Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good book for dogs and children interection guide.

happyhappy1
April 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hi, I am the lady who just bought the ten month old Lab. I have three children ages 9, 7 and 4.5. I am looking for recomendations for a book that details the best approach to help young children interact with a dog, and details solutions for common behaviour problems. I have two weeks to read before the dog comes home, and I have already enrolled in obedience class which will start a few days after we bring her home.

I am looking for a book that talks about;
What to do with jumping and rough play.
How to get the dog to respect the children.
How to teach to dog to play with her toys, not the kids toys.

I will teach the kids how to treat the dog (they play with ALL the neighbors dogs and are very gentle with them so I do not think thats a problem), the right posture, where to sit ect. I also plan to crate as needed.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM
It sounds like you are already off to a good start by getting your kids to interact with other dogs already - it seems that they know how to be respectful of them already - I too would be interested in books about kids with the dogs. I have two kids ages 5 and 8.

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I don`t have any suggestions but just wanted to say thank you for educating your kids on how to interact with dogs. My neighbour has four kids from 4yr to 9 yr old and they are constantly teasing our dogs.:eek:

OntarioGreys
April 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM
A couple of books that may be of help
Using the links from Amazon.com so check out the book by clicking on the
"search inside this book" link that is under the books picture

Living with Kids and Dogs...Without Losing Your Mind http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933562668/ref=pd_sbs_b_3/104-2891716-4222324?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Childproofing Your Dog : A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for the Children in Your Life http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446670162/104-2891716-4222324?v=glance&n=283155

happyhappy1
April 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks, I will look up those books. I do have gentle kids, I guess if they can play nicely with a dutchhound, assorted terriers and a pom they can play nicely with a friendly lab. I am teaching them to stand tall, sit on a chair to pet, don't sit on the floor to pet, reach under not above to pet, and keep their hands in front and open (because the dog is looking for a treat). She is a very friendly dog, she just is excited when she is with them so I think my biggest job will be teaching her to sit, stay, and don't jump. I do have to think of how to teach her that the kids toys are off limits .

LavenderRott
April 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
At her age, I would suggest a good dog training course. This will help you greatly in getting her to pay attention to you.

Also, you might want to see about Dog Training for Dummies. You should be able to find it in just about any bookstore's pet section and I am sure you can order it online from Borders or Amazon.

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE}I do have to think of how to teach her that the kids toys are off limits .[/QUOTE]

I really don`t think you`ll have a problem. I have lots of stuffed toys in my house (within reach) that I treasure. I`ve told my dogs since day one that they are "mom`s" and "don`t touch" ..... I`ve never had a problem.