Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nylabone Alert

rainbow
April 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I just read about this nylabone alert...

www.purelypets.com/healthalert/nylabonewarning.htm

joeysmama
April 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
This is upsetting to me. I'm careful not to give Cooper anything that's a hard substance since I heard about the trouble with greenies. But he loves the nylabones. I buy him the large ones becaue he gets a long time to enjoy them before they're whittled down too small. I throw them away then.

Do you think that the more digestible ones are still ok??? I buy him the brown ones that get a little melty. They have bacon or cheese flavor, and I can't remember what else. I was buying them specifically because I thought they were safe.

If they aren't safe what do you think is a good safe chew bone to give him?? He doesn't much like to chew on his rubber or plastic toys. (Our shoes are another story.:rolleyes: )

Dogastrophe
April 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM
After reading the linked article, there are a couple of things that should be noted. First, the article refers to a couple of products within the entire Nylabone product line and not to all products. Under the right circumstances, these products can be safe.

Second, and more important, chew toys, regardless of the make or manufacturer, should not be left with your pups without constant supervision. I let my chewers chew apart all sorts of products which are non-digestable, but only when they are with me and only when I feel like putting in the effort to extract every piece of chewed material from their mouths prior to ingestion.

jawert1
April 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm with Dogastrophe, the only Nylabone products mentioned are the gummy or flexible ones, not the type I give to my 2 (great big souper bones). Also agree with they should never just be given to a dog unsupervised, something that all of their packaging clearly states. A tragedy to be sure, but I won't stop giving the type I do to Simon and Peach since a) they aren't the type that's listed as being problematic and b) they only get those when I'm home, otherwise they're out of reach. Joeysmama, I wouldn't worry as long as it's the really hard nylas, and given most of us are superbly aware of our dog's every twitch, I think you're safe :) Thanks for raising the alarm rainbow, hopefully that will register with those who may be giving the gummy types :)

muckypup
April 16th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I don't like Nylabones. One of my dogs bit one in two and in the process broke a tooth down to the root. Her tooth needed to be capped, over $1000.00 later...

SnowDancer
April 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
My Eskie loves the Nylabones that are green in the centre with white bumpy ends - they come in S, M and L. When the first warning came out re Nylabones I tried to determine if they were the offending culprits, but to no avail. The bumps are similar to those on Buddy Bones. He hasn't broken one so far - and this dog's teeth can snap anythng - and I think they help his teeth.