Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy is too active

t.pettet
April 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Am fostering a 6 mo. old chi - schnauzer female mix, 13 lbs. blonde, long legs, slim build and probably the quickest to learn pup have ever met. She was given up because she's too active! and spent alot of her short life being swatted with a newspaper and yelled at for being a lively puppy. Carol's daughter (a first time BYB) bred the mother (schnauzer mix) with her other dog (chi-mix) and they produced 5 pups, gave this one to Carol for X-mas as a surprise. Carol thought crating was cruel and paper-trained but puppy was given free run of the house for 8 hrs. a day while she worked. The resident dog (a mature female shih-tzu) and puppy never really hit it off and as the pup got older she started to face the nips and dominant nature of the shih-tzu by fighting back. To be in a home for 8 hrs. and being picked on by the resident dog this little girl had to get her energy out somehow so got into the toilet paper, garbage etc. and what-ever else she could find to amuse herself. All toys and chew bones were viewed as possessions of the older dog so the pup destroyed whatever else was within her reach out of frustration and boredom. Since she's moved in here (1 week ago today) I've crated her when I've had to go out and over-night and she's only made 1 piddle mistake, she's tearing around the back-yard and playing in the pool with my 2 youngest dogs and having a great time. She's learned to sit, do her business outside, wear a collar and go for walks on a leash, she retrieves balls, brings them back to my feet, removes toys from the pool and knows to have a nap in the p.m. What a super little puppy, loving and full of fun. She has one habit thats so cute, she crawls under the bed and sofa on her back and lies there making these weird yippy noises. Took her to vets for vaccinations (she never even noticed the needles) as she's only had 1 set of shots at 8 weeks (amazed she didn't catch distemper or parvo). She's so loving and cuddly and I can't believe her nature is so great considering her first 6 mos. Am looking for the perfect home for this little bundle of kisses - the easiest foster I've probably ever had the enjoyment of knowing.

OntarioGreys
April 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for taking this puppy in and giving her guidance and love with boundaries and a chance for a much better life she sounds like a real treasure. I wish you luck at finding the perfect home for her

sealady
April 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I also say THANK YOU.
I have one that has a story almost like this poor baby's.
Don't you just want to reach out and shake some people.
But the best thing that happened was the day this one came to live with you.
Fosters have the key to getting these dogs on the road to their forever home.
Good luck with finding just the right home.
SeaLady

Soroush
April 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for fostering this cute little thing.

Such puppies are not hard to deal with. Just give them something to do and make sure they enjoy some ownership of their fun-times(not toys, food or things, but the actual experience).

I personally have a much harder time dealing with Lucy when she's all quiet and hiding in corners than when she's too active(zoomies after zoomies!).

An active puppy is thriving for activity and it's not that hard to throw a noise-making toy in front of such a puppy, but when you see a puppy scared of different things and hiding in corners talking to itself, then things become frustrating.

If I didn't live in a small apartment I would take this baby without any hesitation. My living room is already a race-track. Can't imagine having another lane added to it!

meb999
April 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM
she sounds adorable!! Thanks for taking her in -- and keep us updated on her!

t.pettet
April 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
little active pixie-face (my nick-name for her) got a great home yesterday with a 60ish lady and her semi-disabled daughter. They have a fenced-in yard and have been waiting for a little girl for about a year now since their 14 yr. old wheaten had to be pts. Very knowledgable dog people (have always had terriers) and someone home all the time. This happy result makes my day, week, month etc.

chico2
April 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
t.pettet,that sounds absolutely perfect for her,thank's for teaching her the ropes and giving her a chance at a good life:thumbs up

dee3041
April 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone, First I want to apologize if I am placing this in the wrong area, I still am feeling my way around this site. If so please forgive me.
I am a member of a rescue league out of Hamilton Ontario, I recently lost the 2nd of two mini's that I adopted thru rescue a few years ago, and although I am still active in rescue, my heart is crying out to adopt another 2 female schnauzers, I cant imagine my home being without this breed. My 2 girls were our greatest joy. I have looked everywhere, but it seems that all the schnauzers are in the US rescues. If anyone can point me to another place to look I would appreciate it. I have excellent references, and am retired and at home all the time. thanks in advance for your help and again, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
You need to start your own thread.. not add to someone else's, cause people may never read your post.

Depending if age is a factor there are a few listed in ontario rescues and shelters on petfinder.com