Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

camping with dogs?

raingirl
April 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Any tips? The other thread reminded me to ask this.

We are going up for Canada Day to a friends cottage, however, it's a pre-wedding party weekend, so we are tenting it out in the yard like most people. Then in the august long weekend we are going up with my sis's family for a night or two to alora gorge.

Should we bring Odin's crate and let him sleep in there? What if he hears noises and tries to get out of the tent at night? Will be be cold?

wdawson
April 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
i say let him sleep with you......he will be warm and feel secure.......where you going to put his crate in the tent?..or outside?

dragon_queen
April 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM
we always took our dogs and cats camping, we let them sleep inside the tent. we also used to put his leash onto a clothes line, he could run up and down, but it reduced the chances of running around in circles and getting tangled about a tree.
don't forget it's flea and tick season, ask your vet for something.

DQ

raingirl
April 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Oh, the crate would go in the tent. My worry would be that if he is not in the crate and he hears something or sees a shadow, he may try and get out of the tent and rip it.

mummummum
April 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
We go camping with the whole family (4 adults, four kids, 2 -now 3- dawgs) for several weeks at a time and I'm not only waayyyy over-protective, I like to "live in style" (in amongst the dirt and the bugs ;) ) so camping with me is a little like moving a 3 bedroom house...but, just a few tips:

* well-kitted out first aid kit incl hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol,
* sunscreen
* lots and lots of towels, blankets for the car seats
* your usual grooming tools to remove burrs and brambles, broken nails
* the clothes-line as dog-run works really well (nothing fancy - smooth rope and a large caribiner does the trick)
* floating toys, life jacket if you're going canoeing
* definitely crate Odin if he is to sleep with you in your tent (air mattresses=pfffft), put a blanket over the crate to keep out the cold night breezes and help him feel secure
* bottled water (my grrrrl's will drink out the lake happily enough but put some water in their bowl and they turn their noses up...), I use stainless steel bowls - easier to keep clean/ don't hold odours
* I have a cheapo little pup tent that I use with the grrrl's to get them dried off or when I know they need a nap (or I need some "time out" :) )
* I always find out in advance where the Vet Clinics/ any emerg clinics are located and their hours (I usually ask the campground staff if anyone has doggies and where THEY take theirs - because the closest may not be the best choice)
*bring your microchip, rabies/vacc's, licence info with you
* if the area is tick-infested and you will be doing hiking, high boots

Ya see what I mean about micro-managing ? Geesh - I really shouldn't put stuff like this in writing :crazy:

Prin
April 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Don't forget LOTS of dog towels. My dogs always, without fail, throw up in the tent in the middle of the night. Dog towels rock for that sort of thing. :D

Last time, we went with a new tent... Boo did ram his head on the tent at first, trying to get out, but then I distracted him with cookies. He also ended up having to sleep in my sleeping bag with me (he was a little freaked out).

Don't forget your life jacket!:D

erykah1310
April 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I camp alot with my dogs, and one who is quite agressive (to strange noises and shadows) has never attempted to escape, He will usually just bark up a storm to alert us. My Kita gurl is quite timid and scares easily, the same with her she has never attempted to escape, IMO bring the crate if it eases your mind but try with out it as well. If this is the first time for the dog to sleep in a tent, its going to be a learning adventure (for all of you)
One thing for certain make sure all shots are up to date, camp grounds (bbq's fire pits ect.) will attract Racoons and other wild life.
Wish you best of luck on your camping adventures

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Will be be cold?

