Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FREQUENT UNRINATION ~ Help!

TundrasOwner
April 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hello,
This is my first post and Im sorry but it is a little long, but I need some help ASAP.

Problem: Tundra (Husky) Is FREQUENTLY urinating. I have had her to the vets a Number of times she has been diagnosed with a urination disease and only eats Hills Perscription C/D diet. She has had 4 UTI's before and is regularly tested for them now. But no matter what I do the dog is continuing to pee on my floor. Mainly she pees on the floor during the night or early in the morning when I am asleep (Approx 10pm-6am). She also will go on the floor or in a crate while I am away at class or work. Its as if she can not hold it or there is some other cause, she is never left longer than 5hrs max during the day. I have had her in and out of the vets and she has been tested/x rays taken/on medications and nothing has done any good. Some common things I have noticed are: Excessive drinking of water (Will drink the whole thing at one time if I allow her), frequent licking of her genitals, redish pink look to her privates, Excessive panting, Awful breath, and the urine will change from a clear almost odorless to sometimes a very dark awful smelling urine. The vets are insisting that her urination is behavioral, but I have tryed everything from crating, putting a diper on her and kenneling her and everything has failed. I am a college student and have had her since she was a puppy, the vet bills are becoming to much to handle and I will be forced to put my best friend down if I can not control her problem.

Background Info: Tundra is a 5 1/2 yr old Female Spayed Pure Bread Siberian Husky. She was diagnosed with Hip Dysplacia at 2yrs old and we have opted to not put her on pain medication but she does get daily doeses of glucosamine from a tablet form purchased through her vet. Tundra also has Seperation anxiety in which she is locked up in a small space while no one is home and this has helped to keep her calm (Crating her is not a good option because she will howl continuously). We have been experincing problems with Urination since she was 3yrs old and its slowly getting worse. She is a very active loving dog but very stubburn as well. She has been diagnosed with a Urinary Tract Disease in which she only eats perscription food and treats.

If anyone has anything that can help to control my Best Friends problem please let me know! Any and all comments would be helpful for I am very stressed out and do not want to put her down for something that can be taken care of!

Thank You Everyone
Amanda

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Have they tested for Cushings or Addison's diseases? This is fairly simple and requires a timed water deprivation test at the vets (approx. 3 hours) and if they haven't done it yet, it's time. Also, if you feel you're not getting the right response from your vet, seek a second opinion before putting her to sleep. I don't think they're doing the right tests, as I've gone through a similar situation (but my vet is amazing and open to any and all things AND willing to do payment plans). Also, she may have allergies to the crap prescription food they're pushing on you. Frankly, you haven't seen any improvement after the food change so it might not be worth the ridiculous sum per bag for Hills C/D. Seriously, this sounds like a hormonal problem and your vet isn't doing such a hot job, my thoughts are with the both of you and good luck.

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
In the fall, my spayed 6 year old dog started excessive drinking - up to 12 cups a day! and peeing huge pools on the floor overnight. She also dribbled urine and soaked her bed every night.

I know what you are going through. My dog had bladder stones, but even when they were removed, the incontinence and drinking continued.

My vet suggested a certain type of kidney problem. Dont' ask me to explain in detail, but what happens is that the kidneys produce way too much urine. There is medication to control this but not cure it. The test to find out involves leaving the dog at the vet all day, where she is given no water, and having her urine tested at 2 hour periods. If the urine remains dilute, the kidney problem is to blame.

Turned out that is not what my dog had, and a few weeks of hormone therapy (Proplin - propalin..??? Prin, what is it??) stopped her urinary incontinence.

It's not uncommon for spayed dogs to be incontinent, and the hormones are very inexpensive.
Dont' know if this helps you....

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I agree...this is definitely more than a urinary tract infection. If this is the fourth time your vet has diagnosed it as that, I would consider changing your veterinarian.

Let us know the outcome.

TundrasOwner
April 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks to All have replied ~ heres some more info.

I actully have consulted with a second vet who hasnt had anything better to say to me. She has been on the propalin medicine ~ in fact she just got off of that because it did nothing to help her. As far as I am aware of she has not had any test on addisons or cushings disease, and I will be looking into that. I can accept that when I am not home for a while that yes she may go because of a behavioral problem, but I have a hard time accepting that when I am home she would go on the floor, on her own bed or even in her diper, and she is beginning to do that, which is uncommon for her (She is very smart and does know right from wrong). The Hills perscription food ~ I believe is not doing anything for her, she has been on it for over a year and since being on it nothing has improved, in fact they still continued to find crystals in her urine and she has had 2 UTI since being on it but never any bladder stones showed up on the x-rays. I have an apointment with the vet tomarrow to discuss what if any options I have left.

I do wonder if this could be a result from a problem when being spayed? ~ Can the vet have maybe done something wrong when she was spayed as a puppy? ~ ~ I ask this not that I believe my vet is a bad vet ~ but right after being spayed she had a UTI and since then she would get one about once a year until she was around 3 and crystals and UTI became routine.

But its not only urine anymore ~ yes its mostly urine ~ but she also appears to poop or relive her stool way more often than I believe she should, to the point where she will go poop (Not Diareha this is solid) 6-7 times a day, and shes not eating very much to be relieve herself like this.

