Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

East Coasters (and everyone else too!), tick season is upon us

jawert1
April 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM
And no, I don't mean that dreadful tv show from a few years back. I found one on Simon tonight after our walk, and yes, he's on Frontline Plus, has had his Lyme vaccination and his heartworm preventative. So has Peach for that matter. Some days I'm grateful I have one of each, a shorthair and a long hair because I tend to catch the ticks faster on Simon than I do on Peach (he's had 3 in 3 years, she's had 1), but boy is it a pain when she hides in my closet upon spying the flea/tick comb and Simon going through the "hold still, just hold still, ok bud, it'll be ok, just hold still, i promise you're getting a cookie" dance. Just wanted to raise the alarm for anyone living east coast lower 48 since we had a very mild winter and it's starting early :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
That sucks. Poor Simon! I've never actually seen a tick (we're pretty lucky up here).

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Aside from the fact that they're part of the arachnid family (and thus on my "kill it kill it kill it kill it" list) they're just plain nasty looking:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/images/4ticks_cm.jpg

He was such a good boy given it was on the top of his poor lil head and right near the kissy spot, so he got extra pets and a very large peanut butter biscuit when it was all done.

happyhappy1
April 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
My son got bit by a tick last spring and got Lyme disease. Luckily he developed the bulls eye rash and was treated immediately. I shudder to think of what could have happened if we missed it, or he had asymptomatic symptoms. We live in Virginia.

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'm in Massachusetts and I've been pulling them off Tucker for the past few weeks - we have an abundance of tics in my area - the teeny weeny ones... I keep Tucker on Frontline Plus year-round, but just about every single time he comes in from the yard, I pick at LEAST one off. Thankfully, Tucker is a light tan/white color, and very SHORT hair, so I can see them instantly. It's just routine now, everytime he comes in, he gets a rub down to de-tic him.

Needless to say, I have a perpetual case of the "creepy-crawlies".

mom_to_many
April 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah..the little nasties are out in Oklahoma too.. Give me fleas, spiders, or even the dreaded June bug...anything is better than finding a gorged tick..eeeeewwwwww:yuck:

mom_to_many
April 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
And Jawert...those pics gave me the skin crawlies...lol

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
lol I complained in another thread, but I'll complain here too! You have to put a warning before those pics. They catch me unprepared and then the heebeejeebees set in and it's not a good thing.:eek: :clown:

meb999
April 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM
lol I complained in another thread, but I'll complain here too! You have to put a warning before those pics. They catch me unprepared and then the heebeejeebees set in and it's not a good thing.:eek: :clown:
LOL!! I added some pics on that other thread just for you, Prin!! :D

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Oh I've got a great case of the heebee's going too Prin, especially after realizing that Peaches was laying in my bed shortly after I noticed Foo had one attached. I spent the better part of my night waiting on clean bedding (I procrastinate with laundry so ALL the sheets had to be done). I will say this, both of my dogs are absolute angels when it comes to Mommy's neuroses which include tick checks come this season, they know that they get extra cookies for being soooo good and not (rightfully) biting me when I poke and prod and comb and look and pick and fuss and.... well you get the picture. I'll put a warning in next time, though I hope there won't be a next time.