Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canine Mastitis in Nursing Dog

semperfismiths
April 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Has anyone had any experience with canine mastitis? I discovered that a teet on my dog was very swolen and hard and immediately rushed her to the emergency vet. She was diagnosed with canine mastitis (she recently had a litter of 10 puppies this past week). The vet I spoke with said she advised against letting the puppies continue to nurse, however, information I have found on the internet suggests otherwise. In fact, a couple of the sites I visited said that allowing the puppies to nurse (so long as it isn't uncomfortable for the mother) would help to draw out the infection. Has anyone dealt with this and if so, did you allow your puppies to continue to nurse, and what were the results? I ask because I am having no success whatsoever in hand-feeding the puppies...I have tried both bottles and syringes given to my by the vet, and I'm at my wits end! Thanks for any advise you can give!

badger
April 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
'Drawing out the infection' sounds like an old wives tale, not that many OWT's aren't right on the money, just not all of them, and not always. Conversely, nursing puppies could spread the infection, since they do not always feed from the same teat.
I'd listen to your vet.

erykah1310
April 17th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I had a dog that had mastitis as well and the antibiotics cleared it up well. The vet that we had went to encouraged the puppies to continue to nurse and the infection did not spread. However, I strongly advise listening to YOUR vet. Although in my specific case the infection "cleared" up, your vet knows best.
As far as the hand feeding I regret I have no advice for you, but seeing as though the pups are around one week old I would strongly suggest seeking some help with this asap. Puppies need to eat frequently and it is important for thier well being and survival. Im sure that you will get good advice shortly on this site from some of the others, however please talk to your vet asap about this.
That would have been my first call for help (the vet) had i been in your situation.

OntarioGreys
April 17th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Maybe this article on feeding puppies will helphttp://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/feeding.html