Perhaps It is behavioral like these vets insist it is, but it just doesnt seem practical and I have exhausted myself trying to fix her "Behavioral" problems as well as finacially draining myself with the increasing vet bills, medication and expensive food ~ Not to mention my home will begin to smell like urine if I cant get her to stop. I know there is only so much you can do, before you just have to think about what is the best for your own situation.

Once again if there is anything anyone could come up with that they think may help, I am open for all suggestions ~ I am gonna bring these in to the vet with me just to ask about and hopefully get an answer. Unfortunately if nothing surfaces soon I will have to put her down and that is not what I want to do ~ So anything even small suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Amanda

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
What kind of blood tests, or other tests has she had?

The condition I was trying to think of is Diabetes Insipidus.

Sometimes this kind of drinking can also be caused by a tumour on the pituitary gland.

Your dog's problems certainly don't sound behavioral to me.

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Amanda, push for the Cushings and Addisons test immediately, it's not that expensive (I paid approx. 80 USD for Simon's) and will also assist with diagnosing what Lucky referred to (Diabetes Insipidus). This isn't behavioural, I know your vet is trying to steer you that way, but trust me it isn't. The kidneys are either diluting the urine too much or concentrating it too much and her system is responding horrifically in both urine and stool issues. Don't give up on your pup, there are options and other tests, and as much faith as I have in my vet, even she doesn't have all the answers all the time. Hang in there, I know it's tough :grouphug:

-As a side note, Natures Miracle enabled me to get the security deposit back from my old apartment where Simon had most of his issues. They said they couldn't tell I had 2 dogs in there, let alone they didn't know one of them had 4x a day accidents (even when I was home)

TundrasOwner
April 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, she has been tested for diabetes and kidney disease last time I was in there. In a test they call the Antech?? Thats what it says on the vet summary.

I just got back from rushing her to an emergency vet because she had a reaction to the Revolution heartworm stuff and vomitted 16 times in 45 mins. But thank god she is gonna be ok.

This vet gave me a extra thought to the urine problems. Apparently she has a immature vagina which may be the source to why she gets urinary infections, or is adding to the complications of a high ph problem. Tomarrow I am going to have a urinalysis done and see if something else can be done. Hopefully this new vet can come up with a idea on how to control her problem. WOW what a day! Thanks for all your comments

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
The test is called the ACTH test and it's a timed water deprivation test, it tests for the presence (abundance or shortage) of adrenal hormones. If she hasn't had this, or your previous vet did it, I would recommend having it done asap. :pawprint:

TundrasOwner
April 14th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well she had a urinalysis test again and it showed no signs of either crystals or high ph which is the first time in 2 yrs. But now the vet suspects vaginitis, and because I have spent so much time and money in his office he treated her free incuding the medications he wants me to try, that was such a relief. I really hope this will help, if she has any sort of infection the drug is suppose to stop the urination problem, but if it fails than back to more testing.

Thanks Everyone

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
The type of antibiotic used can also make a difference, my foster was on chephalaxin(sp?) because her spay incision had opened up on the haul from the US but she had all the signs of a uti though the urine test came back negative, the adoption group vet said it still could be a UTI but that the chephalaxin may not be killing off the particular strain of bacteria that she has so she was put on a 10 days course baytril instead, within 3 days a huge improvement as she was starting to be able to hold for longer periods.

TundrasOwner
April 28th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Well Tundra has taken a full course of Cephalexin.... Half way through the antibiotic she began leaking excessive amounts of urine. The amount of which she is leaking has decreased but she still leakes urine continuously. After two years we ARE seeing improvements. Since finding out she has a immature inverted vagina. She has been treated for infection, on cephalexin 2 pills twice a day. Now she can hold her urine, but is leaking regularly small and large amounts of urine. She is going on Propalyne and Cephalexin (Half the reg Dose) for one month. It appears that she has a bladder problem and the inverted vagina causes infections. Its very frustrating that it has taken over two years for some type of answer. Plus it came from a vet who saw her once instead of the vet who has saw her since puppyhood. I dont know whether this has solved the problem but it has given me some hope that I can keep my favorite pup! The cost of the medication is somewhat stiff given my current finacial status, but if it does the trick I plan to try and work something out with my vet in hope to get lower cost or some form of payment plan so that she can get the medication as needed. Thanks for everyones help.

Amanda

TundrasOwner
April 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Also I wanted to say Thanks on the NATURES MIRACLE TIP ~ I purchased a bottle and it took the urine smell out of my carpet after I had scrubbed it 3 times prior. I live in a Apt as well and had inspections last week ~ I passed with flying colors ~ No damage and No pee stains/smells ~ YAY!!

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Congrats. I know it isn't solved yet, but I'm glad that it's working on being treated. Must be a relief. And nature's miracle really is a miracle :)

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 01:18 AM
The cost of the medication is somewhat stiff given my current finacial status, but if it does the trick I plan to try and work something out with my vet in hope to get lower cost or some form of payment plan so that she can get the medication as needed.

When my last siberian husky was diagnosed with thyroid problems and had to be on meds for the rest of her life, my vet let me buy a whole bottle (500 pills) at a time, which sure saved on buying a month at a time.:pawprint: