Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it the dry food??

crazyk1020
April 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I have recently switched the dry food that I free feed my two cats about a month ago. They also are fed twice a day canned food. It is also shedding season here...they are shedding all over, I can't keep up with the brushing and I do try. They have just recently started puking every once in awhile about 2-3 hours after eating their canned food, but only during the day, never at night. BTW I have taken them both to the vet and there is no obstruction or anything else wrong with them. They did blood tests and x-rays. It usually consists of chunks of hard food that are not digested and only a little wet :yuck: ...gross I know I just wanted to be specific. They vet thought that I should switch their dry food to Science diet hair ball formula, but I know that stuff is crap, anyone have any suggestions on what this could be...is it hairballs or is it the dry food or both? Should I not offer dry food to them anymore? And any suggestions on what I can do? I have tried the hair ball remedy stuff but it only works for about a day, I don't think it is safe to give them that constantly is it? (btw I am feeding them Natural Balance).

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'd try a bit of a different dry food. It could be that they're just not tolerating the one you're feeding.

chico2
April 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
If it does not happen too often,like every day,I would not worry about it too much.
You have discussed it with the vet already,right..
My one 10yr old tabby,will vomit on occasion,usually dry food,still in chunks,as if he did not chew at all and there is nothing wrong with him.
I too feed mine canned twice a day and they freefeed on dry.
The only thing that concerns me,is that yours both vomit.
I would not put them on any hair-ball food,unless you notice hairballs in the vomit,maybe just change the dry to something else,get sample-bags from your store,cheaper that way.
I've never given my cats any hair-ball remedy,but they are all 3 shorthaired.