Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary Thing Happened

AshleyMic
April 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hi All
Just thought I would share something that happened to Dale and I this weekend. We were at the park on Saturday and we were having a great time, this is not an off leash park but Dale has a super long flexi leash so we still have a blast running and playing with every stick we see. Anyway off in the distance I saw a very large pitbull and all of a sudden it starts running towards us with the speed of a train, I was horrified to see he was not on a leash. Now I love all breeds of dog but any extremely large dog running towards my dog makes me nervous. So this dog did not stop and the only thing I could think of to do was pull Dale behind me and put myself infront so if this dog was going to attack he would get me and not my baby. As he got closer I saw he did have a muzzel on but I was still scared because of the speed he was coming at us, anyway I started screaming at the dog and the owner and finally the owner started yelling and the dog stopped not three feet from us. I was so angry and scared, if anything ever happened to Dale I just dont know what I would do. I know most people who let their dogs off leash are confident that their dog will not hurt anyone but if I dont know a dog I do not feel confident having him have unlimited access to my furbaby. Dale and I are at that park almost everyday and we obey the park rules and I feel that everyone else should as well. Anyway sorry for the long rant but I was really upset by this and just needed to vent.
Dale's Mom

Prin
April 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
That's no fun. Is that person a regular too? Do you think it would happen again?

AshleyMic
April 17th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I have never seen that dog there before but I think that now that the weather is getting nicer a lot of onwers who dont go to the park much in the winter will start coming out. I have been taking Dale to that park for a while now and that includes when it was freezing cold, he loves it so much so I refuse to let anything stop us from going. That said I am not willing to risk my baby's safety so if we do see that dog again and he is off leash I will tell the owner that if he does not put his dog on it's leash I will be forced to call animal services and I hope having his dog off leash is worth the ticket he will receive.There are so many dogs who enjoy that park and all their parents obey the rules, there are just a few irresponsible people who are trying to ruin things for the rest of us, grrrrrr