Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preping for a move?

BernerLver
April 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM
DH and I are in the process of looking for a new larger home with a more spacious yard for the boys.

I'm not 100% sure of what the timing will be as we have to sell our current house, just curious if there are things I need to consider now to make the move as stress-free as posible on the boys.

I am a little more worried about our older guy as he has only been with us for a couple months However we often take them to FIL place if we are going to be away for long periods of time and he seems quite happy.

Neither has exhibited any issues but I want to plan ahead just in case.

TIA.

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I didn't wash their beds for a while before moving, and I also used words they understood to try to explain it to them.. We'd drive by the new house and I'd say "See that? That's Mommy, Daddy, Jemma and Boo's house". And I'd rearrange it in different ways so that hopefully they'd get it eventually. It wasn't too bad. They just thought we were on vacation and it worried them a bit more than usual when we left.

Oh, another thing I've learned with "second-hand" doggies: never leave them alone in the new house when it's empty. That totally freaks them out. My dad is moving and he has his dog there while he paints and we just went down stairs for a minute and when we came back up, the doggy was SOOO upset. So ya, don't leave them there until you're moved in.

rainbow
April 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
My husband`s in construction and we`ve moved lots. We`ve always had dogs and cats that have moved with us and have never had a problem.

One move was from Cranbrook, B.C. (southeast corner) to Kitimat, B.C. (northwest corner) with a big U-Haul truck. We had two dogs and one (totally indoor) cat with us and had to stay overnight at a motel halfway there. The cat was in the front of the U-Haul truck with us and slept most of the way and wasn`t even sedated. The dogs were in our pick-up which was driven by a friend who was also moving to Kitimat whom the dogs had met just once. We stopped lots for the dogs to run and pee and stuff.

Everything went really well. I was actually really amazed as I was so concerned about how my "kids" would do...especially our indoor cat. When we got to our new place we put the cat in a bedroom with her litter box, food and water. I mostly went in to play with her while the guys unloaded the truck. The dogs were outside in the fenced yard after they investigated their new house and I`d go back and forth between them and the cat. It all went very well.:thumbs up

tenderfoot
April 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
So long as you are there they are home. You are the constant and the guiding force in their lives so if they sense your comfort and happiness in the new home they should adjust beautifully.
If they are crate trained it can be handy to help them feel at home because their crates (like their beds) are their special place no matter where they are.