Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Married to Unmarried Name

theresaleslie11
April 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IT AGAINST THE LAW TO USE YOUR MAIDEN NAME INSTEAD OF YOUR MARRIED NAME. I AM SEVERELY DISABLED AND CANNOT GET ANY FUNDING BECAUSE I AM MARRIED. BUT IT I WAS WONDERING IF I USE MY MAIDEN NAME. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE NO IF I CAN BE DONE, WITHOUT GETTING INTO TROUBLE FOR IT.

badger
April 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
This is the wrong thread, but anyway. If you lie about your marital status, in order to get funding (related to your disability?), and the funding agency found out, you would have to pay it all back. You may even be charged with fraud (worst case). Not a good idea.
If you are living apart from your spouse or are in the process of getting a divorce, that's another story. I recommend that you call a disability rights organization and discuss your options with them.

Here's a website: http://www.equalopportunity.on.ca/eng_g/documents/Rights.htm

Blathach
April 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
These posts were moved to their own thread because it did not have any inquiries or comments to the thread it was posted in. OP, please be more specific to your questions.

mafiaprincess
April 10th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I would agree with badger... There would be a high probability that you'd be found out and quite possibly charged with fraud, on top of paying it all back.

(ps for future.. typing all in caps is percieved as yelling.. it's generally thought to be kinda rude)

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I totally agree. If you aren't entitled, you just aren't. I'm curious as to why you would ask a question like that on a pet board? (especially if you have no pets at all :confused: )

jesse's mommy
April 11th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I totally agree. If you aren't entitled, you just aren't. I'm curious as to why you would ask a question like that on a pet board? (especially if you have no pets at all :confused: )

Ditto for me.

Bearsmom
April 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Ah, well, what the heck, I'll toss in my thoughts here....using your maiden name to achieve funding is indeed fraud. Should you get caught, the penalties are fairly serious.

I face questions constantly as when my husband and I married, I didn't take his name, but kept mine. When our son was born, we hyphenated his last name to reflect both our family names. It's a pain in the bum every time we travel outside the country.

CyberKitten
April 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I too kept my maiden name - and am involved with disability rights orgs. NEVER lie about anything - contact one of the groups where you live (either gfor your specific disability or the larger council - I am a mbr of the one here but unsure of what it's called in Ontario) but we get many calls and refer ppl to the right place. If it is funding (ire disability pension)you seek, you have options related either yo your work (You have had to have been employed for at least 2 yrs and paying into CPP) - and then you need your family doctor to outline (and there are certain words and phrases the tribunals look for and sometimes - often actually - people have to appeal and return, even when they are quite ill). Some lawyers specilaize in this (check the phone book) and may be able to help. Most ppl tend to get it by eing VERY ill or their MP assists them in some way but your doc has to write exactly what the appeal board wants to hear. Some docs are good at it, others are less so mostly because it is a great deal of work.

On the other hand, if you have not been employed recently, you may have to go to your provincial social services dept and have your disability decalred as such and then hopefully obtain more than you would. If your husband is employed however and you have savings and RRSP's, etc, etc, the liklihood of success is not that great.

Still, do not know your disability so it is hard to say. Find the right org and see what they say - maybe volunteer, find some way to feel better - you may be in a better position than most if you are married. Look on the bright side! :)

wdawson
April 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM
or
you can try and get away with it and when you get caught we the ontario tax payers will cover your expenses for 5-10....and if you do get away with it it's people like you that are bleeding this country dry....and i thank people like that every two weeks when i look at my pay stub:mad:

Blathach
April 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.