Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Life Jackets??

erykah1310
April 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Seriously? Life Jackets? I have heard of them but am yet to see one on a dog, that must be adorable!! This thread has no point really and I appologize for it as well.
In all my experiences all dogs i have seen, swim, ( a little funny at first but they do eventually grasp the concept) On the flip side I guess they are great for dogs that have never experienced swimming and are going in a boat.

wdawson
April 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM
i'v seen dogs wear them.......could come in handy if far from shore and doggy gets tired from swimming.

OntarioGreys
April 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Not all dog can swim, some are sinkers, I had a cocker that enjoyed going fishing with me, if he thought I was reeling in a fish he would try to run into the water to help, and then I would have to run in fully clothed to save him as he is going under :rolleyes: , finally seen the life jackets at petsmart and picked one up for him and it solved the little problem, Since then I have heard of other dogs that are sinkers as well

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I have one.. My cocker thrashes rather than swims... So this way we can g be in the pool, or lake without worry. She likes the water.. But her swims to shore or more an attempt to save her life than anything fun without a life jacket.

Prin
April 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Boo has one. He swims out too far and one summer he almost got hit by a boat (they weren't paying attention either). It's just so others can see him better in the water.

He grew out of his old life jacket and now Odin (raingirl's bulldog) has it.

Prin
April 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Does somebody need rescuing somewhere?

Prin
April 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
last one... This one is just an ad for the company, IMO. (Outward Hound)

LibbyP
April 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Prin, that's awesome, I loved the pictures. I also had a sinker, like a stone (Redtick coonhound),she got smart though and waited at shore for the other boy to retrieve whatever goody and then steal it from him. I'm not sure about our new girl and the water, but do they make life jackets in xtr/lrg for a(English Mastiff), cannot find her a coat either any help would be great, any tips on introducing dogs to canoeing would also be a BIG help, I want to try it but VERY afraid.

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Cute pics Prin.:)

I wouldn`t hesitate to buy one, if needed.

twodogsandacat
April 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Boo has one. He swims out too far and one summer he almost got hit by a boat (they weren't paying attention either). It's just so others can see him better in the water.

Sounds like putting a vest on a duck doesnít it?

Seriously though Prinís answer was 100%. Dalton wears one when he swims in the lake due to the jet skiers that buzz the shore....otherwise all you see is his head and a small section of his back. Visibility was the number one reason we bought it and it works.

If we are out on a boat (which is seldom) he wears one for the same reason we wear them. If the boat is in an accident we may be injured or even be unconscious when we hit the water.

domesticzookeep
April 14th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Another reason for life jackets.....

My brother & sister-in-law decided to take their 2 young (<1yr) yellow labs canoeing for the day on the dogs first camping trip (early spring, too).....

....soooo...they placed both dogs in the centre of the canoe, and off they went....everything was going well, until they reached the middle of the lake & the big male decided he had enough of the sight seeing, and it was time for a swim....so, over he went!:eek:

They figured it was too far out for him to 'follow' the canoe back to shore, so the only option they had (short of jumping in themselves), was to try & lift the dog back into the canoe....

Fortunately, my bro - who is very athletic - managed to lift this wet, 90+ lb dog up & over the side of the canoe - to this day, I don't understand HOW he did it w/out tipping the whole thing over!!:rolleyes:

Soo....for those looking to take their dogs out in the canoe for the first time....in hindsight, jackets seem like a good idea.....;)

C.
:ca:

OntarioGreys
April 15th, 2006, 03:42 AM
THe one like Prin has in XL is on sale at $54.95 CDN at www.pooch.ca
http://www.pooch.ca/item1141.htm

The same one on ebay will cost about the same

Ebay has an XL up for auction little different than above
right now no bidders starting at .99 cents US + $15 US shipping so if you were the onlly bidder you could get for about $20 cdn the buy it now price is $24.99 US plus $15 US shipping .

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dog-Xlarge-Summer-Life-Jacket-Boat-Pool-rescue-swimming_W0QQitemZ7759323260QQcategoryZ117427QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

The one I had bought thru petsmart years ago was like this, the webbing straps rub on the belly, so I like the above better http://i18.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/5f/cb/da_1.JPG

For dog coats http://www.chillydogs.ca/
http://dogedesigns.com/index.htm

Prin
April 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, the outward hound one has a super wide, super thick velcro strap that goes under the belly. So when you lift the dog up by the life jacket handle (which I don't recommend unless it's an emergency), it doesn't hurt as much.

The bright orange is good for the woods too. Boo is a runner, so the orange helps us see him even at great distances...:D

The prices vary so much during the year. When I bought Boo's first large one, it cost me over $80 (no shipping). The x-large costed me about $70... I found some cheaper, but there was always a catch (i.e. US dollars, high shipping, etc).

Here's Boo's old large life jacket (it's now Odin's- isn't he the cutest in it? :love: I hope raingirl doesn't mind me posting it...:o )

(Sometimes the size needed to go around the dog is bigger than what is needed to go around the neck, but the neck strap isn't 100% necessary- most of the support and structure comes from the huge velcro strap.)

Prin
April 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Oh, one more thing about life jackets... Boo has gotten so used to floating with the jacket on that when we take it off, he has a harder time keeping his head up. So if that is a concern, you should let your dog swim without it often enough so he doesn't lose his ability. I don't think Boo will ever be near water without his, so it's not too big a deal (the minute he's near woods, he has it on just so we can watch him anyway).

BernerLver
April 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Prin: Adorable pics, Boo should be the spokes dog for the company, he looks very outdoorsy :p

IMO, lifejackets just made good/smart sense for everyone, including dogs to wear around the water. You never know what could happen.

Even for a strong swimmer, it's better to be safe than sorry.

erykah1310
April 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Those pics are more adorable then i ever could have imagined!! LOL, I love it. Definately a good idea about the dogs being more visable in the water. That makes alot of sence.
However i still dont think im going to run out and buy some.
Prin: Adorable pics, Boo should be the spokes dog for the company, he looks very outdoorsy

I agree with that 100 % He's handsome and he sports his jacket so wonderfuly!

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Aww... I'd tell Boo but he's already had enough praise for today.:D

In this one you can see how visible he is compared to Jemma (even though, with the leaves and the light reflecting on the water you still see her better than usual).