Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hydro Quebec

Frenchy
April 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I don't get it.I'm soooo mad right now,when I bought my house in nov 2004,I called hydro to see how much the past owner paid.They were a couple with a teenager;$75.00/month.They endend up charging me $90.00/month (I live alone) and I have a fireplace place wich runs on oil.Last fall,they didn't charge me for 2 months and a half because I overpaid.Now they are sending me a new bill;I have to pay $164.00/month for the next 6 months:mad: :mad: :mad: !!!I will certainly call them tomorrow to give them a piece of my mind.Any of you received those kind of raise?

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Why don't you just get off the monthly plan? I was never on it. We get billed for whatever we use.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Can you image if I get off the monthly plan how much it would cost me in the winter months?I live alone so I have to be on a budget.It cost me $700.00 for oil in winter so I can't afford to pay even more hydro in winter.I just think it's ridiculous.I know about the raise from hydro but $164.00 per month!When it use to be $90.00,I have a hard time with this.

Prin
April 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Did they approve the rate hike? I remember hearing it in the news last month- that people were outraged by the enormous increase, but I don't know if I heard the result...

All I know is right now, we pay among the least in Canada for our electricity, so we can't really complain (even if they're ripping us off). :evil:

All I can say is if you have a house, insulate like madness and install programmable thermostats. Our house is bigger than our old apartment and overall, it has been cheaper to heat. Our old apartment (1 bedroom) was $400 for two months in the winter. Here, (2 bedrooms) it's $300 instead. :thumbs up But that's because we put two thick layers of insulation in the attic and we shut off the heaters in which ever rooms we're not in. We also have tiny appliances, so we don't waste a lot. Our dishwasher is a countertop one (save a bundle on hot water- it uses less than a sinkful per load) and our fridge is half the width of a normal one. It's the little things that add up.

I have to add too, when we got Boo, he heated our apartment up 2 degrees. Seriously. Doggies cost a lot, but they also give off a lot of heat. :thumbs up

chico2
April 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I take it your house is heated by oil:confused:
$164/monthly seems like a lot,depending on the size of your house.
We pay $200-$250 bi-monthly for a 3-bedroom house,we have a gasfurnace,fireplace and stove and do everything to save on Hydro.
Also,we are due for another raise in the near future!!
I do not believe in any plan,better to take your chances and preserve as much as you can.

Writing4Fun
April 11th, 2006, 07:59 AM
If you heat by oil, that is waaaay too much to pay for Hydro! I agree with getting off the plan and just paying as you go. It sounds like they have no idea what they're doing with the payment plan.

poodletalk
April 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Hydro cut everyone's hydro in the area where I live on Sunday to do repairs. The hydro was out from 7:30 am till 5:00 pm. They didn't notify anyone, which I don't think it's right.

Yesterday, they cut everyone's hydro again, while we were at work to do the repairs without notifying which I find annoying.

Are they going to pay for people's milk that's going sour or the fresh seafood that's going to spoil without refrigeration?

Prin
April 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
They're supposed to notify you 24hours ahead.:confused: It's hard to get good help, eh?

papillonmama
April 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM
OMGosh, I must be getting bamboozled, big time, this winter my hydro was between three and four hundred dollars every two months. I only have a two bedroom flat, and one of the rooms I don't even use inthe winter. Not only that here in ontario they are raising the rates, I got a notice about it yesterday, they should tell you where to write to complain. I'm downright mad. a couple of weeks ago I paid almost 7 hundred for two bills, and they sent me a notice about 200 that I still owe, here' let me just pull that out of my pocket, I mean, hey, who needs food anyways???

Frenchy
April 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Well I called them and just wasted my time.I told the woman,what if I can't spend that money for the next few months (I just got a huge vet bill for Daisy operation) she said they could help me by taking me out of the budget plan but I have to pay $600.00 right now.How would that help me!It was talking to a brick wall.She said that I did take that much hydro (how could I,this winter was warmer than last year) so I guess I just have to shut up and pay.It's so frustrating,everything is going up (gaz price raise again today) and my salary stays the same.So I vote for ; everybody in the same situation,we should buy a big house in the country and live together with all our animals (like in the 60's) who's in?;)

wdawson
April 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
i'd be in for the commune type house ........but at $1.02 a litre for gas the commute would kill me........guess i'll stay here.........your bills should give you the actual monthly usage.......i'm on the budget......and it shows the actual monthly usage for the same period last year.

Prin
April 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I think they're raising the gas prices just to prepare us for a gouging in the summer. It was 1.08 all last week. :rolleyes:

So she won't let you off the payment plan thing? What the hey?

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I signed a 5 year fixed rate contract for hydro and gas so my prices have stayed the same, initially it was higher then the actual cost, but now with the hydro and natural cost increases I am paying far less, but when the 5 years ends which is later this year, I am going to see a very huge increase in my bills because utilities have had huge increases in the price the last 2 years, I have used fixed fee contacts with my natural gas for 10 years now or 2 terms and will continue as it has saved me money over the long haul, the first 2 years I tend to pay more by the 3rd I am breaking even then the last 2 years is where the savings have kicked in, for gas and hydro the saving have been huge this term

My house is a 4 bedroom brick bungalow, I keep the house at 75F because I start aching if I get cold
My furnace, dryer, stove and hot water all run on natural gas I am on a budget plan so normally have 2 months a year with no payments My monthly bill is $108

The rest runs on hydro $107 a month which also include sewer and water charges