Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Ear ABSESS/Blister

LauraF
April 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
My dog Jiggs, a Border Collie/Brit Spaniel cross has been acting funny the last couple of days. He has suffered from weepy eyes his whole life so they are acting up...but I also noticed our pup Ozzy licking Jiggs' ears alot. So I just flipped the ear back and his has what looks like a blister or absess the size of a fat dime on his ear. Not in the canal but on the last bit of cartlige before the soft part of his ears. It looks like it is filled with clear liquid and is ready to explode. Anybody had this before?

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
You need to see your vet. We can't diagnose your animal over the internet, nor are we qualified to. With abnormalities you never really know until they are checked out if it was serious or not.

Beaglemom
April 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I agree with mafiaprincess, a vet check is definitely in order. Your vet will be the only one who could do a proper diagnosis. It may be an ear hematoma, or it could be something completely different. Has he been scratching his ears or shaking his head a lot lately?

LauraF
April 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, glad to know I am not overreacting. We're book for a 6:15 apt tonight...the vet said he is probably in alot of pain...my poor baby.

rainbow
April 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Glad to hear you got a vet appointment. Let us know the results.:pawprint:

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hope things went well!

coppperbelle
April 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a hematoma, a vet check is in order.

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Sounds like a hematoma, a vet check is in order.
I agree. You'll have to listen carefully to the instructions he gives after they remove the fluid. You have to keep the wound open to keep draining it (it's kinda gross).