Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I can't sleep!!

meb999
April 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I love to sleep. I'm the kind of person who can sleep 10 hours in one night, then take a nap in the afternoon. But whenever exam periods come along...I can't sleep. Does anyone else have bouts of insomnia? And when I finally DO fall asleep -- it's not restfull at all...I wake up just as tired as when I went to bed (sometimes more tired!!), I feel like I ran a marathon all night!
Should I try sleeping pills?

HunterXHunter
April 11th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sorry, but I can't relate. I've become mostly nocturnal due to university. The only advice I can think of would be to wake up your dog, and take him/her out for a jog :D

And good luck with exams...and don't stress.

SunGurl372
April 12th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I think it is just in our nature to carry daytime stress over into sleep. When I'm having a particularly rough time at work, it takes me forever to fall asleep...the brain just doesn't want to stop working (someone get that @#$% hamster off the wheel!!!) :p

And after I do finally get to sleep, I'll typically wake up on and off all night from dreams about work. LOVELY!

mummummum
April 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have had chronic insomnia my entire life (my poor Mum). An over the counter "sleeping aid" is likely to make you feel "sleep-bloat" the next day and doesn't provide a particularly restful sleep. You might try an herbal tea ("Sleepy Times" tea) instead or valerian. Count backwards in french (if you are an anglo) from one thousand. Read in dim light without your glasses if you wear glasses. I build eco-smart houses, design furniture, shoot movies, design ornate costumes, design/build/create just about anything on my way to la-la land. If that doesn't work here's another trick: Sit in a comfy chair with a banky wrapped around you, soft light, gentle music if you like. Visualize whatever you are anxious over as a tightly balled up piece of paper. Pull it apart slowly so that you don't tear it and slowly smooth it out so that you can see what is written on the page. Run your fingers over the words firmly to smooth out the paper further, keeping your breathing slow and steady, reflect quietly and slowly on the words, acknowledge your concern, accept that you have no power to solve the problem right now and are prepared to face your concern tomorrow. Well- I'm off to walk a doggy under the almost full moon!

jesse's mommy
April 12th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Wow Mum, that almost put me back to sleep.

mummummum
April 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzz....

Wha? Wha? Whazzat???? Oh jeeeez...THANKS a HEAP Jesse's Mommy...there I was, having a perfectly loverrrly nap on my keyboard (don't laugh - it's happened)...if there is one TRUE skill I have it's living sleepless and crashing and burning.

meb999
April 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
thanks for the advice....I tried imagining the piece of paper like you said mummum, but wound up tearing it up :D
I can't wait until the 25th -- it's my last exam. Now if only I were ready for it....

Soroush
April 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
if you want a good deep sleep, make sure you're feeling a bit chilly and cold in your bed. A room that is too warm or hot can make you roll in your bed all night and wake up with the slightest noise. It can also cause horrific dreams that you'll never forget in your life.

always leave the window open or turn on the AC when you sleep. Never use a thick blanket that makes you sweat.

As for what to do in order to fall asleep, here's what I do:

Think about a movie you've watched. Start the movie in your head and follow the story all the way till you fall asleep. If you do this properly you shouldn't get to the middle of the movie before you're sleeping.

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I do the crosswords in the newspaper... I don't have a clue what most of them are, so I have to think a lot, and then to boost my self esteem, I finish off with the wonderword. If you can still see straight after that, maybe you shouldn't be in bed at all. :D

Don't go with sleeping pills (unless it's a last resort). I've had insomnia forever, and I never have taken pills for it. They're addictive. Just like having a nice calming drink before going to bed- bad habit. Teasanes (herbal teas) are good, mint or camomile work the best for me. Also, try changing your sheets. Sometimes fresh sheets help me sleep better (even if the ones on the bed are only a couple of days old). Also, NEW sheets. We bought great new sheets and sleep sooo well on them. It just makes it different in a good way.

If it's a regular thing, you might want to try moving your bed. Maybe the energy in the room isn't good and leaves you feeling vulnerable in your sleep. (Hey, I don't believe in herbal remedies, but I do believe in some of the Feng Shui...or whatever because there are places in a room that feel more secure than others). They say to sleep well, you have to have something on all four sides of you and windows can't be behind you...

Other than that... Stop working at least a half hour before bed and do other mind stimulating (or numbing) things that are unrelated so when you go to bed, you don't think about what you were studying. I usually read the whole page of the comics in the gazette really slowly (they're like little stories) so I get the biology out of my head.

Hope something in there helps... Then again, it's 1:30 AM and I'm still up, so how do you know if I'm an authority on the subject or not, eh? :D

badger
April 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Warning: This is addictive.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=CPDIVERTISSEMENT02