Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mind tiring game/toy for dogs?

Soroush
April 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Lucy is a ball of energy and there's absolutely no way to make her tired beyond a certain point(well no way for me anyway!). For making her tired so that she sits and relaxes I'd need to quit my job and become her littermate.

She gets to go to the park everyday(sometimes twice) and play a lot of fetch, but even after she looks to be tired she still has interest in learning. She loves to find things or do complicated tricks. She even devolpes new skills to grab attention in a way so she doesn't get in trouble! She used to get herself in trouble to get attention, but these days she comes up with very funny and strange things just to get me to look at her! One example is the one I mentioned before. She gets close to my chair wheels and puts her paw under the chair-base and starts crying trying to make me think I'm crushing her paws! Then when I look at her she's all happy and wants to play! One other thing she does is, she goes in the bedroom and bounces herself against the door while crying, trying to make me think that she's stuck! Then when I go check she's wagging her tail laughing at the way I get fooled!

She's not a "troublemaking" dog at all. In fact she's such an innocent baby that when I leave her alone for work all she does is play with her 3 KONGs and do some random sniffing at things(I have recorded a video of what she does!), but it's very obvious that she's eager to do challenging things even if they don't require running or physical excerce.

I've noticed the KONG is an excellent toy to make her think and focus on how to retrieve food out of the hole. She's mastered the art of dropping the kong and rolling it to get things out of it.

I was wondering, is there mind challenging toys for dogs? Something that she'd have to focus and figure out without getting bored or becoming disinterested?

I prefer something that is not food or treat oriented. She eats enough out of her kongs.

I went to PetSmart the other day and couldn't find anything useful. All they have is expensive balls and dolls that make a noise(nothing special).

Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
April 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
The anticipation of getting a treat is what keeps dogs interested.

Buster Cubes are good for this. My dog will work one tirelessly. You can use tiny cat treats like Pounce in them.

OR get her a real bone - large and meaty. My dog will gnaw, chew and work on it for ages, then feels satisfied and tired and goes to sleep.

raingirl
April 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM
We bought something that is made of rubber like a kong, but it's different. It's called a "spring roll" by the company wetnoz (you can google them and see their website).

It has teeth in the middle where it is narrow, and you put a piece of food in there. It takes our dog hours sometimes to get the food out.

mesaana
April 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Another vote for the Buster Cube! Vega loves hers!

Soroush
April 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I googled BUSTER CUBE and it seems like they're only available in USA and British Columbia. How do I go about getting one in Ontario?! I'm almost certain Petsmart doesn't have it or else I would've noticed it.

where did you get yours?

Lucky Rescue
April 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Petsmart has Buster Cubes, as does just about any petstore. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

Melei'sMom
April 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
check ebay! I have found tons of stuff I wouldn't otherwise have access to there. And sometimes I find things cheaper then what I would pay here!

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Are Buster Cubes and Spring Rolls indestructible? Is the quality of the rubber the same as Kongs?

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Teach her the names of all of her toys. Then teach her to find them. Hide them all over the house and tell her to find each one individually - obviously a game you have to be home for.
You could also hide her dinner in 30 different places and she could hunt for it.
Natural bones are a great outlet for energy while cleaning her teeth and exercising her gums.
Teach her to put all of her toys into a basket at the end of the day.

NaNa8
April 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I have 2 Buster Cube's that I feed Laci for both of her feedings. She anticipates our dinner time cuz she knows that she gets to knock the cube around. I only have 1 problem with the cube (it is a hard plastic) is that the middle where you place the food is adjustable to make it easy or harder to get the food out. This area has become worn due to Laci trying to pick it up like a Kong and dropping it to get the food out.

BernerLver
April 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Buster Cubes are good for this. My dog will work one tirelessly. You can use tiny cat treats like Pounce in them.

Ditto! My guy is the same way. I also found another toy, I think it's call the "Tricky Treat Ball". Same concept as the Buster Cube but a ball. My guy will roll it all over the main floor for hours trying to get every last piece of food.

I fine these toys esp. good for when I am away as he's totally zonked after playing with them.

gomez
April 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM
These things are great:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=176&pf_id=5161

This particular one is a Hide-a-Squirrel, basically a plush tree trunk with 3 plush squirrels you put inside - your puppy will spend some time figuring how to get them all out, especially if you stuff it up even more with something like a small ball, so it's more difficult to get out...

