Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog nappers ?

Stewart
April 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I was wondering as its only recently started becoming a threat over this side of the pond. Do you suffer from dog nappers over there? I would imagine in a large place like yours its happening and has caused very much heartache everywhere. As I've said its on the increase over here people takeing dogs left unattended :mad: I can leave my GSD Gypsey outside shops or malls as you call them and she will be there sat waiting as I left her.And because I live in a not so big town in a more rural area this has been a luxury I've enjoyed for some time but sadly its becoming a No! No! She comes nearly everywhere with me and now because of this threat if I need to use a shop in the local shopping centre or mall as you would call it, Because it would mean leaving her out of sight I have to reconsider. :sad:

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I have NEVER and would NEVER, leave my dog unattended outside a store. To be honest, the thought has never even crossed my mind. If for some reason I have to stop in a store and my dog is with me, I leave him in my car, all windows open a bit, and I ALARM my car. I park where I can SEE my car and my dog from the store, and try to be as fast as possible. of course, I only do this when weather permits. If it's remotely hot out, I leave him home.

I live in a rural area, and honestly, I've never heard of anyone's dog being "dog napped" - but then again, nobody in my area ever leaves a dog unattended in front of a store.

Even when we vacation w/ our dog, and go out shopping, either me or my bf stays with the dog, we shop in shifts. Leaving my dog tied outside a store is NEVER an option.

Dog Dancer
April 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Dog napping is quite common out here now and they warn people about it all the time. I would never leave my dogs alone tied up outside a store no matter what. Actually I always laugh because my Akita X has separation anxiety and will absolutely tear the house down (literally) if you leave her alone in the house. So I always say if anyone ever did steal her they'd bring her back after they left her alone the first time:eek: But seriously, small dogs are a huge target out here - designer dogs - and I have to shake my head every time I see a dog tied up outside some place. I'd worry that bad people would steal the larger dogs to guard drug houses and then treat the dogs badly. I would never risk it.

mummummum
April 13th, 2006, 10:29 PM
It's a VERY big problem in Toronto particularly with purebreds. Dogs are stolen from gated and locked front and backyards, from locked cars, off the street. Ceili was stolen three (gawd I'm losing my memory - was it four ?) years ago -luckily she either broke free or whomever stole her decided she wasn't "the prize" they apparently thought she was - and happily for me was picked up by Animal Control wandering the streets far from home one bitterly cold night. I don't ever want to live through that again.

meb999
April 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It's a VERY big problem in Toronto particularly with purebreds. Dogs are stolen from gated and locked front and backyards, from locked cars, off the street. Ceili was stolen three (gawd I'm losing my memory - was it four ?) years ago -luckily she either broke free or whomever stole her decided she wasn't "the prize" they apparently thought she was - and happily for me was picked up by Animal Control wandering the streets far from home one bitterly cold night. I don't ever want to live through that again.

holy crap! That must have been scary!!

mummummum
April 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
It was ...a horrendous hell I would not wish on anyone. I thought my heart would break. I truly encourage you Stewart to "reconsider" (as you put it) leaving Gypsy unattended. Living in small towns can be deceptively comfortable - horrid people are everywhere whether they live there or are just passing through. Truly - you would never forgive yourself if something happened to Gypsy - and it is the most helpless and lost feeling in the world.

Stewart
April 14th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I can walk her into town and its a way of walking her also as getting other stuff done. I am fortunate because she is so good to be able to this with her off lead if I choose because she stays close when told and stops sits and waits at all kerbs. Ok I am spoilt as she is so good she isnt startled by large traffic dose not chase cats(loves them in fact) and dose not charge up to other dogs we may meet enroute. She comes into my bank with me and lays by feet while i conduct my business and I now only leave her by the door of shops that I can see her from inside. She also comes to my local Rugby Club with me and now knows nearly all the rules ;). As I've said I have been enjoying this way of life for some time but sadly because of these low lifes takeing dogs to order I have to reconsider. I would hate to think what she would do if some person tried as shes so faithful but its not a test of her I want to make either. Besides they drug them also. Was just curious how much it went on elsewhere.:pawprint:

twodogsandacat
April 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I recently watched a CTV news article regarding the rise of dog napping incidents in the UK. It is definitely a problem that could soon become as big here as it is over there if it isn't handled properly.

The story indicated that it was becoming very popular because police didnít take it seriously so the chances of getting caught were low. To combat this private companies have sprung up in the UK to assist in handling cases of dog napping.