Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

IBD Correct Diagnosis?

Brian A
April 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Hi all,
We have a 7 year old beagle named Sara who has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowed Disease. What has me wondering about the diagnosis is that most dogs with IBD seem to suffer with vomiting and diarrhea where our Sara never does. Her bouts always consist of waves of very severe abdominal pain. The pain attacks are so severe that we always need to take her to the 24 hour animal hospital for treatment. They always discover bloating and gas in her lower abdomen and it is of course very sensitive. The usual treatment has been fluids, bupinex for pain and reaglan to settle her digestive track. The irritation usually works its way through after a day or so and she is fine until the next attach. It should be noted that this dog never has diarrhea and rarely vomits and even when she does, it is usually more like a wet burp. She will just suddenly burp up a small puddle of water with some food. She has been on 30 mil of Zantac daily and I seems to handle the spitting up.

She did have an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy which found the stomach surface was corrugated and the duodenum was corrugated, erythematous, and friable.

She was ultimately diagnosed with IBD and is on a strict veterinary diet of IVD food, and Imuran every other day. She continues to have bouts of severe pain about every two or three months.

As I said in the beginning this does not seem to be consistent with other dogs IDB symptoms and Iím wondering if another diagnosis is plausible?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

jesse's mommy
April 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM
If you aren't sure of the original diagnosis, then you might want to seek a second opinion.

sealady
April 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have a Westie and I was going through the same thing with her.
I ended up having to cook for her as none of the strict veterinary diet of IVD foods from the vets worked for her.
The difference I had to do in home cooking is baking a meatloaf instead of cooking on top of the stove like some people do.
All dogs are different, I can only say this has worked for her and a lot of other Westies that had skin problems.
I use green beans, I buy a roast that I cut up in pound chunks and after I cut ALL the fat off I grind a pound up for each meatloaf. I mix raw quakers oats, an egg and a cooked rice, every other meatloaf I add freash baby spinash cut up.
I mix this all up like you do your own meatloaf and bake.
If you think it might help post and I'll tell you the amounts I use.
I know what it's like to stay up with a sick dog, I have missed many a nights sleep.
Hope you find something that works.
SeaLady

Brian A
April 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Hi SeaLady,
Your are not the first who recommended this approach. I bring my dogs to one of he best vets in the area and she recently had a vet visiting who is an expert in eastern medicine. She had mentioned the cooked lean meat might also be an approach to consider. I'm also surprised to hear you mention skin problems because one thing is did forget to mention is that our Sara itches quite a bit and has no fleas. I would love it if you would post the amounts you use in your recipe. Thank you very much.

Brian

OntarioGreys
April 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
THis site may prove helpful in the top banner there is some diet/food info,
http://www.geocities.com/ibdogsintl/index.htm

This may explain why your dog is not having vomitting associated with the IBD

Signs of IBD are dependent on the location of the problem. Disease in the stomach or upper small intestine are frequently associated with chronic vomiting and weight loss. Diseases of the duodenum, ileum, and colon are associated with chronic diarrhea, weight loss and infrequent vomiting. Small bowel diarrhea is often watery with a large volume of faeces and the patient acts sick. Large bowel diarrhea is associated with straining, some blood, mucus, small volume of faeces and frequent attempts to defecate.

sealady
April 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I tried to send this to you but couldn't as I'm new.
I will look for the other place to post this also I just wanted you to see this .
SeaLady.
Hope what I've written below will help, as for the meat, I always buy something like chuck roast or what ever beef is on sale BUT, I cut ALL the fat off, hamburger meat has to much fat in it.

I have used Turkey (but got a frozen one and used one of the breasts, and the rest was for us humans) with no problem but Chicken makes two of my girls itch so no one gets chicken.
A holistic vet said she has seen more and more dog itch from Chicken.
My one can't have anything that has just the word chicken anywhere on the package.

Furkids Meat loaf

I use two kinds of meat, I buy it whole and grind it myself using a food processor or meat grinder.(no bones)
Beef and deer, or beef and turkey, lamb and turkey, just use two different meats if you can, if not don't worry about it.
It's just I read somewhere if doing home cooking this was best.
I use about a pound of each or more.
Add two cans of green beans, rinsed, to remove some of the salt, or use frozen ones, I also grind any veggie I use up.
Two eggs,
Two cups of Quakers old fashion oats (uncooked)
Add at least two handfuls of fresh baby spinach torn up in small pieces.
One cup of cooked rice, brown or white.
This I mix up in a large bowl as you do any meat loaf.
I use a cookie sheet sprayed with non sticking spray.
Put meat mixture on this and form into a loaf but only about two inches thick. (I spread it all out)
Bake at 350 for a hour.
I do give a good pet vit. with minerals just to be sure.

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Not to ask a really dumb question, but has the vet done testing for parasites like giardia? These too can come and go in waves based on egg laying/hatching/maturation cycles and might be worth looking into if this is a cyclical thing. If IBD works anything in dogs like it does in humans, then usually there's an underlying allergy or food irritant the body is rejecting, but should do so on a daily basis if it's food related, not every few weeks/months. Good luck and sorry if I asked about something you've already covered. Hope your furry friend recovers. :pawprint:

sealady
April 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I made sure my vet did all the testing also for parasites like giardia.
But nothing showed up.
With My little one you knew what day of the week it was by her outbursts.
She started out with sounds every Wednesday that could be heard in the next room then the runnie stools.
I would watch everything she did, nothing would change and she still did this for over a year with the vet doing all kinds of tests.
I took it upon my self to start trying different ways to cook food and this is how I made up the meatloaf.
Have no idea why it works for her and the others.
I just know a lot of Westies have stopped itching and the stools are now fine.
BUT if I mix it up and cook it on top of the stove, she gets lose stools and tummy sounds back.
My vet just shakes her head and says don't you do anything different, it's working.
I love dogs with all my heart and could never be without them, just wished I understood them better.
SeaLady

jawert1
April 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I think we all feel that way SeaLady :) Glad the new diet is working for your pup :)