Gomez loved it, and he would bring back all the squirrels for us to re-stuff, but after he got his adult teeth we had to cease ad desist, he is a chewer and preferred to kill the squirrels as soon as he got them out of the trunk!

They also have a beehive and a birds, I think...

The site I mention is a UK site, but, I have bought them in America, and they're made in California anyway...

Maybe this will keep Lucy busy for a while!

joanna
April 16th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Teach her the names of all of her toys. Then teach her to find them. Hide them all over the house and tell her to find each one individually - obviously a game you have to be home for.
You could also hide her dinner in 30 different places and she could hunt for it.
Natural bones are a great outlet for energy while cleaning her teeth and exercising her gums.
Teach her to put all of her toys into a basket at the end of the day.

I second this. WE just taught Royce to find the ball and he loves it he searches EVERYWHERE he can think for it. It's an amazing game. no matter where I hide it he goes and finds it!!

Teaching him to name toys is another one we're working on. Very tricky this one

mafiaprincess
April 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I have something like what gomez mentioned. Think it's called an inteligent cube or something liek that. Came from petsmart. 4 squeaky plush balls in a cube, all 4 make a different squeak sound. Gotta snuffle in the cube to get them out. Was great till she got till about 6 months ald and then she'd take a ball out and try to destroy it.

I've been thinking about giving it back under supervision though.. Lately she's been good with stufties as long as she doesn't get to pla with them whenever she wants,.. It used to provide literally hours of entertainment.

Apparently the name is different than I remember, but it's this product.. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9665&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026207&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1145163980505&itemNo=24&Nao=24&In=Dog&N=2026207&Ne=2

sealady
April 16th, 2006, 01:21 AM
inteligent cube,

You read my mind, having Westies we have had to find things that keep them busy.
I have this cube, and as someone said put other things inside also.

There's another toy she loved and it's hard to picture at first but when you see this odd looking ball you will know what I'm talking about.
It's a large ball made of some sort of soft but very strong rubber, but it's as if they used chicken wire for the patter.
You can also put things inside this and it's harder for them to get the toys out but they can see the toys so they keep trying.
Also this funny looking ball rolls, and bounces.
SeaLady

Soroush
April 16th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Thank you all so much for the recommendations! Me and Lucy will spend some time(and money!) in Petsmart tomorrow!

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 01:40 AM
That's a good idea. Doggies (especially retrievers) love the hunt... Boo hunts for his bowl every night and is so proud when he finds it. And when we hide Jemma's ball outside, she'll search till she finds it and looks so content afterward. :)

joanna
April 16th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Boo hunts for his bowl every night and is so proud when he finds it. And when we hide Jemma's ball outside, she'll search till she finds it and looks so content afterward. :)

YUP YUP YUP!
I completely know what you mean. You can tell that they are SOOO Proud to have found their treasure!
The look on their face, eyes glistening...It's JUST SO CUTE!

meb999
April 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM

I do this too!! Buster knows 'ball' and 'bone' (we're working on the other names!!). He loves the game 'find it!'. He's actually really good at it. I can hide things REALLY well, and he'll sniff it out. You do it a couple of times and they get all tired from all the sniffing around.
You can tell that they are SOOO Proud to have found their treasure!
The look on their face, eyes glistening...It's JUST SO CUTE!
You can say that again!! 'look mommy! I found it! I found it!!'

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I've also been trying to find something to keep Princess busy, these are great suggestions. She is such the active little thing but gets bored of her toys very fast. The Pet Supply House has the buster cube which I think I will order along with some other supplies that I need. I'm hoping this will keep her busy. I'm wondering if Misty might like one too.

LianneCatherine
April 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I tried the Kong for my little Audrie. I put peanut butter, cheerios, yogurt, cheese, kong filling, etc. into it - but all she did was lick the end and then leave it. She didn't play or try to get more out.

She has a billion toys, but only likes to play with them when I am home. When I leave her in the morning, she just whines and ignores treats/balls/toys that I give her. I am hoping she plays with them after I leave.

Even when I am home, she's not interested in "find the treat" toys for some reason. Is there anything else that might interest her?

sprayeddog
April 25th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I personally like the "treat in kong" thing ... but Matty's got pretty good at it it only takes him minutes to get the treat out.

I also hide toys and ask Matty to find them (Hide and seek game)... but you need to supervise him when he goes look for the toys ... he absolutely loves the hide and seek game.

I am going to give the buster cube a try.

