Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some advice

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM
While at work yesterday, an old man I know asked me if I was missing a dog. I said no of course. He apparently found one wandering on the highway near town, actually there were two. He took one and someone else took the other dog. He took it to the vet because it was starving got it fixed up and is in love with it. Calls him Lucky.
O.K. the problem is that my kids came home from school and said that the neighbors have lost two dogs. The neighbors are nice enough people but the dogs have been missing for a while and they haven't put any signs or anything up. Do I tell them that two dogs have been found? I don't have any idea if these are their dogs. They were found many miles away. Help!
I told the man that these people had lost dogs, is that enough or do I have to tell the neighbors?
This is not the first time this old man has found a dog and looked after it and lost it to the origional owners. I don't want to be the one to brake his heart again. But if it was one of my dogs I'd surely want it back.

mom_to_many
April 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I for one think the old man should keep the dog after checking with local vets, animal control, etc..to see if the original family contacted any agency when the dogs first went missing. If the dogs were never reported or as you say..posters never went up, the old man deserves the dog. He is obviously a caring person to take it to the vet and bring back to health.

jawert1
April 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Call me cold hearted, but if they didn't put forth the effort other than to casually mention it sometime later that they were missing dogs, then Mr. Nice Old Guy is now the rightful and caring owner. That and you don't know for sure those two were theirs. I wouldn't go out of my way for people that don't exhaust every means and effort to find their lost pups, and it sounds like those 2 have met with very friendly new families that will care.

mummummum
April 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Hmmm that's an ethical dilemma if ever there was one. The old fella clearly deserves to have a dog given his demonstrated care and concern for this little foundling. But, as a dog person I would wany my dog back if it had been found and realize that sometimes it's not practical to put up posters/flyers (ie. if you live on a farm or in a largely rural area). Perhaps you could call Animal Services and ask if anyone has reported two dogs missing to be certain that the neighbours have or have not taken that step. Then if you know how to reach the neighbours you may want to call them, confirming that you learned of their lost dogs through your son and - as a helpful dog-loving neighbour of course - ask what they have done so far to locate their dogs and offer them some helpful ideas/ resources. If they have done little or nothing that satisfies you that they have taken almost every step you yourself would take to locate a lost dog then your conscience should rest easy that the "stars have crossed" uniting a dog and a dogperson who cares.

Frenchy
April 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I vote for the old man.Why your neighbors lost 2 DOGS ? I don't know their story but they don't sound like responsable pet owners.The dogs are in good hands now.

Lucky Rescue
April 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I know if I lost my Chloe, I would have signs plastered everywhere.

I have no idea if these people tried to find their dogs, but if they didn't, then I say leave them where they are.

mafiaprincess
April 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
The dog doesn't sound like it was necessarily being cared for in a way we'd all applaud anyhow. If I lost my dog I'd be everywhere calling everyone. Doesn't sound like it's a huge deal to the family. Dogs are probably better off now.

Cricket
April 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM
If this old gentleman has taken the time to take the dog to the vet & get it fixed up then he deserves the right to keep it. If this family didn't take the time to at least contact the vet clinic's in the area where - where in a rural community people contact first - then they don't deserve them.

We're looking at this the wrong way - maybe the old guy didn't find the dog - maybe the dog found him for a reason!

joeysmama
April 16th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Boy, I think I have to cast my vote for the elderly gentleman. He took the time to ask if anyone had lost a dog, he's taking care of the dog, and from the sounds of it the original owners weren't overly concerned that the dogs were missing.

I'm not going to judge them on the dogs going missing. There was a family here in town whose two dogs got out and they went crazy trying to find them. They were devastated. Posters everywhere you looked !! Judging from the effort they put into finding them I'm pretty certain that it happened very quickly and they weren't bad owners.

But if someone doesn't care to put effort into finding a lost dog, who could be cold and hungry or injured, then you have to wonder how much attention and care the poopr pups were getting to begin with.

rainbow
April 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
We're looking at this the wrong way - maybe the old guy didn't find the dog - maybe the dog found him for a reason!

Good point, Cricket :thumbs up

My vote`s for the old guy too.:highfive:

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I think I'm going the way of the majority. He(the older man) took the dog to the local Vet if they(the owners) would have contacted anyone they would have asked him. I told him(the old man) about them(the possible owners) so I'm sure he'll take it from there. I reallly think he's the right choice.

sealady
April 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Let me put it this way, if I lost my dog just about the whole world would know. these people didn't seem to really care.
Let the old man keep his new friend.
SeaLady

loveyadogs
April 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
2 dogs
one for sure un neutered
older man gets it help, looked at and fixed!:love:
i would just NOT mention anything, just go about you day, knowing there are caring people out there:love:

Bushfire2000
April 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Just to be clear I don't know if he got the dog nuetered, in fact, I doubt it. The dog was treated for starvation. I was at work so my time to talk was limited. It might have already been nuetered I didn't ask and he didn't say. I just know that he took it in because it wasn't pooping just peeing and he was concerned about how skinny it was.

starr
April 18th, 2006, 11:57 PM
IF the owners wanted to find their dog, my opinion is that they need to do the legwork because if they bothered to call the vet(s) and give the dog(s) description, they'd get the same information you have and probably locate their dog. It doesn't sound to me like they care much if the dogs had been missing for awhile and they just got around to asking you but haven't done much else. You mentioned that the dog the elderly gentleman found was under-nourished. If my dogs went missing for only a few days...(which they wouldn't without me being in a royal panic on hour one), but IF they did, no one would find them starving because they are well fed, regularly.

