Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear injury

huskey_newfie
April 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM
My 5 month old Huskey (chinook) loves to taunt my older dog Shilo and went a bit to far tonight. I came downstairs to the screeching and yelling and at first thought Chinook was being a drama-queen but upon closer inspection I found a nasty gash on the back of her left ear... I pinned her down to take a closer look (she can't sit still for anything) and found that you can pick up a piece of the fur... OUCH. She isn't in pain and the bleeding stopped, I cleaned it with peroxide and water and put some polysporin on it but I am wondering if I should do anything else? Does she need to see the vet? I live in a VERY small town and a vet wasn't available at the time of her injury. ( I an overprotective Mommy and we woulda been in there FAST) Any thoughts? I so wish they could talk sometimes...:confused:

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
How bad is it? My dog was nicked by the groomer.. and you could 'lift' a 'piece of fur'. I was told with that type of injury on it's own it won't heal. You'll loose the skin and the fur. Is it a large chunk, or not so large? It may require stitches or staples, or if it is in a high movement area with little chance of surviving as is, surgically removed and stitched shut.

But the longer it is left the more debris that can get in and the fewer choices you will have unfortunately.

I hope it's a minor injury.

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Definitely see a vet. We can't tell how big the cut is by your description, but if it's as big as I think it is, definitely go to the vet.

huskey_newfie
April 13th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Hey, Thanks for the responses. I think to be safe we will have her checked. It is about the size of a nickel on the back middle of her left ear. The flap is against the skin now but there is a small peice that has nothing over it... maybe a cm in length. (I suck at descriptions...) But now that the vet is open I think just to be sure...The last thing I want is for her to be in any pain or get an infection. So, thanks!

huskey_newfie
April 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hey, Chinook is at the vet as we speak having some stitches put in. We were there when they opened this morning and although the vet figures it could heal on its own, it will definilty heal nicer with some stitches. So I will be picking her up in another hour. Thanks again for the help!
:pawprint:

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
So glad to hear Chinook is on the mend.:thumbs up Is she a Siberian Husky?

I have a 15 month old Siberian and he still loves to taunt. I had two Siberians before that and they did as well. I think it`s just their nature.:D

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'm so glad everything is ok.:)