Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Choosing a New Vet

Staciewells1
April 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
This seemed to be the most appropriate place for this question, but feel free to move it if necessary (since it's not a specific medical question).
We love Ellie's vet, but it's a half hour's drive away and not always very convenient. We asked them for a referral, but no one there knows vets on our side of town. Does anyone have a suggestions on choosing a new vet? Questions to ask? Things to look for? I know I should know this, but I've used the same vet since I can remember. Thanks in advance for your help.

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM
If I were choosing a new vet closer to my home, I'd probably ask some of my neighbors (who have pets) who they use, and what their experiences have been.

besides expert medical knowledge, I always look for a clean, safe, friendly environment, which is why I'm still using the same vet my family has used for 20 yrs. One of the reasons I refer alot of my friends to my vet is because of their "way" with their animal patients. The staff at my vet's office consistantly go out of their way to make each visit a pleasant experience for the animal - happy attitudes, treats, and lots of affection. In fact, all of my pets have always enjoyed a trip to my vet. It's never been an "in and out" type of attitude there, they take the time to put the pet and the owner at ease.

good luck w/ your vet search!

techpuppy
April 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I agree with jessi76. Don't be afraid to snoop. Visit a prospective vet and ask the receptionist about the services and facilities. Do they have 24 hour contact info? Do they have x-ray equipment? Do they offer hospitalization services? Take a quick tour if you can. Look for cleanliness and how well maintained things are. Eavesdrop a little. Do they call pets by their names? Are they interacting with the pets? If you happen to meet someone on the way out ask them what they think of the vet. Think of what is important if you were choosing a doctor for yourself.