Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal glad sludge

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
You know.. I've laughed in past over threads talkign about how to express your dog's anal glands, and been sympathetic but not fully understanding of people's woes..

Till today.. I thought Cider's compulsive licking might be a worm I couldn't see.. And only really clued in today that maybe it was a gland problem.. Stupidy thought no scooting no problem..

But we killed 3 birds with one stone.. And I took her for HW/ Flea, Bordatella and to look at her bum today..

And the vet asked me if I wanted her to rectally express them to see what was in there.. and low and behold nasty coloured thick sludge.

Oh my lord.. Didn't have a clue what it was like for any of you poor other people with anal gland issue dogs..

But, now, I'm so so sorry to anyone I had had a chuckle over due to finding anal glands funny. *sigh*

Plus side though, Cider is acting way better,.. and obviously was in pain and I didn't really get it..

angie79
April 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM
:grouphug: I forgive you!!!

really not funny!!! but isn't it worth the money to payu someone else to do it!!! and the pungent odor!!!:yuck:

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Heck yes.. I'd rather not do that.. Especially since she did the internal way rather than the external way of expressing so that she could get all the fluid out and see what it was like...

LOL, Man.. I had no idea what this was like.. but wow.. Cider is a way calmer dog.. week and a half of pain and I didn't see it liek that..

SunGurl372
April 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM
And the vet asked me if I wanted her to rectally express them to see what was in there...

Wasn't that painful for the vet and his staff???? :D

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
lol I still find it funny. If you can't laugh, then it's really horrible.:D

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2006, 11:50 PM
hahahahahah

The vet laughed about it the entire time.. telling me this was so the reason she went to vet school. So she could put her finger in dog's butt's. :D

I'm laughing about it.. now that the licking has stopped.. and we are home.. and I'm not having to look at the sludge still.. cause she so wanted me to see how nasty it was in comparison to normal fluid... ack.

But I'm kinda amused..

Though I used to laugh at how it wasn't me... *tear*