Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to Thread Desperately in need of Help!

shelley7053
April 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Hello, I am new to this thread and am happy to find such a place to gather information. I have a German sheperd that was in an accident day before yesterday resulting in trauma to the head, a huge laceration to the chest, and her right front leg does not work at all. Her right eye also is droopy. The vet said that there is possible nerve damage to the leg and possible amputation for the future. She is 10 yrs. old and would not beable to support herself on 3 legs. I have been using a towel under her chest to help her out the door and she even has difficulty with the back legs (is getting better). Emily weighs 95lbs and I am by myself and afraid to leave her alone. She tries to stand up on her own and falls down. I am so upset I really don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to loose her of course and I want her to be happy. I am a school teacher and on Spring Break - thank goodness for that!! But I have to go back to work on the 16th. Forgot to mention that she doesn't have much of an appetite, is thers something special to feed her that will build her strength up? Thank you so much for reading this and I am open to any suggestions.

Shelley

froudema
April 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hello Shelley,

While I do not have much to offer in the line of suggestions I just wanted to say :sorry: to hear that your baby is is doing so poorly. There are 'carts' that are available to help dogs get around but I know they are pricy - Hope he recuperates.

Beaglemom
April 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your furbaby is not well and is going through such an ordeal, especially at her age. It does sound like some nerve damage has occurred. Many dogs live very happy lives on only 3 legs. There is a saying that when God created dogs they made them with 3 legs and one to spare. They do adjust to using only three legs. It was only a very short while ago that this accident occurred, I can only imagine the pain that she is in. Her lack of appetite may be due to the fact that she may be in discomfort or it could be due to her medications. Speak with your vet about this. She does need to eat in order to recover properly. It is a very good thing that you are at home now to help her through these very difficult days. She is lucky to have you. Please keep us updated on her progress.