Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worried Mom

paw1973
April 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
My female yorkie has been in what the Vet calls "a dry heat" for over 2 months. She has been mating with my male on an average of once a day. I'm at wits end. The vet said we have to wait until she is completely out of heat before we can have her spayed. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through this.

OntarioGreys
April 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I have not heard of any dog going thru this

but was thinking possible a dog birth control such as Megestrol acetate (Ovaban Rx) may help end the heat cycle so that she can be spayed, something that you could ask the vet about

BMDLuver
April 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Yesterday we spayed a Berner that is in perpetual heat.. we were not aware until the vet opened her up and saw her follicles and size. He had no difficulties with the spay nor did she.. normally we would wait as well but in this instance we were not aware and waiting would not have made any difference. Thinking probably your circumstance is pretty similar.

paw1973
April 15th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I have not heard of any dog going thru this

but was thinking possible a dog birth control such as Megestrol acetate (Ovaban Rx) may help end the heat cycle so that she can be spayed, something that you could ask the vet about

I appreciate your answer and will ask my vet. about this on Monday.

Thanks, Patti

paw1973
April 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yesterday we spayed a Berner that is in perpetual heat.. we were not aware until the vet opened her up and saw her follicles and size. He had no difficulties with the spay nor did she.. normally we would wait as well but in this instance we were not aware and waiting would not have made any difference. Thinking probably your circumstance is pretty similar.

I'll be contacting my vet. again on Monday. Thanks, Patti