Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs off leashes grrr

shelly75
April 15th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I hate when people leave dogs off the leah in general ( out side of off leash parks off course) but it pisses me off even more when the owners are in a store and the dog is unattended.

Tonight I went to the store with my dd age 5 and french-Fry. Thankfully some lady saw and warned us that there was a large dog outside alone next thing I know I saw the dog and it came running at my daughter:mad: I have never moved so fast in my life to push dd behind me and lift French-fry up over my head. The stupid owners comes out all calm and says "oh he just wants to sniff your dog hes not after your daughter" the dog was not moving towards my dog my dog was exact opposite side of my dd and even if he was my dog is deathly scared of other dogs and this doesn't help the situation as I am trying to get her used to other dogs, and to top it off the guy followed me back in the store and left his dog alone again:mad: I told the owner "that guy has a large dog outside not tied up and it chrged at me, my kid and my dog can you please have someone stand with the dog" (there were three of them) and first the guy refused:mad: he finaly gave in and had his brother stand with the dog but GRRRRR. How damn hard is it either tie your dog up, have someone stand with him or dont bring him at all

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
May I add my "Grrrrr" to yours?

Off leash and untrained dogs are the bane of my existance these days. Some people just don't think the leash law applies to them. Carry a cell phone and call the police next time.

I have a pit bull and seeing some dog charging at us, growling/barking, while the idiot owners stand there saying "It's okay - he's friendly" is going to be the death of me. Their faces change quickly when I reply, "But mine ISN'T!!"

The stupid owners comes out all calm and says "oh he just wants to sniff your dog hes not after your daughter"

Yeah, right. Why should it bother you to see a large, strange dog running at your daughter??:rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 15th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I would have been pissed if I were you too - a leash law is a law no more how well trained your dog is, but it does not sound like his dog was well trained enough to be outside by itself especially if he came running at your daughter like that - sounds like that owner is a bit over confident to me.
I also dont agree with leaving your dog outside unattended while you shop. Even if he totally trusts his dog - whose to say someone won't come along and snatch him.

As for as getting used to other dogs - I am dealing with the same thing with Joey - one on leash dog and one off leash dog doesnt exactly make the task of socializing any easier.

I guess thats one thing about owning a dog - we have to put up with those owners that arent considerate of other dog owners that do care about the safety of their pets.

mafiaprincess
April 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I was thinking while taking Cider on a marathon walk today about this. And was so frusterated. I pointed out to a woman who's dog charged mine on a boardwalk path that there are signs everywhere saying your dog has to be leashed.. She got snotty with me.. I told her that it would be within my rights to protect my dog if I thought it was in danger.

And that if her dog is going to approach, hump and snarl, that someone might accidentally boot it like a football cause they were scared. She got really angry and huffy but magically produced a leash from nowhere, and leashed her dog.

Outside a leash free park, I don't want to see anyone's dog off leash. I don't care if it is a toy poodle or a dane. I don't know your dog, and I don't want an upclose experience with a potentially unfriendly dog.. whether I have a dog with me or not..

sealady
April 16th, 2006, 01:34 AM
We take the Westies with us when we go on vacation.
My one loves to walk the beach with me.
But I had to stop taking that early walk because of very large dogs off the leash.
One came charging at us, the owner saying he's OK he won't bite.
I just had one question, why was the hair on his back up?
Another time I was alone and this couple let their big dog lose and it came running up to me, yes it was friendly but I really didn't like a wet dog with sand jumping up on me leaving me all wet. (not at six AM while it was still a bit cold, wait till the sun was out and it was hot)
SeaLady

Soroush
April 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Man you people are chickens!

I bet none of you have tried door-to-door delivery(of whatever)! That's when you'll know the real meaning behind "FEAR"!

Let's put it this way. No sane person leashes their dog while at home, but again, no sane person should allow their doberman stand by the door when a stranger is trying to deliver their g*d-d**m pizza and wings!

I said goodbye to my **** a few hundred times while delivering pizza in my teen years.

sealady
April 16th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Soroush,
You gave me a smile before calling it a night.
This is why I keep my door blocked off, my girls may look like a small cute ball of white fur when seeing one at a time, but to see four come charging?
Nope, I would'nt like it.
SeaLady

BernerLver
April 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
It's irresponsible owners like the ones described that cause all dog owners (even those of us who ARE responsible) to be painted with the same brush by some people.

Very frustrating.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
OMG I took Joey for his walk today - and we ran into not one - not two - but three off leash doggies. Is there a new off leash law in my town that I dont know about. :evil: Gee I hope I am not breaking the law by having Joey on a leash. :D

The first one I hadnt even gotten 20 steps from my house when a big lab comes running at my dog full speed - its owner jogs by - don't worry hes friendly - well my dog is not friendly with all dogs, and it doesnt help socialize him when he has to deal with your friendly off leash dog in his face.

The second was a lab too well trained but off leash - I guess the law doesnt apply to some people.

The third came out of a driveway no owner in sight and started approaching Joey - well Joey freaked at the dog - and I yelled at it to go away - not sure what else to do.

I think I am going to put the dog control number in my cell phone - and remind people of the law or they can pay the fine - it would serves them right - dumb dog owners :mad:

PetFriendly
April 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Unless you know where the dog lives, animal control will likely get there too late to catch the dog... But if you always see the dogs in the same places doing the same things you can ask them to spot check the area more regularly.