Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

humping between young males

littlesister
April 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
My sweet little boy dog, weeks from his neutering date, 1 yr old, has acquired a neighbor friend. He is another young male, un-neutered. They love eachother. Literally, they just keep humping eachother. It looks to be very sexually charged.
The owner and I are both kind of wondering if we should just let them continue or interfere. I've never seen this before.
If we let them continue, will they ever get over it? Should we correct them?

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM
It's dominance, not sexual chemistry.
Even when neutured (or spayed) many dogs hump. If uncorrected, your dog may try to assert dominance over the wrong dog one day though who may not take very kindly upon it. May also try to dominate humans they think of as lesser in your family pack structure. It's an undesireable behaviour.

Jenmlf
April 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
There is a little boy doggie in our obedience class that does this to my little guy. It is just a dominance thing. Dogs don't think of it the same way we do. Our trainer said to separate them when the other dog mounts and not to encourage it. So yes, interfere.

littlesister
April 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I've seen a little mounting before, but nothing like this. They look very very sexual. And they take turns.

rainbow
April 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I've seen a little mounting before, but nothing like this. They look very very sexual. And they take turns.

LOL...Do you mean as soon as one finishes the other has his turn???:eek: I really don`t want to comment on that!!!:evil: :D

But anyways, my two neutered boys will occassionally do the humping thing but they definitely don`t take turns.:crazy:

cpietra16
April 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
:D My female lab humps my small female calico cat. The cat, Chrunchie, has no idea what Winnie is doing. She just lays there looking up wondering why Winnie is fanning her....feel good on a hot day:D

Prin
April 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Umm.... This quote pretty much answers the question:
Humping, from what I've read, is a dominance display.Which was from your own post here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=227337#post227337
;)
Dogs don't hump sexually unless one is in heat. If they're "taking turns" it could be that they are very close in size/age/weight/agility and are trying to establish a leader between them. That can lead to the worst kind of fight between dogs-- a fair one. Those go on until one or both dogs are seriously hurt (if you don't intervene).

Either way, you definitely have to stop this behavior.

littlesister
April 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM
It certainly doesn't look like there's any kind of find to erupt. They're both easy going, calm natured and all. My guy shows his submission by lying on his back while the other is trying to hump him. Then later he gets up and is humping the other. Neither seems to mind being humped. I've done some corrections, push them off eachother, but it's hopeless. They play a little and then it's back to humping. I guess the only way to prevent it, if that's what I should do, is keep them away from eachother.

Rottielover
April 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Put it this way it is very rude behaviour. I mean extremely rude to allow it to continue. There are other ways of allowing a dog to show his dominance over another. I would correct this at once. I can tell you, I would not stand there and watch if someone allowed to do this with my dog.
It just takes doing it to one wrong dog, and your dog can me really hurt, or worse.
Correct this behaviour. YUCK!!!!

loveyadogs
April 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM
you could have yours neutered and your neighbour could have hers neutered and they they may stop.:)

Soroush
April 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Brokeback Mountain II
Staring: littlesister's dog and her neighbour's dog
Coming to a theatre near you!