Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timberwolf vs. Merrick's

SunGurl372
April 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I've been sold on feeding Harley Solid Gold Wolf King, but it has officially become impossible to find in town. The two stores that carry it haven't been doing so on a regular basis anymore, and won't order it in special for me.

So, I've had to switch over to Merrick's Wilderness Blend, in an effort to keep Harley as close to the bison / salmon based SG food as I possibly can.

I just found out that there is a store that carries Timberwolf in a neighboring town. I've emailed them to find out what varieties and sizes they carry, how well they stay stocked, and what they charge for their bags.

If for some reason everything comes back favorable....I've got a decision to make. Out of curiousity, which would you choose? Timberwolf or Merrick's? The Merrick's appears to be a bit more grain-centric, but it smells sufficiently stinky for me to think the fish content is pretty decent.

Timberwolf Dakota Bison

Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

PROTEIN: 26%
FAT: 16%
FIBER: 3%
MOISTURE: 9%
Kcal/kg: 3,680

Merrick's Wilderness Blend

Buffalo, Oatmeal, Barley, Salmon Meal, Venison,Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Natural Venison Flavor, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Caramel Color, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Ribofl avin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 24.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.5%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%
Kcal/kg: 3520

starsen
April 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Timberwolf Organics has more meat and is gluten-free. Definitely my pick.

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Definitely the Timberwolf. Merrick's first ingredients are grains (buffalo moves down when it gets dehydrated in the cooking). Timberwolf has salmon meal as #1, and on top of that, you have salmon oil as the fat. Definitely a clear winner, IMO. (Even better than the wolf king too).

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I switched my dogs to Timberwolf Organics just recently and, so far, I highly recommend it. No problems at all and they (a siberian husky and a lab) love it.:thumbs up

The first bag I got was the Southwest Chicken and Herbs formula because the food I was feeding previously was chicken based. I am now in the process of switching to the Wilderness Elk Canid formula. It has the exact same ingredients as the Dakota Bison once you switch the elk for the bison.

If you decide on Timberwolf, let me know what you think, as I`m not aware of anyone else on this forum that uses it. Mostly because of availability problems, I think....for some reason it is more readily available in British Columbia than eastern Canada.

mummummum
April 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Funny you should say that (about eastern Canada) - I just determined there is a Global in The Beach on Queen Street that carries Timberwolf (if any of you TO'ers are interested...). Sadly - nobody (well, except Bridie but she'd eat boiled socks) liked the Solid Gold Wolf King, Wellness, Wysong, the Dick Van Patten brand, the Eagle Pack Herring/Anchovy/Salmon which is very smelly - only so-so and - anyway we're not having much luck on finding a kibble. So we too are going over to Timberwolf on the next purchase and hope that this is "the one".

SunGurl372
April 14th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I'm in negotiations with the shop that sells it here locally.

They are selling the 33lb. bags for $62 US. I priced it out on Timber Wolf's website, and if I order two bags, the price still comes out about $10 US cheaper, including shipping, to order it online and then you have to factor in gas to drive to pick it up. St. Augustine isn't too far from where I live, but with gas prices these days, every penny counts.

I emailed my concerns to the store owner (also asking if he peddles in live animals. If so, scratch that option). If it doesn't work out, I'll probably buy online.

The ingredients look fabulous. Much more meat based than the Merrick's I've had to resort to. Not that Merrick's is bad by any means. Take it any day over the Iams and Nutro I used to feed. I'll keep you posted on the results.

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Funny you should say that (about eastern Canada) - I just determined there is a Global in The Beach on Queen Street that carries Timberwolf

Timberwolf just recently reached a deal with Global Pet Stores to sell their product. Is there very many Global stores? I`ve never heard of them in B.C.

So we too are going over to Timberwolf on the next purchase and hope that this is "the one".

Good luck...I hope this one works out well.:fingerscr We love it at our house.:thumbs up :pawprint:

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM
SunGurl, I`m just curious....do you live anywhere near Dundee, Florida - the head office of Timberwolf Organics?

mummummum
April 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Timberwolf just recently reached a deal with Global Pet Stores to sell their product. Is there very many Global stores? I`ve never heard of them in B.C.
Good luck...I hope this one works out well.:fingerscr We love it at our house.:thumbs up :pawprint:

There are loads of Global's in Toronto. If memory serves they are a co-op (of some sort) - which functions like a franchise.

jesse's mommy
April 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM
SunGurl, I`m just curious....do you live anywhere near Dundee, Florida - the head office of Timberwolf Organics?

If I remember correctly from another thread, I think SunGurl is more north of me and I believe I'm closer. It's about an hour from me.

SunGurl, correct me if I'm wrong.

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Depending where you are it is global pet food or ryan's pet food or a combo of the two names.

http://www.globalpetfoods.ca/

I just bought my first bag of wolf king. No happier about it than she was the wellness. I didn't even think to ask if they carried Timberwolf..

Guess in 15 pounds of food I'll go see.

SunGurl372
April 15th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I'm in Jacksonville, a little more than two hours north of where Jesse's Mommy lives.

Funny, that you can live so close to the Head Office and still have heck of a time getting your hands on the product. :rolleyes:

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
If I remember correctly from another thread, I think SunGurl is more north of me and I believe I'm closer. It's about an hour from me.

I'm in Jacksonville, a little more than two others north of where Jesse's Mommy lives.

Actually, the reason I asked was because on another forum I go to, they`ve been bashing Timberwolf for not saying where their food is milled. Someone phoned the head office and the person that answered the phone said they "didn`t know" where it was made. I thought if you were close enough, perhaps you could go into the office and ask. As it turns out Timberwolf is manufactured at the Diamond plant but they still will not admit it. It was Diamond that confirmed that Timberwolf uses their facilities. A lot of people on the other forum are still ticked off that Timberwolf won`t admit it. Personally, it doesn`t bother me.:D

SunGurl372
April 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I know that Diamond had some food issues recently. Any word about those concerns transferring on to Timberwolf, if that's where they are producing?

mummummum
April 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Depending where you are it is global pet food or ryan's pet food or a combo of the two names.

http://www.globalpetfoods.ca/

I just bought my first bag of wolf king. No happier about it than she was the wellness. I didn't even think to ask if they carried Timberwolf..

Guess in 15 pounds of food I'll go see.

I'm not sure ALL the Global/Ryans are selling Timberwolf mafiaprincess - if you check the Timberwolf website under dealers, you can pull up a list for Ontario and look for your local there.

mafiaprincess
April 18th, 2006, 12:39 AM
No no, I didn't figure they necessarily all were. I just didn't even really look to see if that store was.. and I wanted to put up the website if other people were lookign for their location.

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
I know that Diamond had some food issues recently. Any word about those concerns transferring on to Timberwolf, if that's where they are producing?

Timberwolf doesn`t use corn in their food and that was the ingredient that was contaminated with afloxin (sp?). Someone asked Diamond if there would be concerns of cross contamination with Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (they don`t use corn in that Diamond brand) and they said no.

Also, I would think that Timberwolf probably has their own dedicated lines at Diamond. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.:pawprint: