Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat resuce contacts needed for london area

shelly75
April 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
First off NO I am not trying to dump my or anyones else's cat I am trying to prvent some from going to the human society.

Someone dumped a mom and kittens off near my friends place out side London she has no interest in keeping these cats so I thought I would look for a resue that she can either bring them or possibly pick them up.

BMDLuver
April 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
This is the beginning of cat and kitten season. Rescues are swamped with unwanted felines. Wondering why the aversion to them ending up at the humane society?

shelly75
April 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM
wouldn't the humae society put them down? I dont want to see that happen. I cannt personally take becasue I am allergic to cats

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Depends on the shelter. In any case, the cat and kittens would be better off there than on the street.

You can try contacting ON cat rescues.

http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Pets/Cats/Rescues_and_Shelters/North_America/Canada/

BMDLuver
April 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Depends on where you take them. If they appear healthy and are a decent age then they are considered adoptable and the humane society would most likely be able to adopt them out.

lezzpezz
April 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Just spoke with a lady that I supply donated food and small cages to, and she says she is happy to take cats/kittens. She seems to have great luck in placing them in homes.

The organization is Animalove Foundation and Heaven Sent Rescue. Christine is the gal I have been dealing with and she is a very warm and sweet lady.

She lives in Glencoe and it is not long distance to call from London. I will send her number to you in a PM. Tell her Leslie sent ya!:D

shelly75
April 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Thank you so much, my firend is very happy now. I saw the kittens today and she thought there were only 2 kittens and a mom well there 4 kittens all black and the mom is greay and long hair if I wasn't so damn allegeric to themI would take them myself:)

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
OMG! So mom and kits are safe??

Thank you Lezzpezz!:thumbs up

shelly75
April 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I called the resuce this am and am waiting for them to call back, so far mom and kitties have homed themselves under the owners deck so they are warm and safe:)

now we need some tips for catching them all (preferably at once) those kittens move fast

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
OH, they're old enough to run fast....so feral I guess.

In that case you need a trap to catch them and you won't catch them all at once.

You must be very careful not to let mom and one of the kittens go into the trap together, or the mother could seriously injure the kitten in her fight to escape. Is the mother feral? If she's not, it'll be a lot easier!

shelly75
April 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
well mom seems to not want to go near the kittens at all as she hisses at them.2 of the kitties are semi friendly (probably looking for food) but the other two are nervous as heck. I still think they are about a month old but it could that they are malnourished too so I dont know.

The house owner is going to now make arrangement for them to the resuces vet and bring them she is very happy that they will be in foster homes verus cages at the humane society.

So would having like two cages be a good idea so she can put them in the one cage as she catches them? and then keeping mom seperate

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
So would having like two cages be a good idea so she can put them in the one cage as she catches them?

Yes, that's how I do it. Have a big cage or dog crate set up with litterbox, food and water, and put each kitten in as they are caught. You need to put smelly food in the trap, something like salmon or tuna.

If the mom is hissing at them - very odd - she needs a separate cage. Is she feral?

Good thing they are going to a foster home, since shelters will not keep feral cats or kittens.

shelly75
April 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
the mom looks way to clean to be feral or even an outdoor cat at all. I dont know, but I know some animals if people touch them too soon mom will ignore them I think that may have something to do with it.