to about 4-5 inches long and 3 inches thick in three weeks. By all rights we should be able to watch this thing grow....

I'm trying really hard not to think this way, but is there a point? The tumor is probably moving faster than the surgeons can remove it. Maybe they can try another surgery? because the side that was operated on has no growth...

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Have you had x-rays taken of Murphy's lungs? What about her abdomen area? X-rays may help in determining how far the tumors have spread.

.unknown.
April 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
not recently no.
Right now, her whole underside, along all of her breasts....is just swollen with tumors. I felt a tumor in her neck on sunday. My mom is calling the vet to make an appointment to see what they say. The vet said that they can do more surgery and maybe chemo and radiation, but my mom said Murphy was very out of it this morning, but ate food and went to the washroom and tried to play ball with her...

*sigh* I dont know. they are thinking of just having her pts, the vet said that the tumors will just progress until they break through her skin.
:sad:

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I know exactly how you are feeling. Last year we went through something very similar with our Shandy. Her tumors returned near and at the surgical site. With Shandy, the vet recommended having her pts as her cancer was extremely aggressive since the tumors had returned extremely quickly. We decided that it was the best that we could do for her. We didn't think that further surgery was in her best interest as it would only put her through more pain only to have the cancer return and possibly progress to her lungs.

If you trust your vet, ask them for their advise at the best course of treatment for Murphy. Most vets will be straight and up front with you, telling you what they would do in such a situation as if it was their own pet. Most vets are very caring and only want what is best for their patients.

You, your family and Murphy will be in my thoughts and prayers. What ever you and your family decide, remember that you did the very best for Murphy and provided her with a very loving and caring home.:grouphug:

.unknown.
April 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
ugh. im so not ready to let her go. thanks for your thoughts everyone. We're going to talk to the vet on friday about euthanasia and if there are any possible solutions.

.unknown.
April 18th, 2006, 03:27 PM
My Mom just talked to the vet and she suggested since murphy was still eating, drinking and eliminating like normal, that we get pain killers to just make her comfortable. Then we can just take it day by day.