Problem with Matty is he's extra destructive ... he once got a "tire" chew toy which is supposed to be 'extra durable' ... he destructed it in half a day. So any toy that's not extra-durable will get destroyed ...

TracyG
April 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I would love to have Indy be "responsible" for getting her leash or finding toys. my question is...how do you go about teaching them to do these things? Is it just repeating it over and over?

jessi76
April 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is there anything else that might interest her?

have you ever seen the Talk to me Treat ball? It's available at the places like petco. It's not too expensive (about $20), and with Audrie being so small, it will last. It's a hard plastic ball, with a hole in one end, and a recording device in the other. You can actually record whatever you want - your voice, her barking, birds chirping, etc... the recording plays when the ball is rolled. It's motion-sensitive. They also make some that light up too. So it engages her senses - touch, sight, sound, smell. You put some small treats inside which are dispensed randomly as she rolls the ball & listens to the recording, and/or watches the lights.

They make a variety of sizes to choose from.

sprayeddog... Matty will probably eventually destroy a toy like the Talk to me treat ball but it should last for a little while. My dog is a super toy destroyer, and his treat ball just died, and I bought it last September. It's not indestructible (what is?) but it can take a good beating for a little while.

sprayeddog
April 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Sure I'll give those treatboxes a try ... but when it comes to detroying toys, I bet Matty's in a different league. ;) Like I said, the so called "Super durable" toys only last 30 minutes.

Another game I like to play with Matty all the times is "guess which hand?". I show him a treat in one of the 2 open hands, then I pass the treat back and forth between hands, and after a few times I close both hands and ask him to "high-five" me on either hand. If he guesses the right hand I'll open up the first and let him have the treat. If he guesses wrong I'll open the fist to show him he's guessed wrong, and start all over again. Matty's pretty good at it, until I pass the treat behind my back ... :)

For "finding the toy" ... it came natural to Matty. I just tell him the name of the toy before I play fetch with it ("Matty, this is a KONG. KONG.). Then after a few times, I put the toy on the ground in front of him and ask him to "Grab me the kong".... he got it after a while, then I introduced another toy, and on and on. Once he can recognize the names I start hiding them and ask him to find them.

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I just bought a buster cube. Cider thinks it's fun. Only problem is finding stuff to put in it so she doesn't get too many random calories.

In looking at it, I realize I thought about buying one ages ago.. But the box has no diagram, no instructions, and it really tuned me off. Without the website, I don't think I'd have looked at it again.

mesaana
April 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM
mafiaprincess,

I put some of Vega's regular kibble in the cube and just remove it from the total I feed her for the day. She just has to work a bit for her food, that's all...;)

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah I started by putting a few treats in, and a small handful of kibble, but it's spitting out too much at a time.. I need to go back to the website to see how to adjust it. Sometimes she plays with it just to empty it without eating the kibble, hoping she'll get something better out of it, lol. I love it though, lol.

On another site someone posted a treat ball they had bought.. I loved the fact it was see-through so the dog could see rather than just hear what was inside, lol.

EDIT: Roar! I just went to the bustercube site.. and followed the directions, and I cannot for the life of me make the intensity of how much food pours out of it change. Advice from anyone who owns it? It will not budge.. I'll rip off my thumb before anythign happens...

LianneCatherine
April 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM
have you ever seen the Talk to me Treat ball? It's available at the places like petco. It's not too expensive (about $20), and with Audrie being so small, it will last. It's a hard plastic ball, with a hole in one end, and a recording device in the other.

Thank you for the suggestion Jessi. I will certainly give it a try! I don't have a petco near me, so I am about to look for it online. Thanks again!!:D

NaNa8
April 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
EDIT: Roar! I just went to the bustercube site.. and followed the directions, and I cannot for the life of me make the intensity of how much food pours out of it change. Advice from anyone who owns it? It will not budge.. I'll rip off my thumb before anythign happens...

Put your finger into the hole of the cylinder and then into the hole in the middle where the food falls into the cube. Turn counterclockwise (with your finger still in the hole) until you start to feel the plastic against the right side of your finger. At this point you should be able to pull the cylinder out. Keep trying as the first couple of time it takes practice.

Replace the cylinder as directed.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I don't even want to pull it out.. just change the setting from halfway between min and max all the way to min.. but it will not budge. I think I'd break my thumb first. Lady at petsmart told me there's a trick to getting it to move in how you stick your thumb in. Man I can't even work my dog's toy properly..

