Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is once a day enough??

Lump of Kohl
April 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I am working on litter training my 8-9 month old Chihuahua:rolleyes: . I can get him to pee in the litter box but not always poo. If I do it is normally only once a day. If I take him out he will normally go twice a day. Is it okay for him to go poo only once a day? Should he always want to go after a meal?

He weighs 7.5-8lb and he eats 1/4 cup dry(Solid Gold's Wee Bits) mixed with 1 heaping tablespoon of wet(Solid Golds Green Tripe or one of Evangers all natural 100% meats) twice a day. We have been trying for about three weeks now and he hasn't consistently had accidents in his crate(maybe two or three times since we started) and always only poo(I sniff:o the bedding to make sure). We had an issue with too much dry food this past weekend. I was worried about his teeth and was trying to get him to eat just dry but he ended up constipated. A little colace last night got him right this morning (3 whopping poops:yuck: ) twice in the potty box and one outside on our walk. So I think he understands what the potty box is for I am just afraid he is holding his poo and going to make himself sick. My mom says I worry too much. To my surprise(I never had a pet growing up because she said she was allergic but has since been cured:confused: ) she likes her grandog I just think she would have liked one with less fur...:p

froudema
April 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I have a Papillon who is 6lbs - she only goes 1-2x a day- she piddles up a storm though - I was not successful at litter training mine - she didn't like the litter but will go on the training pads - how did you succeed in litter training?

Prin
April 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
When he goes, is he struggling?

Lump of Kohl
April 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well he is not successfully litter trained yet. He just had a major relapse and member Joanna has been helping me. There is a thread in the general cat and dog forum called "Litter training...for dogs" check it out.

He isn't struggling when he does go. I think its just a side effect of his litter training relapse that he doesn't go like he used to. I just wanted to make sure it was okay. He was constipated a few days ago so I've been paying close attention, but I think it was that I was giving him too much dry food. He is not a big water drinker. I tried one doce of Colace and that set him right the next morning. I have since gone back to feeding him a mix of wet and dry.

raingirl
April 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
My dog usually goes once or twice a day. Actually, he usaully goes 3 times every two days (almost like clock work!)