Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grapes and Raisin poisoning in dogs

amaruq
December 15th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I was doing some searching and came across this article. Oh my goodness..I was more then a little shocked.

I will be more careful as I have been known to give my pups. Here is article:



Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.


I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM

mona_b
December 16th, 2003, 09:07 AM
No there is no need to panic it they have a few.I have 2 GSD's.And I have this great book about the breed.Tells you everything.Also what they can have.They can have grapes.Just a few.Not that mine like them.They are more into eating the raspberries of the bush.Hahaha.But what I was shocked at is that they can also have cottage cheese and yogurt.Go figure.:rolleyes:

Bueller's Mommy
December 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM
I recall reading somewhere that it's actually the 'seeds' in grapes that contain the toxins. Also with most fruit the seeds and pits are poisonous to dogs such as cherry pits, peach pits, apple seeds etc. My parents have fed all 3 of their dachshunds grapes for years and they're all fine. In fact, Wally the oldest one LOVED grapes and he lived to be 15! No worries.

Luba
December 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
The consumption would have to be rather high...but a good idea not to give anyway.

Same with Chocolate, consumption has to be a LOT but since it's toxic to them why bother giving any right!!

smiles

Carina
December 17th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Same with onions, a little piece they may get in human leftovers (if you allow that) won't hurt. But if a dog gets onions, or something even containing onion powder, on a regular basis, they can get a potentially life threatening anemia.

I've read of people who give a little baby food along with their dog's regular food; it's wise to check the ingredients for onion flavouring.

daisy18216
December 18th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I never knew that grapes and raisins were poisonious in dogs.

I don't give them any anyway, but the kids on the other hand that's a different story. I'll have to watch my kids when they eat grapes, and raisins so they don't give any to our dogs. They love to share their food w/the dogs.

Thanks for the info.:)