LianneCatherine
April 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM
have you ever seen the Talk to me Treat ball? It's available at the places like petco. It's not too expensive (about $20), and with Audrie being so small, it will last. It's a hard plastic ball, with a hole in one end, and a recording device in the other. You can actually record whatever you want - your voice, her barking, birds chirping, etc... the recording plays when the ball is rolled. It's motion-sensitive. They also make some that light up too. So it engages her senses - touch, sight, sound, smell. You put some small treats inside which are dispensed randomly as she rolls the ball & listens to the recording, and/or watches the lights.

I bought this ball yesterday, recorded my voice, and put some treats in it. Jessi, my Audrie is TERRIFIED of this thing!! haha It's rather amusing, but she won't go near it. When she heard it make noise, she ran outside (doggy door) and didn't come back in for an hour!

technodoll
April 28th, 2006, 10:39 AM
i love this toy by Kong:

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/images/prd_kongstuffball.gif

but instead of putting kibble or hard treats in there, i stuff it with big soft dried apricots (doggies go crazy for them!) and it will take days of heavy chewing and licking for the toy to be empty... they chew and squeeze some out between the cracks, they lick, etc... easy to wash, too.

:p

jessi76
April 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I bought this ball yesterday, recorded my voice, and put some treats in it. Jessi, my Audrie is TERRIFIED of this thing!! haha It's rather amusing, but she won't go near it. When she heard it make noise, she ran outside (doggy door) and didn't come back in for an hour!

awww poor Audrie! maybe you should start off w/out any recording at all. leave the recorder OFF until she gets a little more comfortable with the ball.

LianneCatherine
April 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
awww poor Audrie! maybe you should start off w/out any recording at all. leave the recorder OFF until she gets a little more comfortable with the ball.

Good idea! I'll try that. :)

jesse's mommy
April 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Watch out for the really smart dogs like Jesse with the talk to me treat ball. We can't give it to her any longer. She's learned to take the easy way with the ball. She can actually remove the recorder to get the treats out the easy end. It's not even worth us trying with her any longer with stuff like that. I looked at the buster cube and thought -- She'll figure that one out in a day.

jessi76
April 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
She can actually remove the recorder to get the treats out the easy end.

Tucker finally got the recorder out too...and chewed it up real good. He could care less about the treats, he wanted to kill the recorder. now it's just a beat up plastic ball w/ 2 gaping holes in it. It had a good run though, lasted 8 mths.

I don't doubt that Audrie is a smart girl, but she's a wee thing - a yorkie I believe, I don't think she'll get the recorder out quite as fast. although anything is possible, so definately supervise.

NaNa8
April 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
mafiaprincess, did you try to put your thumb into the cylinder and then into the hole in the cylinder and turn it to Max or Min?

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I've been trying to turn it to min..
I'm happy she loves it, just she hits it hard enough and it spits out 8 kibbles now..

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE]i love this toy by Kong:

but instead of putting kibble or hard treats in there, i stuff it with big soft dried apricots (doggies go crazy for them!) and it will take days of heavy chewing and licking for the toy to be empty... they chew and squeeze some out between the cracks, they lick, etc... easy to wash, too.[/QUOT

technodoll...

I've been seriously looking at this kong.......are these the dried apricots you can buy at the supermarket or do you dry your own?

If it's the supermarket ones is there not alot of sugar in them? I know I love them so I thought there must be.

And, if it takes days of heavy licking to empty this kong is there no need to worry about bacteria before it gets washed?

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 12:14 AM
i love this toy by Kong:

but instead of putting kibble or hard treats in there, i stuff it with big soft dried apricots (doggies go crazy for them!) and it will take days of heavy chewing and licking for the toy to be empty... they chew and squeeze some out between the cracks, they lick, etc... easy to wash, too.

My doggies lick that thing until their mouths are raw... I usually crack their trout cookies in half and jam them in.

I wouldn't worry about bacteria for about 2 or 3 days... Maybe refridgerate it when it's not in use? My doggies don't let up till it's done, so I don't know what to tell you.

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Speaking of nastiness... I hadn't looked for Cider's kong in weeks.... She doesn't get it filled too often, I wasn't thinking about it. I found it under the couch a few days ago. Mmmm mouldy peanut butter...

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (in my head, it's still going) wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hot eh? I wanted to puke.. I was so happy she hadn't found it/ knew better than to touch that nastiness.

