Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried about new pup

jenika
April 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM
hi.... we have 3 pets now a 10 year old sheltie. a 4 year old white cat that was born deaf and last week we brought home an 8 week old minpin....i am concerned about our cat and wonder if just by leaving them to make friends on their own will work, so far the cat spends much of the day downstairs and comes up in the evening when the pup is put to bed for the night. we will be on a trip with the motor home on the long weekend in may and of course our pets travel with us, does anyone have any suggestions on a way to speed up the friendship, the sheltie is fine with the pup.

BMDLuver
April 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM
You can't speed up the friendship.. the cat may never like the pup at all... that's just how it is.. I don't blame the cat one bit for giving the pup a wide berth.. pups are as annoying as all heck with cats. They'll decide if they wish to be friends in their own slow methodical time.. you can't make them be friends.. The cat will find a spot that it feels safe in while you are on your trip... Enjoy your trip and they'll work it all out on their own.

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2006, 10:25 PM
i am concerned about our cat and wonder if just by leaving them to make friends on their own will work

No, do not do this.

A 4 year old cat is not likely to want to be buddies with a puppy. Trying to rush it is the biggest mistake people make, and could result in severe injury for the puppy and set up a lifetime of hostility. You cannot force cats to do anything and if you try, you could have a cat who pees around the house or becomes aggressive. They do things when they are ready and when they feel it's safe.

The only way your cat will feel comfortable is if he knows the puppy cannot get at him.

badger
April 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM
In fact, it may be a good idea to leave the cat at home and have someone look in on it daily. A motor home is an even smaller space so much more stressful for your cat, better to leave him/her in a familiar environment until it gets used to your new fur kid. And of course, less stressful for you.

jenika
April 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
i can see that you are right i will keep the cat in a safe place until she is ready to make friends...we moved her and her litter box to our room with the french door closed...she can safely observe the going ons from her side of the door...that way she has more contact with my husband and i

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Perfect solution!:thumbs up