Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spring cleaning

wdawson
April 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
All week we have been sorting out and cleaning kids clothes and toys that are no longer used , and today we dropped them off at a shelter for battered women with kids......now i feel good.......everyone should do some spring cleaning.

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
What a nice thing to do.:angel: :highfive: I don`t have any kids so all my spring cleaning stuff goes to the Salvation Army. Now, I just have to get off my butt and start cleaning.:D

chico2
April 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
We,ve been spring-cleaning for the past month,no toys,but tons of stuff hubby has wanted to keep"in case we need it one day":D

jesse's mommy
April 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
We,ve been spring-cleaning for the past month,no toys,but tons of stuff hubby has wanted to keep"in case we need it one day":D

I can relate to that one. I have an entire garage here and a trailer full at my parents in Maryland of "just in case we need it one day" stuff! Drives me insane!

domesticzookeep
April 14th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ha! I just got back from my parents - they were doing a *major* purge! I got, 'go and take what you want - the rest is being brought to the local charity shop!' (Most of it stuff my Dad has kept for the last 20 yrs 'just in case'
Woohoo...scored some good books! (Not sure if it can be classified as cleaning, if it just gets moved to my basement.....:rolleyes: )

BUT - don't forget about your local shelters & rescues!! They always need extra collars, leashes, crates, kitty pans, blankets, toys, bowls, etc, etc... :pawprint:

C.
:ca:

chico2
April 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I always think of our local HS first,all blankets,towels,pillows,cat-dishes and some new toys go there.
We have a once-a-year pickup of big items and we got rid of a LOT of stuff,stuff nobody would want.
26 yrs ago,we got some homepickled stuff in jars,from a friend...we put them in the wine-cellar,forgot about them:D anybody want 26yr old pickles:D
Well,they are gone now:yuck:

poodletalk
April 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I try to do "spring cleaning" in the late fall and winter months. I take advantage of the days that it's too cold to go out. When spring does come, I can go out and feel relieved my house is 'sort of " organized and clean.

Basically in the spring, all I have to do is clean the windows and I am set.

I also clean up first thing in the morning on the week-ends, last Sunday I was going to start vacumming by 7:30 am and the power went out. My neighbours must hate me!!!

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I am a packrat who prob needs a 12 step program!! BUT I do donate toys to the hospital or use them in my own office (tho I like to buy new stuff, love the toy section - I buy lego and things that will occupy children if they have to wait longer than usual like colouring books, paint by number sets, Barbies and Barbie stuff and cars and etchasketch and Spirograph and Snakes and Ladders and games. Sometimes, they just want to stay, lol

Dover makes these colouring books about a hospital so I have a bunch of those in the event the family does not get to meet with the Child Life dept if the child has to be hospitalized and often in my practice, alas, they do - even if it just for the first diagnosisd and chemo - and they are eather enjoyed and quite the novelty much to my surprise (Dover has some other neat stuff I bought for myself too, lol). I sometimes just colour with the kids - they tend to open up more when they are colouring with you than when you are placing a sthethoscope on their heart. I admittedly began that just to get in on the fun but I have to ackowledge that it is now a clinical skill I recommend to all the residents I teach, lol

I donate clothes to Value Village bc they have a contract with a volunteer Board I am on - ie the nonprofit gets money from the sale of the clothes and other items -

Books I am very bad about. I HATE to loose a book and remember every single one ever donated and not returned, by memory!! But I have donated several to the library and buy childrens' books for my nieces, nephew (who is graduating univ this yr tho,lol) and my patients. I ALWAYS keep a copy of The Little Engine that Could in my office. Many times, children who survive their battle (and it is a battle) will say to me "I thought I could", lol

Anyway - it's wonderful to see so many charitable efforts!

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I try to do "spring cleaning" in the late fall and winter months. I take advantage of the days that it's too cold to go out. When spring does come, I can go out and feel relieved my house is 'sort of " organized and clean.

Basically in the spring, all I have to do is clean the windows and I am set.

I also clean up first thing in the morning on the week-ends, last Sunday I was going to start vacumming by 7:30 am and the power went out. My neighbours must hate me!!!

WOW, poodletalk, you`re so organized.:angel: What`s your secret? I`ve got to be the biggest procrastinator going.:D And, I must confess that I`m the pack-rat in this house..."just-in-case" I might need it someday.:evil:

When I do get around to doing it, I always donate SPCA or Sally Ann though.

poodletalk
April 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Trust me Rainbow, I am NOT organized!!

I am always on the "go" so I don't have alot of time to say, I will do it later. If I don't do it now, it will not get done until the following week or never.

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 12:25 AM
We do spring cleaning all the time... We have so much stuff and so little room that if we don't, we wouldn't have any room for the oxygen. :D We give the old clothes to Renaissance here in Montreal. They sell them and use the money to train people who otherwise wouldn't be qualified to work. :thumbs up

joanna
April 16th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hi!

We just completed our spring cleaning marathon that started Tuesday!. We completely rearranged furniture, room setup.. and turned a small den into a huge closet! I am very happy with the result!

Of course, with our dog Royce who wants to help decorate by tearing up tissue, it's his daily art project, we gotto get back to cleaning again soon

wdawson
April 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM
joanna

with that huge closet you now have you can spring clean every second year now:D

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Spring cleaning. Done Done And Redone.
We had a guy come our to give us an energy guide asessment. So because he looks from attic to bsement I cleaned from attic to basement.