Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can I wash a feather bed? Cat peed on it.

Toonces
April 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Fisrt off Happy easter everyone!

I need some advise, I am in Vancouver visiting my step kids, long story short they have a 1 yr old unaltered male cat (I am taking him in tomorrow to be neutered) because their mom is too cheap and lets him roam the neighbourhood. This morning he jumped in bed with me and peed all over, they have a feather bed and I wanted to know if anyone has ever washed one in a washing machine.

Am trying to get this mess cleaned up before my husbands ex comes home and finds out

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Does it have a care tag? That would tell you if you can wash it.

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM
P. S. If it's her cat you could let her worry about it. Or call a laundry/dryclearner they could tell you.

Toonces
April 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
There is no tag on it, I am just going to throw it in the wash anyway. I would love to let her just worry about it but I really don't want to hear her go on. I would rather look after it myself, if I let her look after it it would never get cleaned just like the cat would never be fixed :evil:

mummummum
April 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Throw in some white canvas sneakers if you have any or a whole bunch of clean tennis balls/ clean hard rubber balls and wash it on the cold setting. Same with the dryer. The only problem which may arise will be clumping if the washer isn't large enough or you don't have anything in there to "beat" the feathers into submission:eek:

domesticzookeep
April 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hopefully it's not too late....

Needs to be dry cleaned....but not all cleaners will have a big enough machine.

When I had my queen done (after one of my foster puppies did the same) - I phoned 1/2 dzn places before I found one that could take it....and even then, it cost $60+....

C.
:ca:

Shaykeija
April 16th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I have a queen down also. Just go to the laundry matt and use one of the oversize washers. Hot water and Javax and soap. I do this all the time with mine and its fine. Takes a lot of time to dry though. Good luck

PetFriendly
April 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I was my down duvet a few times a year in the washing machine. My machine is a front loader though so its pretty big and washer more like the laundry mat machines. I use warm water, just a little soap and nothing else. The tennis balls are good if you have them, but I find I only need them for the dryer part.

Toonces
April 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone. I got is done, washed and dried and back on the bed PHEW!! no one will be any wiser.

I will post a pic of this guy when I am back in On, he is gorgeous, all white and fluffy with one yellow and one blue eye.