Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question regarding Rabies shot

teddybear1003
April 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have a 5 month old puppy who got his rabies shot April 3 on his right side. Today I noticed that he has a lump on his right hip, seems really close to the hip bone. At first I wasn't sure if I was feeling his hip bone or an actuall lump. But it is definately a lump probably a little bit bigger than a pea. Could this be a delayed reaction to the shot. He has never had one before. I am going to call the vet in the morning but for now it is really worrying me

dolphinmed
April 20th, 2006, 01:34 AM
hello,
i have a friend that had the same thing happen to her puppy...it is a reaction to the shot and it does go away in about a week...she was told to use cold compresses on it which helped....hope yours is doing better:

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM
As vaccines are given in the loose skin around the neck, near the shoulder blades, not sure how a lump would end up at the hip area? Unless your vet gave the injection in that exact spot? I would call and speak with the vet or a tech to followup on this.

Beaglemom
April 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
The rabies shot is normally given as an intramuscular vaccine in the back end of the animal. The combo vaccines (DHPP) are normally subcutaneous vaccines given in the area between the shoulder blades (preferred as is less painful) or in the back end of the animal as well (tends to be more painful though). A bump/lump sometimes does happen at injection sites but usually go away. You should call your vet and inform them of the bump, they may want to see him again just to make sure everything is okay. It is a good idea that they know about it anyway for the next time he gets his vaccinations.

Here is a link that provides some information about possible reactions to vaccines.
http://www.allpetsveterinary.com/care.htm

chico2
April 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
My vet too gives the shots in the muscle in the hip-area,no more back-of-the neck,says it's safer.
She also told me to look out for any reaction..I would call the vet,just to be safe..

jesse's mommy
April 20th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Last time Jesse had her shots the doctor gave it to her in her hip and hurt her pretty bad. She limped for about a week and had this huge lump on her hip for three weeks. Of course she loved being pampered because of her "boo boo", but it's really damaged her mental state about going to a vet or for that matter seeing someone dressed in a uniform or someone in all one color. She now freaks out and gets REALLY scared. She is petrified of the vet now. It's actually marked on her file in Maryland "aggressive" because she jumped back and did the protective "nipping" when the vet tried to touch her again. Just so you know I strongly use the word nipping and not biting -- she didn't lunge or show her teeth, she just nipped. But it's more than she's ever done to anyone in her life. She really is the sweetest kindest dog in the world, but is petrified and very defensive at the vets or with anyone who is dressed in all one color. She even got scared of my grandmother who was just sitting on a recliner in a sweat suit that was all one color. As soon as my grandmother changed her clothes, Jesse was fine and kissing her and cuddling her.

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
As vaccines are given in the loose skin around the neck, near the shoulder blades, not sure how a lump would end up at the hip area? Unless your vet gave the injection in that exact spot? I would call and speak with the vet or a tech to followup on this.
It seems to be the norm in this thread to get it in the hip, but mine, as far as I remember, always got it in the neck skin or back skin too.:confused:

phoenix
April 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
My dogs always receive rabies in the butt/hip area... and as beaglemom said, combo vax in the shoulderblade area. Not sure why...

Beaglemom
April 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM
It is believed that the rabies vaccine is more effective given via intramuscular injection whereas the combo vaccine is effective either way. It is up to the veterinary clinic to decide which they would prefer to use though, subcutaneous or intramuscular.

Beaglemom
April 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
It is believed that the rabies vaccine is more effective given via intramuscular injection whereas the combo vaccine is effective either way. It is up to the veterinary clinic to decide which they would prefer to use though, subcutaneous or intramuscular.

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Maybe if the vet thinks we're overvaccinating as it is, he doesn't think it's important to be as efficient with the vaccine? I dunno. *shrugs*