LOL...Canada, the great white north!!! :eek:

In July and August it can get pretty darn hot here. Where I live 80 to 100 degrees. Bring your sunscreen.:D

OntarioGreys
April 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Elora Gorge is in southern Ontario, if it is hot and humid you are probably going to be wishing for air conditioning, Once the sun starts to set the man eating mosquitoes come out usually till about 10pm being there is a problem with West Niles in the area, I am not sure if they are spraying in the area to keep the mosquitoes pops down, but in wouldn't hurt if you have room to have a screened in kitchen tent to help protect yourself and the dogs

you did not say what area the cottage is in , if north of Barrie the humidity is not normally so bad and if in the northern area area of Ontario don't leave the dogs food outside the tent like I did stupidly one time, close it up inside your vehicle, the bears like dog kibble too :eek:

I prefer using an xpen, you can use in the tent or out and adjust the size to 2' x 2' upto 4' by 4' or combine with another and you have a fenced in yard using tent stakes to make more solid, with beach umbrellas to create shade or by a sun screen to go over the xpen and not have to worry about the dog getting tangled in anything.

domesticzookeep
April 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
keep an eye out at garage sales....you may be able to pick up a used sleeping bag for the dog.....I had a small one for my lab so she wasn't on the ground - and it was easier than bringing up tons of doggie gear...

But *definitely* keep him in the tent with you.....I would recommend once the tent is set up (during the day), let him go in to explore this 'new' space.

My lab *hated* to be confined & really wasn't fond of the whole tent thing - but she was usually so tuckered by the end of the day, she didn't care! I didn't bring a crate, but I did put a small lock (one of those cheap suitcase ones - or even a safety pin would probably work) on the inside of the tent zipper to make sure she didn't try to 'nose' her way out...

Remember - even if it's July or Aug, the temps can drop down quite a bit at night (or if its raining). If you're someone who gets cold fairly easily & likes a really warm sleeping temp - I'd suggest throwing in a pair of thin 'majic' gloves, toque, and wool socks for sleeping in - although in the summer u prob won't need them. (I'm a bare min camping packer, but always bring these - I hate being wet & cold, and do a lot of early/late season camping.....)

You can also buy/ make essential oil mixtures that help repel mosquitos / black flies for dogs......

C.
:ca:

joanna
April 16th, 2006, 02:46 AM
We go camping with the whole family (4 adults, four kids, 2 -now 3- dawgs) for several weeks at a time and I'm not only waayyyy over-protective, I like to "live in style" (in amongst the dirt and the bugs ;) ) so camping with me is a little like moving a 3 bedroom house...but, just a few tips:

* well-kitted out first aid kit incl hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol,
* sunscreen
* lots and lots of towels, blankets for the car seats
* your usual grooming tools to remove burrs and brambles, broken nails
* the clothes-line as dog-run works really well (nothing fancy - smooth rope and a large caribiner does the trick)
* floating toys, life jacket if you're going canoeing
* definitely crate Odin if he is to sleep with you in your tent (air mattresses=pfffft), put a blanket over the crate to keep out the cold night breezes and help him feel secure
* bottled water (my grrrrl's will drink out the lake happily enough but put some water in their bowl and they turn their noses up...), I use stainless steel bowls - easier to keep clean/ don't hold odours
* I have a cheapo little pup tent that I use with the grrrl's to get them dried off or when I know they need a nap (or I need some "time out" :) )
* I always find out in advance where the Vet Clinics/ any emerg clinics are located and their hours (I usually ask the campground staff if anyone has doggies and where THEY take theirs - because the closest may not be the best choice)
*bring your microchip, rabies/vacc's, licence info with you
* if the area is tick-infested and you will be doing hiking, high boots

Ya see what I mean about micro-managing ? Geesh - I really shouldn't put stuff like this in writing :crazy:

LOL. WOW I love that you are so prepared! Thank you for the list of things!
I'd definnitely take this to heart when I go camping this summer!!..
Can our family come camping with you guys?? :D

Bushfire2000
April 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I take the dogs camping with us and always take their boxes(a.k.a. crates) along. They like them. And it makes them feel more secure. I keep them in the tent at night for bug control and put the boxes outside during the day. The clothes line works great whatever the size of dog. Where we go the dogs aren't to be left in the campsite alone so they go everywhere. P.S. they are also not allowed on the main beach so check this before you go.
Have fun!!