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Another week and you would have thought you had caught a mouse in there...:D :sick:

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
EWWW nasty. lol.

NaNa8
April 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Mafia,
Have you been able to move the Cube to Min yet?

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 11:45 PM
No, *cries*
I can't work a freaking dog toy. I'm feeling mighty inept..

NaNa8
April 29th, 2006, 11:51 PM
At first it is hard to move it, but it loosens up after you do it a couple of times. Have you remove the cylinder at all? At first I had to put 2 fingers as far into the cylinder as I could and moved it to the Max and then twisted to remove it. Then I put the cylinder back in and again using 2 fingers to move it to the MIN (it clicks as it moves) Try using a rubber gloved hand to move the cylinder.

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The lady at petsmart told me to return it for a straight exchange if I wanted another one. But I didn't have it with me since I hadn't planned on beign at Petsmart.. I just want a better reason to go back other than to exchange it.. and they had no stock when I bought mine. It was in a destroyed box.

I bought it, and there are 5 shiny new ones on the shelf.. turns out it was supposed to have an instruction booklet mine didn't... but the instructions didn't help me with mine.

Wonder if I should replace it with another red one or a blue one, lol.

NaNa8
April 30th, 2006, 12:07 AM
LOL, red or blue.. I actually have 1 of each of them. We feed Laci both of her meals with them. The first one was blue and I can't read the Min and Max at all on that one. She gets one of her teeth in the hole and picks it up carries to another room and drops it on the floor and bats the heck out of it. Keep in mind that it is hard at first to get the cylinder out, but like I said try putting 2 or 3 (index,middle & ring) fingers in it to move the cylinder. Or try with the rubber glove and 2 fingers to move the darn thing.

technodoll
April 30th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I've been seriously looking at this kong.......are these the dried apricots you can buy at the supermarket or do you dry your own?

rainbow,

as prin mentioned, no nastiness for a few days... yes they are the regular dried apricots, i buy them at the supermarket and we share with the doggies :D the bulk of their diet is such good stuff, i feel no guilt in splurging once in a while for them. the apricots usually get squished out of that kong toy in a day or two... a couple times the fruit got jammed in there, the toy got forgotten in a corner of the room for a few weeks... the apricots just dried up to hard little candies, LOL! washed them out in very hot water and all was good as new. nothing green or icky.

it's the ONLY thing my boy will chew on for more than two minutes. i don't give them hard bones (not even the smoked knucklebones...) cuz they wreck teeth. dakotah chipped 3 teeth in two weeks on those things :eek: and they stink up the carpet.

so this is a good compromise for us... you have nothing to lose by buying a small version of this kong toy, i think! :highfive:

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I think I'll replace it and then frig with it some more. Bugs me I bought the one in the destroyed box, but we were going on vacation for a week and I had to have one NOW.. She loves it.. Would rather eat food from it than the bowl, so I'm havign to seriously cut back on bowl food for fear that she'll choose to 'snack' from the cube later on, lol.

Thank you for trying to help me though, I'll update when I get another one.

NaNa8
April 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
The new one, hopefully will work the way it is supposed to. I wouldn't worry about her wanting the food from the bowl. Laci is a Lab and she would rather swat the cube around. She will not leave that thing alone until she gets out every last kibble, even if she has to push it at my feet for help with the last 1 or 2 pieces left in there. I now only give her pumpkin or veggies in her bowl.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM
The cube empties so fast being stuck inbetween min and max that sometimes she wants the kibble coming out, sometimes wants to make a mess..

It's just not knowing where she will choose to eat from. She's looking kinda skinny from all the excercise lately.. just don't want to so underfeed her I look like a bad mom.

I want to put enough in a place she'll eat it from..

Though last night she emptied the cube, and batted it aroudn for another half hour till I took it.. I felt bad cause I knew it was empty she was getting kinda upset. Whining and sniffing the floor looking for the kibble that wasn't there..

