Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toxic Easter Lily Reminder

Shamrock
April 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
For those with plant-nibbling kitties - all parts of the Easter Lily (and all lillies) are highly toxic. :sick:, can be fatal if enough is ingested.

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Good reminder!!! I went into town today and almost everyone I seen had an easter lily in their cart.

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I was at vet's today and someone was picking up her cat who had been hospitalized for eating of said Easter Lily. She decided she would have to put the plants out of the cat's reach. Does such a place exist?

jesse's mommy
April 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I was at vet's today and someone was picking up her cat who had been hospitalized for eating of said Easter Lily. She decided she would have to put the plants out of the cat's reach. Does such a place exist?

Walk into any grocery store, convenince store, drug store -- pretty much anywhere right now and look for the plants that are tall with big white flowers on the end. That's an Easter Lily. They are absolutely gorgeous flowers, but very poisonous. Here's a picture:

phoenix
April 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM
;) I think she meant, is there such a place as out of a cat's reach?

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
That is most defintiely what I meant!! Lily's are toxic to me as well - have very bad allergies, with Lily being the #1 allergin - wish to heck they would leave it out of skin care products - especially mine. Nothing like buying a product you have used for 15 years only to have a serious reaction because they changed the formula. I have yet to see a place the cat can't reach. And of course if there is a dog in the mix, the cat will happily "share" by knocking the plant down. Especially when kitty wants to do away with dog. The ladies who run the vegetable/fruit/plant store where I shop are very up to date on what plants are hazardous to pets which is great. Of course I kill plants by looking at them. I was annoyed to see Cocoa Mulch being pushed in a flyer distributed yesterday by a large, local gardening centre - Cocoa Mulch being very bad for dogs. Loblaws garden centres stopped carrying it last year due to concern expressed by pet owners.

jesse's mommy
April 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry about that. Now that I reread the post, it makes sense to me. At 6:00 this morning I read it different!!! I honestly thought it said plant not place. Oh boy, maybe I should get my eyes checked again. I think I need a stronger prescription! :p