Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still peeing in dog box. HELP!!!

jeannie00
April 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Valentine is getting ready to approach her 4 months of age the 19th, and still, we cannot get her to stop peeing in her box. She is not in it very much accept for at night at bedtime, and when we are unable to watch her. The thing is at bedtime, we will take her out to potty, she does her business, then of a morning, when we go to let her out, her box is full of pee. We dont understand. Hubby stays up all hours of the night, and he lets her out before he goes to bed. SOmetimes he stays up till 3 and 4 in the morning, the times vary, and he lets her out , then by like 7 her box is full of pee. Shes only in her box a few hours at a time, but she soaks her box. Were afraid if we dont break her now, its never gonna stop. She is still having accidents in the house as well. She done good for the first month we had her no accidents whatsoever, now all of a sudden she is having accidents in the house. ITs not everyday, just every now and then, which is to be expected, but how do we stop her from peeing in her box. The saying, dogs wont soil where they sleep, IM sorry but i dont believe that. Shes never pooped in the house or in her box, but she sure dont have problems peeing in it. Yes, we limit her water intake after 6 to just a few sips. We need to stop this problem now, or its never gonna stop.

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
did you get Valentine a vet checkup to rule out any medical problems? Have you tried letting her sleep with you, instead of in her crate?

jeannie00
April 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yes we had her just a little over a month ago, and everything checked out fine. No we havent let her sleep with us. If we did, would she pee in our bed?????

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Well that's good news everything checked out ok!

where is the crate? I keep a crate in my bedroom for my dog. When he was 4mths, I kept the crate right NEXT to my side of the bed, this way I could hear him if he woke up and needed to go out. Which, btw, is expected of a 4mth old pup.

I think when my dog was around 5-6mths I started letting him sleep in bed w/ us, and I noticed he slept like a ROCK. He didn't need to go out. He slept very soundly.

I can understand that you don't want to risk having your bed peed on - so perhaps trying the crate next to your bed would be a good first try.