Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old Mother Hubbard

meb999
April 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I usually give Buster 'Buddy biscuits' by cloud Star (Ingredients:
Unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour, cooked chicken, dehydrated garlic, vegetable oil, lecithin, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative)), but today I bought him some Original flavor Mother Hubbard biscuits and HE FREAKED OUT!!
He absolutely adores them. for the past hour, he's been sitting in front of the pantry, crying. He wants another one of those biscuits. Plus, they don't have corn!! Woohoo!

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Molasses, Deboned Chicken , Eggs, Whole Ground Apples, Whole Ground Carrots, Garlic, Sea Salt.

phoenix
April 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
That's awesome! Glad he likes them. My dogs don't care for anything Mother Hubbard that I've tried, unfortunately!

chico2
April 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I buy Mother Hubbards "couch-potatoe"treats for Bailey my walking-companion and she loves them.
She's a little on the chunky side,but these things are low-cal:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2006, 07:59 PM
The Mother Hubbard biscuits are great, but VERY pricey.

I make my own dog cookies, and Chloe goes wild over them!:D

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 01:21 AM
That's awesome! Glad he likes them. My dogs don't care for anything Mother Hubbard that I've tried, unfortunately!
Me too! Jemma's old owner used to eat the peanut butter ones, but Jemma can't digest them and everything else, she just hates.

I give them Northern Biscuits. I usually get the lamb and laketrout. They're among the only cookies out there that have no wheat in them. They also have wheat free bison cookies and venison and apple cookies (those ones are hard to not try... They smell goooood.. I think they smell better to me than to the dogs though- they prefer the fishy ones and the bison ones).

meb999
April 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Jemma's old owner used to eat the peanut butter ones, but Jemma can't digest them .

But could her old owner digest them?!! I wonder how they tasted....:p

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Well, they still make them, so by all means, try one out.:D

shannonRN
April 17th, 2006, 08:03 AM
My dogs will eat--and love--whatever the heck I give them by hand, even if it were a clump of dirt....but I buy them Canidae Snap-Biscuits. Here's a product listing for them (not a retail site) http://www.canidae.com/treats/snap-biscuits/original.html. There's a typo in the ingred list though--barley isn't really listed twice on the food label.

I was pretty happy to find a biscuit that actually has a decent amount of meat in it and they're not too expensive. And the dogs have minty-fresh breath :) Honestly though I never worried too much about having supreme quality treats--my dogs don't get all that much of them and don't have allergies, so if they like it, I don't worry if the treats are a little less than perfect.

Let me know how those OMH peanut butter treats taste.

Beaglemom
April 17th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I buy the Old Mother Hubbard Original biscuits. Both Misty and Princess love them! Both of them will stare at the location of where they are kept and they will whine and bark until someone gives in. Princess started doing this before we ever gave her one. Now, all we have to do is just raise our arm in the direction of the biscuits and they are right there in their most perfect sits, wagging their tails, whining and barking in the high pitched "I want some" bark of theirs!

jessick
April 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Isnt the 'Wellness' pet food made by Old Mother Hubbard?
My dog goes crazy for both................:pawprint:

Prin
April 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yep. Old Mother Hubbard makes Wellness.:)

Skryker
April 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Me too! Jemma's old owner used to eat the peanut butter ones, but Jemma can't digest them and everything else, she just hates.

I give them Northern Biscuits. I usually get the lamb and laketrout. They're among the only cookies out there that have no wheat in them. They also have wheat free bison cookies and venison and apple cookies (those ones are hard to not try... They smell goooood.. I think they smell better to me than to the dogs though- they prefer the fishy ones and the bison ones).

Haven't tried the OMH yet, but my doggies (and the cat!) LOVE Northern Biscuits Lamb and Laketrout and the Turkey and Cranberry biscuits, as well as Performatrin Ultra Salmon and Wild Rice treats. They go nuts for the fishy cookies. :D I almost sampled one out of curiousity, but the fishy smell turned me off. Performatrin makes a Wild Berry and Yogurt treat, too, that might be awful hard to resist tasting. Gosh, the animals eat so much better than we do! :love:

Prin
April 18th, 2006, 05:29 PM
No, the venison and apple ones smell great (no fish- I don't even think about tasting the fishy ones :yuck: )... Too bad I'm allergic to oats. They'd be the ultimate camping snack.:D

Skryker
April 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
And nice and crunchy to keep your teeth clean on the trail! But, hmm, it's not such a bad idea...the venison and apple ones and the turkey/cranberry ones...travel well, balanced nutrition.