Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's ear flaps are swollen

Bea Dyer
April 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi, has anyone run into this?? My dog Beau is a black lab, almost 5 years old, I just noticed that his ear flaps are swollen and seem tender when I touch them. He won't let me see inside for mites although I think he would have been scratching more if that was the case. He hasn't been any different at all, he is eating fine and doing all the goofy things he normally does. He just started the head shaking after I went to touch his ears. What would cause this??

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 10:20 PM
If I were you, I`d take him to the vet....there`s obviously something wrong.:pawprint:

Bea Dyer
April 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I have already called the emergency number for our vet, and he is set for first thing in the morning. I was very curious to know if this is something common. But thanks for the reply.;)

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Bea...glad to hear you are taking him to the vet. Please let us know the results.:pawprint:

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Swollen in what way? There could be a hematoma in the ear flap from shaking too hard. Whatever it is, the doggy definitely needs treatment. I hope your vet talks to you about ear cleaning and allergies because those are things you really have to deal with when you have a lab.

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Goodluck at the visit and hope the problem is something minor that is easily treated like an ear infection, and not a symptom of an auto immune disease

let us know , if an automimmune disease there is a way to treat without resorting to lifelong use of prednisone

SunGurl372
April 17th, 2006, 10:22 PM
There could be a hematoma in the ear flap from shaking too hard. Whatever it is, the doggy definitely needs treatment.

My lab mix, Faith, had this same condition. The doc said it was from shaking her head too hard, most likely from irritation from small bugs (lived in rural Louisiana at the time). The doc recommended surgery, which we opted for. The only other alternative was to let it resolve on its own, which typically results in shriveled, deformed ears.

Let us know how it goes at the vet!

Dogastrophe
April 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
About a year and a half ago my Lucy got into something which caused a fairly severe reaction. Her overall behaviour was unchanged but her ears became quite red, tender, and her ear flaps swelled up. A trip to the vet, some meds and an ear cream fixed the problem.