- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Hrmmm.. Max is still not much better...

April 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hey guys,

I posted a week and a half ago concerning my kitty Max, who woke us at 2am crying in pain and walking with a limp. We took him into the vet who sedated him, checked out his entire leg and found no broken bones. Rather than pay for an x-ray, which wasn't necessary, we told he most likely had soft tissue damage or may have broken a smaller bone. We were given a type of ibuprofen to help with his swelling and pain and then sent home.

Now the update, he's pretty mopey and still visibly limping. He can't really do the things he used to anymore (like jumping on counters :p). No more chasing toys, he just sits around a lot. He uses his front paws to get him up his cat tree, and barely touches the sore leg to the ground. I can tell he's still in pain and have been giving him the rest of his meds, but the're almost gone.. He REALLY wants to go play outdoors with his buddys, but i've been keeping him inside for now. Should I wait it out a little longer? He has improved some, but not a lot. I'm not sure if I should take him back to that vet who didn't find anything wrong with him. It pains me to see him like this, but cannot afford another vet visit until Friday. Poor lil guy, bored out of his mind. Any suggestions on how to make this easier for both of us?

April 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
A cat limping and you didn't get an x-ray because a body check with a sedated animal was it? My apologies, but I've broken my own bones before and not known it (one particular wrist fracture comes to mind) that wouldn't have been obvious BUT for the xray. He's not healing quickly, still mopey, all these things point to something other than a soft tissue injury, which tells me you're heading back for another visit. You may also want to ask your vet about payment options, I know I would rather have to stretch out payments to make sure my dogs WEREN'T seriously injured rather than skimp only to have worse be going on for a longer amount of time. Good luck, I hope you take him back for the x-rays he needs and that he feels better soon.

April 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I agree.. One time, I went to the hospital for allergies and sinus pain and the dr took an xray and found out my nose was about to fall off (I broke it really badly and hadn't realized). Xrays are essential in this case, IMO.

April 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I agree with the everyone,I'm sure there might be more to it than your vet said,maybe the vet sensed that you did not have a lot of money and gave you a diagnosis hoping he was right.
But it is obvious he was not,as poor Max is still in pain and visibly so.
I hope you get an x-ray done and hopefully your vet is good enough to let you pay in installments.
Good Luck to you and poor Max!

April 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I don't wish to go off topic, but in the UK we have an organisation called the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA).
This is a charity, which offers medical care to pets for a donation. Old folks, people on low incomes, etc can have the best of care and give WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD. Is there such an organisation over there?

Sorry to go off-thread


April 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Most vets will make payment arrangements. Do hope you`ve gotten an xray by now especially with the long weekend coming up. Keep us posted and good luck with Max.:fingerscr :pawprint: