Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Widow Spiders

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yesterday I am pretty sure I saw my first black widow spider. The kids were playing in the backyard with a friend and wanted to show me the spider they were going to catch and take to school . For the insect club ??????? :confused: It appeared from underneath the siding of our house.

I dont let my kids touch spiders - cause you never know. So this had the black shiny body and the big butt - I believe the red spot is on the belly so I didnt see that - but pretty convinced it was one.

I do like most animals but spiders especially deadly ones sort of freak me out - so I have to admit I did kill it quite dead - raid and my foot too - :eek: .......but then a few moments later I saw a tiny one that I am pretty sure was a black widow too - so I now worried that we may have a nest of them

Writing4Fun
April 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
:eek: OMG! I'm afraid of spiders at the best of times. Tell me there's a black widow nest somewhere in my house and I'd probably have the "For Sale" sign up that afternoon. :p Seriously, I had no idea there were black widow spiders in Ontario until I had that Zootek guy in for my son's 5th birthday, and I would have been much happier going on with life not knowing. :eek: Good thing my 6 year old is just as "cautious" around spiders as I am. My 2 year old is another story. This boy knows no fear. Well, I'm off to research black widows and then to comb the yard for any sign of one. Thanks for the paranoia attack! :D

meb999
April 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
did it look anything like this? The red hourglass IS on the underside of the spider's butt.... unless it'S a male black widow, then it doesn't have the marking (and I don't think it's quite as venomous). Are there Black widows in your area? Have any been sighted before? They're not too fond of people, so if you stay away from them, they'll stay away from you.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
yep that is what it looked like - I didnt really want to pick it up though to check out its belly.:eek:

rainbow
April 12th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting the pic meb999. Now, I know for sure that`s what I seen last year (I live in the West Kootenays).

I opened the back door to come in the house when I noticed it.:eek: It ran towards the door jamb so I quickly shut the door so it couldn`t ran around the other side of the door and be on the inside.:eek: :eek:

I hate spiders and whack them every chance I get.:evil:

And because I`d never seen a shiny black black spider before, my first thought was a black widow.:eek: Thank god, my husbands fishing boots were outside next to the door. That spider got whacked harder than I`d ever whacked one before, so I never would have been able to see if there was a red dot.:evil: :evil: But if I remember correctly, it`s blood was green.:D

raingirl
April 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I thought Black Widow spiders weren't in Canada.

BoxerRescueMTL
April 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I thought Black Widow spiders weren't in Canada.
Me too!!! We just moved to the country and there are lots of spiders here :eek: Now I am definiely not sleeping tonight. I'll be on the lookout 24/7!!

Writing4Fun
April 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM
They don't usually survive our extreme winters, but the Zootek guy said he gets easily a dozen calls per summer to pick up all sorts of wierd exotics. Black widows, tarantulas, snakes, etc... People keep them as pets because they think they're cool or make neat conversation pieces, and then either lose them accidentally or release them on purpose because they can't keep them anymore. He also said quite a few come in on produce shipments, way more than you'd ever think possible. Since black widows are usually desert dwellers, they're used to cooler nights, so they stand a better chance of surviving longer up here than the tarantula would.

meb999
April 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
one spider I'm glad we don't have here is the brown recluse....yikes, that's a scary bug!!
My brother did his army basic training in the south of the states, and they were tought to shake out their shoes and clothes before putting them on....brown recluse aren't afraid of humans and they loooove to hide in our shoes. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhh!

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Why is it that at least once every 6 months, somebody has to start a thread about spiders or insects and somebody else always posts a spider pic and NOBODY EVER posts a warning in the title?! The title should now read:
"Black Widow Spiders: WARNING CREEPY PICS!!"
You know? Some sort of warning so that we can see it coming and avoid looking at it at all hours of the night. :mad: :clown:

That settles it- I'm never moving to BC. Beautiful schmeautiful. :eek:

meb999
April 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
This is how to identify a black widow :

( from : http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/black_widow_spider.htm)

The female black widow spider is the most easily recognized, her shiny black body giving great contrast to the red hourglass marking on her round abdomen
Adult black widow spider males are harmless, about half the female's size, and usually have yellow and red bands with spots on their backs.
The legs of the male are much longer in proportion to his body than that of the female, with it's body half the size.

Where are they found?

-- The black widow spider’s range is from Massachusetts to Florida and west to California, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.
Although they can be found in almost every state (and some portions of Canada),
this spider is most common in the Southern locales of the United States.

--Black widow spiders can be found around wood piles, and are frequently encountered when homeowners carry firewood into the house.
Webs are usually built near the ground (occasionally within dwellings) normally in trash, rubble piles, under or around houses and outbuildings such as privies, sheds and garages.
They can be found under eaves, in storage bins, underneath unused construction materials, inside wooden toy boxes, firewood boxes, outdoor toilets and sheds, meter boxes, and other undisturbed places.
Black widow spiders can be found on the underside of ledges, rocks, plants and debris, wherever a web can be strung.
Cold weather and drought may drive these spiders into buildings.

meb999
April 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM
WARNING CREEPY PICS!!!

The black widow :

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/2061A.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/BlackWidowSpider.jpg

and, just as an added bonus, the brown recluse :

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/brown2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/brown_recluse_spider.jpg

I'm also really scared of spiders...but I often find researching them and stuff sorta helps with the fear....

Writing4Fun
April 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'm also really scared of spiders...but I often find researching them and stuff sorta helps with the fear.... Nope, not helping at all. Really, it's just making me more paranoid, and now you realize I am NEVER going near the sheds or wood piles in the backyard. Thanks for that. :p

Skryker
April 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Yargh! The Metro Toronto Zoo has (used to have? It's been about 9 years since I was there) the most disturbing display habitat for a Black Widow-it's built to look like part of an outhouse, with a shelf and a roll of TP sitting on it. The web is just under the shelf, where you'd never see it, and the spider likes to hang out IN the roll of TP, where it's nice and dark....

Wouldn't that be a nasty surprise!!:eek:

As for the brown recluse, they sometimes make their way into Canada. My Mom was bitten by a spider at her family home in NB a few years ago. They couldn't positively ID the spider (since it was a pile of mush by that time :D ) but the bite acted exactly like that of a brown recluse. The supposition is that one hitched a ride in my Grandmother's suitcase back from a trip to Texas. :yuck: Just not nice.

jessi76
April 13th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I've heard of black widows here, once in a while, but thankfully, have NEVER seen one in my area. I'd probably have a heartattack if I did. I remember last year, my bf went away for a week... I was home alone... went outside to call my cats, and what do I see? A spider WEB... not just any old web... this thing went from the roof of my house to the ground. (and I have a 2 floor house).

I completely flipped out. Called a neighbor, who came over just to see it. This thing was so big a PERSON could fit in it, and of course, a giant icky brown warty spider in the center of it. My neighbor (a wonderful man) had to wind the whole thing up w/ a big tree-branch, and then he stepped on the spider... leaving MEGA-GOO all over his shoe - just like some creepy sci-fi flick.

I have no clue what kind it was, but I'm convinced it was on steroids.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM
It seems that spiders with big butts are poisonous - and yes there are black widows in BC especially in the Okanagan - not sure if they are on the coast as much.

Before we had are rennos done our patio was mostly dirt and had a whole pile of junk under there - I am hoping now that it is cleaned up they will go find a new home somewhere else. :D

spidy are you under there

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I am hoping that they will be gone there isn't really any where that they can hide here. :D

Maybe the one I found was just packing up its things and heading out. Oh dear but I killed him - now I feel guilty :eek: :sad: he or she was just probably heading to its new home at the T.O Metro zoo :D

Writing4Fun
April 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
When my sister lived in an upper duplex in Montreal, near the river, she had a pair of spiders building webs across her doorway. I called them her "sentries". I had to wear my full-face motorcycle helmet to get in her door. :yuck: She told me about one time when she was washing her dishes. This spider landed on her thumb. The body of the spider was the size of her entire thumb. :eek: She didn't notice it there right away because she was watching another one squeeze its way in through her two windows. Imagine ... these things are as big as your thumb, yet they can flatten themselves enough to get in through the teeny crack where two panes of glass meet. :eek:

Yeah, thanks for that bit of into about where they hide, Skryker. I've never been a fan of out-houses. There go my husband's camping plans for the summer!

