Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Easter and Bunnies!!

erykah1310
April 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Aurgh, Easter is here again and that means people getting their children bunnies, after checking the local ads in the papers Everyone and their gramma is advertising for easter bunnies. This angers me sooooo much. As there is alot of rescues on this site for cats and dogs. I dont call myself a rescue athough i take in LOTS of "after easter bunnies" last year alone i ended up with 12!! It is hard to rehome rabbits once they pass the "cute bunny" stage. (athough rabbits are just as adorable as they were when they were younger) I should have put an ad in ALL of the papers discouraging getting a bunny or a chick for kids at easter.
Have to make a mental note to do that next year** Now that i have just realized what i am in for again :mad: I had better get things ready within the next week or so. People hear from a friend of a friend that i will take the bunnies for them.
Should I ask for a surrender fee this year? If so, how much do you feel that i should ask. ( i get them spayed and neutered before rehoming them. It gets expensive after a while) Any suggestions are greatly appreiciated here everyone. Thanks

Frenchy
April 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
You should defenetly ask for a surrender fee.Maybe that will make them NOT TO do the same next year!But I don't know how much you could ask for.We ask $50.00 (our rescue) and don't always get it.It's more of a donation so people don't have to if they don't want to :sad:

LM1313
April 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Someone in our city has billboard ads put up reminding people to act responsibly and not buy bunnies for Easter. I hope people listen to them.!

Chicks are even worse, though. At least you can, possibly, turn a bunny into an indoor pet, but where are you going to keep a chicken in the city? Especially a rooster!

~LM~

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
The SPCA here always posts a reminder.

And, yes, you should ask for a surrender fee. I don`t know how much though, as if it`s too high the morons just might let them go loose in the bush.:eek:

Lise
April 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
We have five easter refugees here.3 bunnies,a rooster and a duck.Two of our bunnies are really sweet,one is extremely agressive(neutered male)none of them would make great pets for little kids.Our duck had identity problems,probably from being kept isolated when he was a cute fuzzy easter duckling,it took him awhile to realize Plant and Page,our two resident ducks weren't going to eat him and our rooster is really sweet the kids play with him all the time,but I doubt he'd work out as well in the suburbs.Any way Happy easter hope more people stick to bunnies,chicks etc of the chocolate variety!

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeh, CHOCOLATE IS BEST.:D :thumbs up

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM
When my now deceased but much beloved bunny was with me, I always bought HIM Easter gifts - had to have the Easter bunny happy, lol

Seriously - I HOPE no one buys a bunny this time of the year and rescues as well as the SPCA need to do education campaigns reminding ppl about how much work bunnies are, thatr they are little beings that need lots of love and care and time and committment - they are not a toy. There are many chocolate (tho the dentist I car pool with on occasion would be upset with me for saying so, lol )bunnies as well as plush ones. He would recommend a plush one with a toothbrush and maybe sugar free bunnies but I told him that is no fun for a child. I did buy my niece several bunnies - chocolate, plush and stickers she can play with. And a book about bunnies. She already has more thwn enuf toothbrushes - her parents can get her those - I'll buy the fun stuff, hehheh

We also celebrate Passover in my family so we are remarkably busy!!!!!!!!

erykah1310
April 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
:mad: Went into Petsmart today and I swear every second person had rabbit cages!!! I really hope these people are planning to be forever homes for these bunnies! I dont mean that ALL people who are getting these bunnies are the type of people who havent thought it through but my money is on half of them rehomeing the poor little creatures when the next holiday comes around.