Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bone cancer or bone cyst in cats

Ginny C.
April 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
10 days ago my 15 year old cat started limping for no apparent reason. On the 2nd day we took her to the vet and after examining her he gave her a shot of cortisone and an anti- inflammatory to take orally. One week later there was no noticable difference except that a bump was forming above her first joint. We returned to the vet and he x rayed her leg. He called and said it was either a bone cyst or bone cancer- part of the bone in her joint was disintegrated. He said there was really nothing that could be done. If she were younger she could be operated on but at this age it would be tricky. I want to know how fast this progresses, is there pain for the cat, and is there anything that can be done.

chico2
April 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I have no answer for you,but I am sorry for you and your kitty:sad:
The vet should have been able to tell you how to best care for her,I assume she will need pain-meds.
Maybe her bones are deterioating from age,maybe it's not cancer at all,a second opinion might be a good idea.Or a biopsy..
Swelling is what happens when you have Osteoarthritis(sp?)I know because I have the same,maybe the lump is just a swelling,not cancer?

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Bone cancer is extremely painful. The bone typically shows a "honey comb" pattern of distintegration in an x-ray.

If your cat were younger and there was no metastasis, amputation could be an option, but not at 15.:(

OntarioGreys
April 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
A bone biopsy would tell you for sure whether you cat has cancer.
Amputation for bone cancer is not meant as a cure but a form of pain management and to prevent the chance of fracture from occuring in the affected limb and allow some quality of life for their remaining time could be 3 months to a 1 1/2 years , because the cancer cells are in the bone marrow it will spread elsewhere, it is a very aggressive form of cancer, chemo is often recommended along with amputation to slow down the re-occurence from cropping up elsewhere which may extend life for a year or longer the decision to do an amputation is often decided by where the cancer is located, whether the animals is physically able to support itself on 3 legs and whether or not is has spread to the lungs, and whether it is felt that the animal is mentally able to handle the surgery and life as a tripod, Most animals are standing the following day post amp and can return home 3 to 5 days after and are off pain meds with in couple of weeks and starting to play again.

pain meds alone do very little to manage to pain of bone cancer.

I pray that what what you are dealing with is not bone cancer