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
That settles it- I'm never moving to BC. Beautiful schmeautiful.

I`ve only heard of them in the Okanagan and West Kootenay areas of B.C. so you`d be safe anywhere else here.:D

I`ve also read that they have also been found in southern Ontario, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.:D

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the warning Meb. Seriously, THANKS.:grouphug: My boyfriend watched me scroll down until they were gone (he looked, I didn't).

Ok, then. I can move to the rest of BC, just not the warm, sunny area...:D

Jackie467
April 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Here in TX we have black widows and brown recluses. I'v never actully seen a black widow, but my mother has. However I see brown recluses all the time, I always shake out my clothing and expecially shoes when I get dressed. I also check my bed because sometimes they will crawl in under the sheets.

Black widows are actully not deadly unless they bite a young child or elderly person or you have an allergic reaction. The bite will put you in terrible pain, but not kill you.

jesse's mommy
April 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
But the brown recluse is terrible! I had pictures on my computer before the hard drive crashed of the effects of a brown recluse spider. I'll ask Jim if he still has the pictures on his computer and if so I'll post them -- of course with a warning before! They are really nasty, but it gives you such a wake up call to keep a close eye on these things. You wouldn't think a little disgusting bug like this could do so much damage! Yuck!

HunterXHunter
April 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
But the brown recluse is terrible! I had pictures on my computer before the hard drive crashed of the effects of a brown recluse spider. I'll ask Jim if he still has the pictures on his computer and if so I'll post them -- of course with a warning before! They are really nasty, but it gives you such a wake up call to keep a close eye on these things. You wouldn't think a little disgusting bug like this could do so much damage! Yuck!

I that the one where the guy had a big on his hand near the thumb area, and it shows what it looks like over the next week? and I *think* you can see bone in the last pic...definitely not a "Prin" pciture :thumbs up

chico2
April 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
You guys are a bunch of wuzzes:D
Although I don't like a spider on me,I find them to be fascinating hard working little/big creatures,they catch a lot of bugs in their webs and are welcome around my house anytime:thumbs up
There is only one bug that gives me the creeps,that's the house-centepede,turns me in to a hysterical nutcase,they are sooo fast not even my cats can catch them.
I am waiting to find my first one,as soon as it gets a little warmer:evil:

jesse's mommy
April 13th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I that the one where the guy had a big on his hand near the thumb area, and it shows what it looks like over the next week? and I *think* you can see bone in the last pic...definitely not a "Prin" pciture :thumbs up

Yep that's the set of pictures! It's nasty, but very informative. Do you think it's too graphic to post?

Jackie467
April 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I also got those pics. That is actully what happens if you are allergic to the bite. there is of course no way to know if you are before you are bitten. And actully it gets worst, if you are allergic to the bite wounds like that can pop up on your body anywhere at any time after the bite which can cause you to lose limbs or can cause death. Luckly the allergic reaction is rare, but does exist.

jesse's mommy
April 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I've heard of dogs losing their legs because of a brown recluse bite.

shannonRN
April 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'm also really scared of spiders...but I often find researching them and stuff sorta helps with the fear....
Hmmm. You're lucky! It's kinda having an opposite effect here and I'm having trouble walking past the stack of firewood now, so here's a little cuteness interlude in the midst of all this creepy-crawliness:
http://www.dachshundpages.com/new_gallery/smooth005/Easter%20Bunny.JPG

Oh, and happy Easter everybody!

Prin
April 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for changing the mood Shannon. I was afraid to come back in here (I still scroll without looking).

Frenchy
April 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I had a black widow tattoe on my shoulder (taken out by lazer now) not because I didn't like it,but when I get in my 30's,looks from people annoyed me.I like spiders,if I find one in the house I either let it be or take it outside.They eat all those other bugs I don't like!I had 2 big ones by the side of the pool last year,black with yellow stripes,just beautiful!What makes my skin crawl are mice.WHen I bought the house,it was empty for a couple of months except for 4-5 dead mice in little tray of poison.Bailey caught one last year (there fields all around here so...) I screamed in disgust so he let it drop,it was already dead.I waited for the neighbor's cats to come and get it but the next day,it was still there,I put gloves on,took the biggest shovel I had and to trew it in the garbage. :yuck:

shannonRN
April 15th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Well, you really can't beat a little old doxie wearing bunny ears when it comes to chasing the heebie-jeebies away. (Sorry Shamrock for commenting on this pup's grey muzzle :o )

Most spiders don't bother me too much. It depends on a few factors. Has it:

a) come in contact with my body, or
b) intimately invaded my personal space (like, the state of NY), or
c) scurried suddenly from some dark corner, or
Is it:
d) potentially deadly.

