Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dumb a** owners

wdawson
April 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM
for the second time in the last two months while out for a walk we have come upon two small dogs laying or playing in the street....first time we got past no problem....tonight these two did the sneak attack on my muzzled and leashed pit....when we got close they came running up and i had beathoven sit right away...he was sniffing one when the other came from behind and bit his leg....just as i was about to be the star kicker for an nfl team this guy comes running out of a house and grabs the dogs .......he says sorry.......then says he let them out and thought they would go into the back yard on their own...i said one time my dog might not be muzzled and the outcome might not be pretty and he just laughed as he went in the house.

come tuesday i'm putting in a complaint to animal control......i hate too complain about any animal , but these dogs are gonna get hit by a car or eatin by another dog.

Copper'sMom
April 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I can't stand it when people don't have their dogs restrained or confined to their property! I have always been fearful of walking my dogs because I never know when we will come upon a loose dog. Seems to be where I live, not many dogs are confined or tied up in their yard. I'm always thinking about how I will handle a situation if we ever meet up with a loose dog. Around here, most dogs are large farm dogs allowed to roam. Will I be able to scare the dog off just by yelling in an alpha voice or will it take more than that?:( Muzzle or no muzzle, I don't want my dogs to have to fight. Copper would get hurt for sure - he's just to laid back. Zoe on the other hand.........I don't know how much damage she would do because she is small, but then again dynamite comes in small packages.:eek:

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2006, 02:22 AM
My Mom was walking Cider in the Fall.. And a minivan pulled up several houses down. A mal, lab and a dog she couldn't identify of a similar size all jumped out of the van, and charged Cider. Thankfully she was so furry that when one decided to try and take a bite out of her they didn't break skin, and at that point the owner came running,..

'Oh sorry.. I always leash them when they get out of the van..' Cause that helps... Why bother at all then.. really..

My Mom apparently sort of knew the lady from church.. I promised if I found anything on Cider that required vet attention I was sending the bill over.. Thankfully there was nothing, but I got to spend 5 months trying to resocialize her with bigger dogs so she didn't shake like a seizure when approached..

I love irresponsible people.

jawert1
April 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I had a similar incident at Thanksgiving when a girl from another apartment let her bichon puppy running with the leash trailing behind it, and she hadn't checked the courtyard to see if anyone was out there. The pup came running at us barking and growling, and Simon grabbed it and proceeded to shake it (even though I had them both in a sit and was screaming at the pup to stay where it was - it kept coming). Of course, Peaches jumped in and thankfully I was able to fling the pup by the leash away before it was injured, but I had to wonder...who's fault would that be? Her's for not having her dog under control or mine for attacking it? I was glad to not get the "your dogs are vicious and you need to leave" note on my door, but honestly, I'm still waiting for one (this girl's a ditz too)

Frenchy
April 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Jawert,I hope you don't think it's your dog's fault (or yours) if he attacked!It's normal animal behavior that makes them defend themself when restrain (leash) and another dog comes running to them.Your dog was on a leash,so under control.The other wasn't.Where I used to leave,when I walk Bailey and Daisy in the morning (on leash of course) 2-3 neighbors with small dogs would let them come out in the street by themself.I was the one who had to control MY DOGS when the little ones came running to us (I had 160 pounds of dogs at the end of the leash,not easy) Only one time one guy was outside and I scream to him to call his dog or else I wasn't responsible for what could happen.He did but not in a hurry!It's like they don't care :mad:

mom_to_many
April 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Now that summer is here..I will be expecting one girl and her parade of unleashed dogs once again. She has at least 5 dogs all of various sizes and breeds. She will be on a riding mower..her dogs everywhere. Last summer I had my Pyrenees/Heeler..Rusty with me on the front porch. Rusty was on a long leash...and here come this girl and her parade. One of the smaller dogs came up to the porch which in turn sent Rusty thru the roof. I'm trying to keep Rusty from killing this dog as the girl slooowly, non-chalantly retrieves her dog. I explained the leash law..and I know she has been told by law enforcement MANY times about this law. But talking to her is like talking to the "brick wall". No response of any sort...not to me or her dog! This girl has also been bit before..by a dog in it's own yard!! I imagine she was retrieving one of her dogs.

RaYne
April 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I can't stand it when people don't have their dogs restrained or confined to their property! I have always been fearful of walking my dogs because I never know when we will come upon a loose dog. Seems to be where I live, not many dogs are confined or tied up in their yard. I'm always thinking about how I will handle a situation if we ever meet up with a loose dog. Around here, most dogs are large farm dogs allowed to roam. Will I be able to scare the dog off just by yelling in an alpha voice or will it take more than that?:( Muzzle or no muzzle, I don't want my dogs to have to fight. Copper would get hurt for sure - he's just to laid back. Zoe on the other hand.........I don't know how much damage she would do because she is small, but then again dynamite comes in small packages.:eek:

Copper's Mom, I live just outside of Waterford about 15 from Simcoe! Small world!! But we have the same loose dog problem here. I had 2 GS attack Bubba at the same time. I kicked and screamed and noone came out to get them. We were right outside their house. Luckily I kept them far enough back and Bubba only got a small scratch on his ear. But now when Bubba sees another dog he has what I call "nervous excitement/anxiety" His hair stands between his shoulders and he bounces up and down. Like he wants to play with them, but he's unsure whether they are going to 'attack him'. I takes all I have to settle him down since he now weighs more than I do.

I've had no choice but to stop walking him, and it's sad because I know he loves it. But it's the nasty GS one way and a super aggressive Chow Chow the other. I have called animal control and nothing has been done, they all continue to run loose. Luckily Bubba isn't an overly active breed so I can wear him out just playing in the yard but still.. I should be able to walk safely anywhere I please. :(