Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

health insurance for dogs

Rottielover
April 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ok, as most of you know about poor Harley and his many misfortunes. Do you think it is worth while to investigate the pet plan.....It is very expensive for Harley per month. 91$ plus tax. I am just unsure of all the hide away things that they may not cover....Even though their priciest one says it covers all.

What do you think????

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Since it wouldn't cover any pre existing conditions, it wouldn't really 'cover all'..
Would you be looking at it to cover future oops' or does he have problems now that you were looking to maybe cover? 91 bucks a month really seems like a lot.. Though I understand, if something really horrible happened it would be worth it... but either way it would be a piece of mind.

Rottielover
April 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM
he has nothing that is pre exisiting right now. he is very accident prone, but i do not know if it really is worth it

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
As mafiaprincess pointed out, the "cover all" insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions - or conditions resulting from said pre-existing conditions. When we paid $80 a month several years ago (before there was competition for pet health care $) it did not cover everything - did not cover annual exam, shots etc. Also we were responsible for the Admin. fee per claim, general deductible per claim and breed deductible. Also there were lifetime caps for certain conditions, and annual caps for other conditions. My boss had the super deluxe plan - at the time cost him $141 a month which included cost of shots, spaying/neutering etc. So when he had a claim he was astounded to find out he had to pay above noted deductibles and that there were some limits. Once his dog had been spayed, his monthly premiums were not reduced. Based on annual cost of basic annual shots etc. his plan was no bargain. Certainly we paid over $6,000 in premiums (twice) and then over $6,000 for 2 different surgeries - and received about $1,200 back - so we finally just started a bank account. Then came the Eskimo. So we started a bank account until we learned about VetInsurance Plan which will cover up to $15,000 per lifetime of dog - except hip dysplasia and teeth (unless canine tooth is broken and then plan will pay for reconstruction). No limitations per injury. We pay about $35.00 a month. Eskies are prone to cruciate ligament and luxating patella - not to mention breaking of legs - all of which would be very expensive. Basic daily hospitation is now "all inclusive" as well - so I am comfortable with this plan, as is my vet who told me about it having gone through same scenarios as we did. I like the fact that should Eskie break his leg or have to have surgery for a blockage that the cost will be covered (actually they cover 90%) - a couple of the other accident/injury plans cover up to only $1,000 per year for blockage surgery - and that wouldn't cover it. Since you are in Canada you could check out vet insurance www.vetinsurance.com. Make note though of spay/neuter requirements to cover for hormonal related diseases (including diabetes) - if dog adopted prior to age 12 months, must be fixed by then. If adopted from a recognized shelter, and over age 12 months, must be fixed with I think 30 days. There are a whole lot of diseases that fall into this category - our guy was neutered at 7 months so is fine. Monthly premiums go from new puppy to age 1; 1 - 3 years; and so on. Your age category at enrollment monthly premium may go up, but your classification will stay the same. You must of course take all preventative measures - my girly guy has KC shot and Lepto - so even if he contracts either disease, we took precautions. All I ask is that we don't do the midnight run to Guelph. I really think that $91 a month is too much with the various options available these days.

rainbow
April 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I also have been thinking of getting pet insurance for my boys. The following was posted by Beaglemom recently in the "General" thread:

There are several different companies that offer pet insurance. It can be quite helpful in times when money is tight and vet bills are very expensive. Most companies offer several different plans that fit into different budgets. You have the emergency only plans which tend to be the cheapest and you have the full coverage plans that cover everything except pre-existing conditions.

Here are some links to the most popular ones:
www.petcareinsurance.com
www.petplan.com
www.vetinsurance.com
www.pcinsurance.ca

I`m still undecided between vetinsurance.com and pcinsurance.ca ("the new kid on the block"). Does anyone have insurance through pcinsurance .ca?

Rottielover
April 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
pcinsurance does not cover by me, but I know of petplan, the quoted me over the phone 91$ plus tax

jawert1
April 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I have VPI for Peaches and Simon, the link for which is below (though I don't know how that works north of the border :/)

http://www.petinsurance.com

I have the superior plan with routine care coverage for 25.00 USD per dog (multi-dog discount). It seemed to be the best coverage for what I could afford and it's been helpful.

