Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

listless dog

Pianokathy
April 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hi!
I have a 3-year yellow lab who has always been in good health. Yesterday after I let her out in the morning to do her business she didn't seem to be her usually peppy self. When I returned from work and let her out again she still seemed very listless and we started walking a little ways when she collapsed and her legs stiffened and it appeared that she was unable to move for about 30 seconds. She eventually lifted her head and tried to get up but again collapsed. I tried comforting her and eventually after about 10 minutes she was able to get up but moved very slowly. She's remained that all evening. She drinks water but doesn't seem very interested in eating. She was about the same this morning. Did she have a seisure? Can animals get the flu or viruses? I was planning to take her to the vet tomorrow it she hasn't improved. Any suggestions?::confused:

Rottielover
April 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I would try and get her in today, it sounds really bad. Should not wait

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
my suggestion would be to get her into the vet TODAY. We have no way of knowing if she had a seizure, only a vet could diagnose.

but to answer your question about flu/viruses... yes, dogs can get the flu and viruses.

Best wishes for your lab, I hope it's nothing serious.

OntarioGreys
April 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Being very listless prior to the collapse suggests a very, very ill dog not a seizure, especially with one so young, if it was me I would have been rushing to the nearest veterinarian clinic after the collapse not waiting to see if things get better, whatever is going on is very serious

White Wolf
April 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Please take the dog to the vet and come back with an update.