We found ourselves in the same situation as this elderly man a few years ago...a Golden pup wandered onto our acreage. Our dogs kind of "adopted" him. We went for walks hoping he'd suddenly realize where he was from and head home. We contacted neighbors, the little general store at the lakeside community where we live, the vet (we only have one), the pound, the gas station. We put up a few posters, too. Nothing. Finally a month goes by and we decide that he needs something done with him but by now he's totally melded with the family, including our two small kids. So, we get his shots done and make a date for neutering. 4 days later and 1 day before his neutering a car comes down our driveway and some people jump out and tell me that we have "their dog". I won't get into details but they described a scar he had, and they were right, it was him. The claimed that one day he disappeared and they thought coyotes got him. They said a family member went by on horseback and saw a Golden by our house so they came to check it out.

I told them about how we'd tried to find them and that we'd had his shots done (it turned out they hadn't done them yet) and the plans for neutering the next day. They were horrified as they said the didn't want him neutered and were glad to find him "in time". Long story short they were NOT going to go without their dog. We reluctantly gave him back.

Several times since then, he wandered back "home" and we had to call his people to come and get him..sometimes it took a day or more for them to show up as they always had an excuse. Then he stopped coming and we heard that they were tying him up because he wouldn't stay home. (Funny thing was, he never left us). It was horrible because he always looked so ratty and skinny when we saw him that we were getting ready to whisk him off to a shelter in a town 5 hours away in the hopes that he'd get a better home. BUT, we kept thinking "ethically" instead of looking towards the best interests of the dog. This past winter he was hit by a car on the highway.

Can you say "guilty", boys and girls?

Again, if these dogs were running loose on the highway and this was typical behavior, I say leave the dog with the elderly man and just let your neighbors find out on their own. If they truly care enough they'll take the time to make the right calls. If you tell them..... they get the dog or dogs back and then the animals are hurt as a result, could you forgive yourself?

I know we'll never forget "our Golden boy" and what we "should have done".

Starr

starr
April 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM
We live in a very rural area and finding lost dogs or locating owners is tedious. However, when we first moved her 14 years ago, our first dog suddenly up and went for a walk on her own. My husband and I were instantly in two vehicles dividing up the community, and knocking on every blooming door we could find. The plan was to take pictures around the next day after work.

Fortunately we didn't have to as our little goofball came back home while we were out looking for her! We made certain it didn't happen a second time. I realize that it may be difficult to go on the hunt for a lost pet but our philosophy is that if we don't have time/resources to care for our animals, which includes looking for him or her if he/she does happen to get away accidentally, we shouldn't have them.

I hope I don't offend anyone here for offering this point of view. I know everyone in the forum wouldn't be here if they didn't love their animals. I agree that if any of our dogs went missing I'd not want someone to just keep them but as a number of people have stated, the elderly man tried to find the owners and the owners haven't done much to find their dogs. That information as well as the condition of the animal was what convinced me. :thumbs up

Franco
April 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
I would still inform the original owners.
Imagine if the thing happened to you.
I know I would kill myself if either of my two cats went missing. But they won't, because I am ever-watchful over them.
Franco

Franco
April 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
We live in a very rural area and finding lost dogs or locating owners is tedious. However, when we first moved her 14 years ago, our first dog suddenly up and went for a walk on her own. My husband and I were instantly in two vehicles dividing up the community, and knocking on every blooming door we could find. The plan was to take pictures around the next day after work.

Fortunately we didn't have to as our little goofball came back home while we were out looking for her! We made certain it didn't happen a second time. I realize that it may be difficult to go on the hunt for a lost pet but our philosophy is that if we don't have time/resources to care for our animals, which includes looking for him or her if he/she does happen to get away accidentally, we shouldn't have them.

I hope I don't offend anyone here for offering this point of view. I know everyone in the forum wouldn't be here if they didn't love their animals. I agree that if any of our dogs went missing I'd not want someone to just keep them but as a number of people have stated, the elderly man tried to find the owners and the owners haven't done much to find their dogs. That information as well as the condition of the animal was what convinced me. :thumbs up

I agree with you. My two cats will NEVER get lost because I am constantly with my eye on them and if I am too busy to watch over them, ... well, I lock doors and windows and keep 'em safe!!!

chico2
April 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I would pretend I never met the older gentleman,know nothing of any dogs found,as long as they are now well taken care of.
The real owner could start a campaign(posters etc..) trying to find them,something they have obviously not done:sad:
Then the"new"owner can decide what to do if he sees Lost-Flyers.