Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why cant stores let you buy stuff already put together

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
In the past few months we have bought furniture from different box stores
So why do you have to put it together - why can't you just take it home is as. We have this deacons bench that we got at one store .I have it all put together except for the lid that has hinges on it - and is impossible to put together - there is no guide wholes and the diagram is totally 2 dimensional - we have tried about 4 times to get this lid on right.

I even went to the store to take a pic only of the hinge with my cell phone so I could get a better idea - when this store rep comes running up and freaks out on me for taking pics in the store - so I guess I am back to the diagram and our useless bench thats impossible to put together.

Then my new desk - I ask can't I have the one on the floor - no but its really easy to put together. So my hubby offers to put it together - he comes upstairs all red in the face "don't buy it unless its already put together - if you can't then go somewhere else"

So for the sake of my marriage and my sanity why can't we buy stuff already put together. :evil: :D :D

jjgeonerd
April 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
You can...it just costs a WHOLE lot more! ;)

Writing4Fun
April 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
That, and it's a lot harder to get it home. :)

That store rep who freaked on you for taking pictures in the store? I would have freaked right back on him/her and told them exactly where they can put their effin bench. I also would have taken their name, disassembled the bench, brought it back for a refund and told them exactly who they can blame for that. Then again, I'm PMSing, so...:evil:

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM
That, and it's a lot harder to get it home. :)

That store rep who freaked on you for taking pictures in the store? I would have freaked right back on him/her and told them exactly where they can put their effin bench. I also would have taken their name, disassembled the bench, brought it back for a refund and told them exactly who they can blame for that. Then again, I'm PMSing, so...:evil:

That's exactly what I would do too...:D

jiorji
April 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM
uhhh I dunno ...i find diagrams to be fairly easy to follow.

there ARE stores that only sell assembled furniture. It's called. P*** 1. hehe...and well nothing's below $1000 and well try loading them in people's cars is no fun either. Especially when presistent stubborn women want you to load a medium sized desk in a 2 door tiny car. You know what happens? You end up making a hole in teh car's roof cos the woman kept telling you to push the desk in the car, although you repeatedly told her it\s not going anywhere, and then have her yell at you for damaging her car!!

ARGH! Cos she couldn\t wait 1 hour for her husband to come home with the stration wagon.

I think i'm pmsing too.*gives Writing4Fun a high 5* hehe

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I think i'm pmsing too.*gives Writing4Fun a high 5* hehe

You two are making me feel left out...:rolleyes:

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
You two are making me feel left out...
LOL LOL I have NEVER heard a man say that about PMS. I'm gonna delete the :rolleyes: and pretend it's not sarcastic for a minute... Savoring the moment...

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Well, jiorji and W4F made it sound like they were enjoying it with all the high-fiving and stuff :p

Plus, I can't pass up a good opportunity like that to make a funny comment :D

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
lol of course not!

BTW JECM, I love assembling. The harder the better! Then regardless of where you bought it, you can brag about how you MADE that piece of furniture.:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
writing for fun That store rep who freaked on you for taking pictures in the store? I would have freaked right back on him/her and told them exactly where they can put their effin bench. I also would have taken their name, disassembled the bench, brought it back for a refund and told them exactly who they can blame for that. Then again, I'm PMSing, so...

I know I drove specifically to that store - alll the way accross town just to take a picture of the inside of the bench - maybe she thought I was gonna take her pic and post it all over the net or something

but I dont see why you cant just take it off the shelf as is - your still buying it and their still getting your business.

Prin=
BTW JECM, I love assembling. The harder the better! Then regardless of where you bought it, you can brag about how you MADE that piece of furniture.

well I almost made except for the lid - which as no guide holes for the screws so you have to estimate where they go so the lid shuts properly.

chico2
April 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I love putting things together too,it used to be only IKEA made you do it yourself,but now it seems every store does.
We have a HUGE computerdesk,with drawers,doors,shelves etc..and it was not cheap,it took us a whole day to put it together:D
Hubby always think's he is soooo smart,does not need instructions:rolleyes: that's why it took us a whole day!!

technodoll
April 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
good stores often offer "in-home assembly service"... got that with the TV stand/ library combo and the bed platform... they deliver & assemble on the spot. usually included in the price of the purchase. the best of both worlds! no harm in asking and if they say no... shop elsewhere , heh heh!
:rolleyes:

jiorji
April 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I love putting things together too,it used to be only IKEA made you do it yourself,but now it seems every store does.
We have a HUGE computerdesk,with drawers,doors,shelves etc..and it was not cheap,it took us a whole day to put it together:D
Hubby always think's he is soooo smart,does not need instructions:rolleyes: that's why it took us a whole day!!

oh please!! Ikea 's stuff is too easy to put together. *yawn*
But they are getting better at it. Sometimes you get lucky enough and buy a furniture piece that's missing a tool that you absolutely NEED to finish the project. Or the tool you get...like that L shaped key...they give you what i call a "sample" cos it's so small and useless you get cramps in your hand from holding it and tightening somethign in place hehe....so better off...go buy your own tools. Yes I'm a girl and I am proud of my tool collection :D hehe

Melei'sMom
April 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM
well I almost made except for the lid - which as no guide holes for the screws so you have to estimate where they go so the lid shuts properly.

Want to know how to do that?

Put the hinges on the top-seat part. rub chalk on the other part of the of the hinges...put it on the way it is supposed to fit and you will have your marks. Just make sure you use the chalk thick and once you have it lined up, if you can, sorta slip your hand in while you lift it just enough to fit and push on the hinge to make sure you get a good mark.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Melei'sMom= Want to know how to do that?

Put the hinges on the top-seat part. rub chalk on the other part of the of the hinges...put it on the way it is supposed to fit and you will have your marks. Just make sure you use the chalk thick and once you have it lined up, if you can, sorta slip your hand in while you lift it just enough to fit and push on the hinge to make sure you get a good mark.

thank you we will give that a try - or we cut just pretend is together and leave the cushion just sitting on the top :D

mafiaprincess
April 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I love being miss fix it.. I can follow the stupidest of diagrams.. but, I've found that in a lot of the things I've bought, there have been some pretty big screw ups..

Pieces too short.. screws of the wrong type.. not enough.. undrilled holes..
Most of which I've been able to compensate for.. but it is truely annoying,..

I find the floor model of something I'd rarely want though.. Usually it's been worn enough that even discounted, it wouldn't be an addition I'd be happy with.

raingirl
April 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I LOVE assembling furniture myself. But then again, I also like building furniture and all those handly type things. I too have my own tool collection.

What type of hinges are they? plain or normal hinges or more like the hinges you find on your cabinets?

raingirl
April 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Oh...here's a nice link with pics on how to install hinges fool proof!

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/09/17/sn/