Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skin problem with cat

about2giveup
April 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
my cat is 6 yrs. old the last two years i have taken her to 4 different vets spent around 2 thousand dollars and i cant afford to do that any more so i have not taken her to the vet in about 3 months. The vets have done blood test urine test, skin scrapes, you name it and its most likely been done. It started out with sores on face and legs, stomach, hair was completely gone she was scratching all the time and licking. Now the sores are starting to clear up but every now and then she will start licking her stomach till it turns red and a watery clear substance starts to ooze out and were ever she walks it drips all over the floor leaving a sticky film on the wood and ceramic floor. Any ideas of what this can be, she has been fixed and when this oozing starts looks like her belly is swollen a little. Can anyone help with my cat she is ruining my new house were ever she sits she leaves a spot.:fingerscr

badger
April 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
While this must be very frustrating for you, imagine what your poor cat is experiencing!
What kind if diet is she eating? Have you tried her on different foods ie with no grains whatsoever and alternative meats such as bison and duck?
All I can think of is a violent allergic reaction to her diet or something else in her environment (cleaning products, etc.) or some kind of immune disorder.
Please don't give up on her. There are alot of knowledgeable people here who may be able to help.

jesse's mommy
April 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure I can be any help, but I have a suggestion that may help others help you. Do you have any pictures of the sores that you can post here? It might help some of the members that have experience with this. I wish you the best of luck with finding some solutions.

about2giveup
April 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
tried different foods dont remember the name brand but it ended in cd and tried another one but cant remember it. dot you have any suggestions of a food that i could try. I think the other on ended with zd. The foods came from the vet.

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Your story sounds similiar to mine. I took in a cat who started getting small blisters, which turned into sores. He scratched his ear into hamburger and nothing could stop it.

I too spent a great deal of money on tests, scrapings, biopsies, medications etc etc.

The lesions went into his mouth and eyes to the point where I decided to euthanize him since he was suffering greatly.

At this point, the vet put him on Prednisone and I had to fill the prescription at a drug store. It was a miracle and within 48 hours, all the lesions in his mouth and eyes cleared up and he never itched again.

The downside was that the Prednisone killed him, but gave him 3 extra years of being healthy and happy. I chose to give him quality over quantity of life. If you have no alternatives offered, you might consider this.

It was also suggested (too late) that Interferon might help.

You can also try cat food that has NO artificial ingredients, althought that didn't help my cat.

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
It could be an autoimmune disease like phemphigus or lupus, if possible see of the vet can refer you to a teaching hospital or veterinary dermatologist, immunologist for diagnosis

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Your story sounds similiar to mine. I took in a cat who started getting small blisters, which turned into sores. He scratched his ear into hamburger and nothing could stop it.

I too spent a great deal of money on tests, scrapings, biopsies, medications etc etc.

The lesions went into his mouth and eyes to the point where I decided to euthanize him since he was suffering greatly.

At this point, the vet put him on Prednisone and I had to fill the prescription at a drug store. It was a miracle and within 48 hours, all the lesions in his mouth and eyes cleared up and he never itched again.

The downside was that the Prednisone killed him, but gave him 3 extra years of being healthy and happy. I chose to give him quality over quantity of life. If you have no alternatives offered, you might consider this.

It was also suggested (too late) that Interferon might help.

You can also try cat food that has NO artificial ingredients, althought that didn't help my cat.

There is a new ways now to treat I also lost a dog to prednisone and now have a young greyhound with Lupus so discussed the new treatment method with my vet and he agreed to try partlyt because steroid use is not reccomended for dog who test positive for tick disease, treatment involved cortisone use just to clear up, plus 2 months of tetracyline500mg twice a day (other forms of antibiotics can be used) , now she is kept on niacinimide( a form of vitamin b, not "niacin" which can have disasterous results) 250 mg twice a day and essential fatty oils at a 1000mg a day to prevent flare ups she has been on for a year and doing great, the treatment originally was used to treat phempigus SLO( a condition that cause dog nailbed to become infected and toenails to fall out) and is proving successful and treating other forms of auto immune diseases that affect the skin, unfortunately in Canada the recommended treatment for dogs is often still daily steriod use.

mystikraz
April 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Awww you poor thing and your poor cat. I have no advive and dont know much about skin problems but I hope you find out soon and your cat can have some relief.