NaNa8
April 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
That is so like Laci to keep batting it around also. When I used to give it to her in the bowl, she wolfed it down so fast and at least this keeps her busy for awhile. The only problem that I have found is that while batting it around the different areas, pieces of kibble would end up under the fridge or stove or under closet doors or under the couch. She would scratch at the areas to get the pieces out, that when I notice her doing this, I end up using a yardstick to sweep under the area to remove it. It drives her nuts that there is a piece under there that she missed.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Guess I'll start putting most of her kibble in the cube, if she's hungry she can play with it.. I try to keep it on the carpet, since sh'e small it doesn't turn over well on the tile for her, but she gets pieces under her crate wedged under the crate pan, under the sofa.. so I totally understand. lol.

rainbow
April 30th, 2006, 03:14 AM
... i feel no guilt in splurging once in a while for them. the apricots usually get squished out of that kong toy in a day or two...

technodoll...I love those dried apricots myself :D but I feed my boys kibble (Timberwolf). I know you feed raw but do you think I'd screw up my boys if I used the apricots.:confused:

happyhappy1
April 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Try the no sugar health food apricots. They would have less calories and added sugar. I myself am going to try it out.

kspj2
April 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM
i love this toy by Kong:

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/images/prd_kongstuffball.gif

Where did you find that ball?

Thanks,
Kelly

technodoll
April 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
rainbow, my boy is the one who chews on this toy 80% of the time, and he's on kibble & homecooked foods... so you should be ok ;)

kelly,

just google "kong treat dispensers" or "kong stuff-a-ball" and you will find many online stores you can order it from... or ask your petshops that carry Kong products to order one for you?...

here are some online stores:

http://www.dogtoys.com/kongstuffball.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHO18/102-4174157-7151325?v=glance&n=284507

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-992-d4fc48dac6a11be677c6e4d4bb619659&ps_session=f97b98a4e27c0aa6ad70176154edd27d

http://www.doggy-gifts.com/s.nl/sc.24/category.33/.f

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Well I took the cube back. They could turn it no issue. I figured out now that it's home why it wouldn't turn.. it seems it was already on minimum... but it's spitting out way too many kibbles..

When you look inside your buster cube, Can you see one hole or two.. like the space that the kibble comes out of if it makes sense..

kspj2
April 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
rainbow, my boy is the one who chews on this toy 80% of the time, and he's on kibble & homecooked foods... so you should be ok ;)

kelly,

just google "kong treat dispensers" or "kong stuff-a-ball" and you will find many online stores you can order it from... or ask your petshops that carry Kong products to order one for you?...

here are some online stores:

http://www.dogtoys.com/kongstuffball.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHO18/102-4174157-7151325?v=glance&n=284507

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-992-d4fc48dac6a11be677c6e4d4bb619659&ps_session=f97b98a4e27c0aa6ad70176154edd27d

http://www.doggy-gifts.com/s.nl/sc.24/category.33/.f

Thanks for the info where to get the stuffed ball. I am sure my Beagle Puppy would love it as soon I get him one but will check the pet store first before order online.

Kelly

LianneCatherine
May 1st, 2006, 01:06 PM
I don't doubt that Audrie is a smart girl, but she's a wee thing - a yorkie I believe, I don't think she'll get the recorder out quite as fast. although anything is possible, so definately supervise.

If we get to that point I'll let you all know! She's still terrified of the thing! :p I don't think she could take the recorder out though, smart or not!

;)

NaNa8
May 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Mafia,
I see is 1 hole on the side and 1 in the very bottom. I put the food inside when it is set to Max and then turn the hole on the side to Min before I give it to her. I also have found that if I only put 1 cup in at a time, it takes her longer to get the food out. Have you taken out the cylinder yet to see the inside and how it works? It works similar to the way the larger gumball machines work that the gum rolls down a spiral and then dispenses out. Maybe the kibble you use is smaller than what I use for Laci. Laci eats Nutro Max.

mafiaprincess
May 1st, 2006, 11:32 PM
Cider is getting wolfking with a tiny bit of leftover wellness.

I haven't tried to remove the cylinder, but it turns back and forth easily.. on max there is a large hole in the side.. and on min there is 2 openings in the same spot of a hole. I'm wondering if it should turn further.. and be one hole again?

Weird Qs.. but petsmart wasn't willing to be much help about it..

NaNa8
May 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mafia,
I really haven't tried to see if it comes out slower than the Min does. I did try to move it and wasn't able to by hand. I was able to force it using a screwdriver but it doesn't seem to come out any slower. Laci really pushes it around with her nose and the food generally is scattered around the room and then she goes back and eats the kibble she left behind. I haven't used it for treats. She eats yogurt and oatmeal with veggies (frozen overnight) in her Kongs for treats.

mafiaprincess
May 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I've given up screwing with it. She likes it and plays with it daily, so I'll leave her and it be, even if I wish it was a little more work than it is. It seems to spit out more when full than when there isn't much left.