Rottielover
April 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
they refer you to petplan in canada. way too expensive for me....but U.S have it nice and cheap, not fair:(

Beaglemom
April 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Rottielover, that price seems to be a bit high. Did they quote you the Champion plan? That is their all inclusive plan. It includes the annual stuff like vaccinations. Do you really need something that inclusive? The only reason I ask is because I believe that on top of your monthly premiums (which are adding to over $1000 annually) you will have to pay a $200 deductible for your first claim yearly. So if you are claiming your annual vet visits and heartworm test for example, you will still have to pay a deductible. I don't like this one for that reason. You could save some money by choosing a lower plan and paying for the annual (budgetable) expenses yourself and only having coverage for accidents and illness.

I'm with PetCare and have one of their MasterCare plans. It only covers accidents and illnesses but I'm paying less than half of what you would be paying. I find that even though I'm paying for the other annual stuff myself, it is still cheaper than having the PetPlan Champion plan.

I personally think that the pet insurance should be for unforeseeable things and the rest, because they are budgetable, shouldn't need coverage. It will ultimately be your decision, but I thought that I would just mention this. There are people who love the Champion plan because it covers everything.

Request information from them and have it mailed to you. Read all the fine print and double check those deductibles and copayments and ask them lots of questions before you make your final decision.

Rottielover
April 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
yes it was for the champion plan. Thanks for the info, they never told me about the deductable... Arghhhh

Beaglemom
April 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I called them to double check and they told me that there is an annual $200 deductible that is paid when you make your first claim in a given year. After that one, you don't pay it again within that year with any other claims submitted it is only the following year at your first claim that you pay it again. Have you considered one of their other plans or another pet insurance company? I woundn't hurt to get quotes from different companies on their plans and then comparing them.

rainbow
April 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
pcinsurance does not cover by me,

Rottielover, what do you mean by that? Are they not available in your area? :confused:

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
rainbow - I have seen the signs in Loblaws for pc Pet Insurance but have not looked into it. I would suggest you read the fine print ever so carefully and try and speak with someone regarding deductibles etc. I used to arrange bank wire transfers and PC clients were told there would not be transfer charges, but failed to tell their clients that the intermediary financial institution would be charging a hefty fee. The joys of trying to make a client believe me were wonderful. Finally I called someone I knew at the intermediary bank and she confirmed it for me. PC will be using a specific insurer - so just be careful - especially if plan seems to be too cheap based on comparable plans for your pet's age and breed.

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
SnowDancer - thank you so much for the information. I will definitely double check everything. "Buyer Beware":D

techpuppy
April 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone,

We talked to our vet about pet insurance. They told us that we'd be better off setting some money aside each month in a savings account for vet expenses. We lost a companion last year which had to be hospitalized and this year our new puppy had parvo and had a week of hospitalization. We were lucky, our vet is very reasonable. The total cost was a bit over $800. We made payment arrangements and are paying monthly. Once we've got it paid we will be putting $20 per month "on account" at the vet's office for possible future emergencies. It does kind of commit us to using this vet, but we couldn't be happier with the quality personal care they have given our pets. By the way, the $20 "on account" was our idea, not theirs. Although we could have put the money in a savings account I don't have the willpower to leave it there. ;) We thought many of the pet insurance plans were out of reach of our budget and the lower priced ones had too many exclusions.

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Techpuppy - I also put money ($50 month) aside for my two boys.

I lost my last two dogs to cancer (six months apart) which cost $$$$$. When I got my next dog I asked the vet about pet insurance. She wouldn`t recommend a specific plan but mentioned the option of putting money aside in a separate bank account "just in case".

I started doing that last July so now have $500 set aside. But lately, I`ve been thinking "what if" something should happen before that account builds up? We all know how expensive vet bills can be. I`ve ate lots of Kraft dinner and hot dogs because my animals have always come first. That`s why I`m now looking into the pet insurance plans.:D

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM
rainbow - you are quite right, the problem with savings accounts is building up sufficient funds to handle a major emergency. And of course the problem with pet insurance is that if said emergency happens at age 7 you have paid a lot in premiums and you may receive reimbursement for only a small portion of your expenses, as happened with 2 of our dogs. I am comfortable with Vet Insurance since I won't have the limitations - just ask that pup doesn't get hip dysplasia. I had a claim 3.5 months in when pup had to be hospitalized with a virus for 3 days. Bill was nearly $600 and vet insurance paid 90% of the costs (minus the initial exam fee, special food and the first $25 of each day of hospitalization). I almost fainted that I actually received a cheque for a good portion of the bill. I like the fact that my vet took out this plan herself after experiencing the same problems I did.