Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food Advice Please!!!

Lilybug
April 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone...
I posted a little while ago about Lily - 41/2 mos old std. poodle. She has just come off antibiotics for a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract. She has been eating boiled chicken and rice for a week and a half. I began to reintroduce her food (Innova puppy formula) 3 days ago. Yesterday, her stools began to soften and turn yellow again...as well, she spent the day panting on and off (panting and restless). I don't think the Innova is agreeing with poor Lily. The vet has also tried her on his brand - MediCal, but she did even worse on that! So I am thinking that she needs to be changed to something that may be more agreeable. When she came home with us, the breeder was feeding her Purina Puppy Chow - she did not have any problems with it. But, I just can't bring myself to feed her that! So, here are some of the premium foods that are available in my area: Wellness (Duck and rice), Canidae, Nutro...please offer advice...my vet really wants to try her on the MediCal Duck and Rice formula, but after two bad rounds of MediCal, I am not interested in trying for a third! Thanks everyone...
Cindy

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
You need to use a new food much longer than 3 days to see how the dog will do on it.

You also need to introduce it very slowly. If you want to try, for example, Wellness, then keep her on her chicken and rice, and at every feeding add a bit more of the dog food, until it's all dog food and no chicken and rice.

You must not keep switching and not all at once. That's what's causing the diarrhea.

mastifflover
April 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM
It takes a good few weeks to really make a change. As Lucky said do it slowly the slower the better.

Lilybug
April 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice...we haven't actually been switching her a lot. She's been on the Innova since I brought her home and we have had on & off problems since then. I did not realize that those problems were likely caused by the Innova (occasional vomiting and loose stools). The vet put her on MediCal gastro formula when she developed the bacterial infection, because he believed that the Innova was contributing to her problems...however, she did not tolerate the MediCal at all - she vomited it up at every meal! So he then said to put her on boiled chicken and rice to give her tummy a rest! Now she is off the antibiotics, and I have been re-introducing the Innova very, very slowly (she is only getting 1/4 cup Innova and the rest is boiled chicken and rice) and as I say, yesterday her stools started to get soft and turn yellow again. As well she was panting pretty heavy on and off all day - she was clearly uncomfortable! So, that's why I am asking the questions that I am... My vet is not much help - his anwer to her dietary upsets is to put her on MediCal...If she needs to stay on Innova a little longer to see if there is truly an allergy there, then ok, I can do that...I am just worried about her...and doing my best to feed her the best food I can!

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM
(she is only getting 1/4 cup Innova and the rest is boiled chicken and rice

No, I mean literally only a few bits of kibble at first, because your dog already had stomach problems.

My vet is not much help - his anwer to her dietary upsets is to put her on MediCal
Yeah, we know.:(

Lilybug
April 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Oh...okay, I did not realize that it was THAT slow...so ideally, I should have her back to the Innova over a period of ??? 2 weeks, a month? She is of course fine on the boiled chicken and rice. So I certainly don't mind taking as long as we need to, to get her eating well again. Thanks for your help...

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
In a healthy puppy you could do it more quickly, but your pup has already experienced major gastric problems. What did she have? Coccidia, giardia...?

If you double the amount of kibbles each day, shouldn't take too long. 3 the first day, 6 the next, then 12 etc.

Decrease the amount of chicken/rice, although it might be a good idea to keep adding the water you cooked the rice in, for awhile.