It should be noted that I am certainly no arachnologist, so for all I know, they could all be potentially deadly. :D

I've heard various advice about areas that are populated by black widows (certainly not where I live, no, not me, uh uh!). Things like checking your shoes before putting them on, wearing gloves when handling stuff you have stored outside (trash, firewood, doing gardening). I've done stuff like that compulsively since I was about twelve, along with carefully checking my bath towel before I use it, and never ever never hanging clothes outside to dry. I've had some seriously traumatizing experiences :yuck:

Prin
April 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Most spiders don't bother me too much. It depends on a few factors. Has it:

a) come in contact with my body, or
b) intimately invaded my personal space (like, the state of NY), or
c) scurried suddenly from some dark corner, or
Is it:
d) potentially deadly.

:D :D :D Yep, all the ones I've met have fit those criteria too.:D

rainbow
April 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I've heard various advice about areas that are populated by black widows (certainly not where I live, no, not me, uh uh!). Things like checking your shoes before putting them on, wearing gloves when handling stuff you have stored outside (trash, firewood, doing gardening). I've done stuff like that compulsively since I was about twelve, along with carefully checking my bath towel before I use it, and never ever never hanging clothes outside to dry. I've had some seriously traumatizing experiences

I do all that too except I still hang my sheets out on the line as I love that fresh outdoor smell:love: ...there`s absolutley nothing better.:thumbs up So I just make sure to check both sides and shake everything real good when I take them off the line.:D

jesse's mommy
April 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I can deal with spiders because I'm bigger than them and I can squash them!

As for snakes, that's a different story! I saw two snakes St. Patrick's Day weekend in our backyard and Jim didn't believe me and told me that I was drinking too much and that I wasn't St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland --- until he saw the one snake and tried to get it, but it went under the house instead. :eek: My neighbors must have thought I was nuts because I was screaming and ran around to the front of the house and into the front door! A few days later is when I had the frog in the toilet incident. Then last weekend I saw a snake right out on the patio by the back door in our bedroom. And last week, I think I saw a water mockessin in the lake in our backyard. It was freaky, it's head came out of the water like it was the Loch Ness Monster and went back in. So we've been cleaning out all the bushes and vines that the previous people left for us and making it so no snakes can hide in our yard. Then we are going to put down Snake Away. I'm petrified of snakes it's not even funny. We went to the zoo last weekend to learn about animals and bugs in Florida so we can be sure things are safe for us and Jesse. It was the first time I went into the reptile house in YEARS! I got all my strength up to go in there and I had goosebumps all over the entire time, but I looked at the snakes and I read about all of them and really learned the difference between their heads so I can know if they are poisonous or not. I was proud of myself until we were about to leave the zoo and there was an employee standing there with a snake in her hands. I about died! We actually have a hoe by the back door in case there is a snake. People say snakes are more afraid of us, in my case I don't think that's true!!!! I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. I'm getting the creepy crawlies right now! Ugh.

Frenchy
April 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
wooo,snakes,don't like them either.We're pretty lucky here in Québec,not too much of dangerous spiders or snakes or Loch Ness monsters ;) I would never move to a place where I have to shake my shoes before putting them on!:eek: do you go bare foot in your yard?What if you step on a frog or snake :yuck:

jesse's mommy
April 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I never go in my yard with bare feet! Never never never. I'm too scared. I won't even walk to the side of the house to turn the hose to the sprinklers on without the hoe in my hand. I'm so scared of them. The thing I did find interesting at the zoo was that you can tell if they are poisonous by the shape of their head. If it's poisonous it's head is a triangle, if it's not poisonous it's kind of oval. But it really doesn't matter because I don't plan on getting near one regardless if it's poisonous or not. I just run screaming!!!